Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

What do you have to do to get banned from the Unpopular Opinions thread?

Express a highly popular opinion? :dunno:

Probably just introducing a diatribe of Uncle Provocateur politics into every thread might do it? 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Probably just introducing a diatribe of Uncle Provocateur politics into every thread might do it? 

I've not seen that happening.

In this case, someone criticised the role played by the Labour Opposition and someone else replied.

Anyway, not worth pursuing that. It would be an unpopular contribution to the Unpopular Opinions thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Might be controversial but I find the videos of these nurses doing dances & making videos a bit of a pisstake. 

Why? 

Are they not allowed a bit of fun or downtime if it's quiet, or if they work on a generally quieter ward? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toddybad said:

Regarding 3. Labour is being extremely grown up under Starmar. The whole point of an opposition is it holds the government to account. Opposing parties have successfully pushed back on lack of testing and comparisons with how other countries are tackling the crisis. Even government ministers accept this role is vital. Without Starmar putting Raab on notice that he'll be asking about non-hospital deaths again next week does anybody really think the government would be rushing to find out the answer and publish it? The same is true of other elements of the government's response - it's not just moaning, it's about constructive criticism that leads to better government. It's an important role.

See the next comment, as my views. 

Not disagreeing, but right now when we are in unprecedented situation?

4 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

What do you have to do to get banned from the Unpopular Opinions thread?

Express a highly popular opinion? :dunno:

Nowt to do with what thread it is Alf ..   Toddy attracts bans like flies to shit ..  the mods even have a special toddy-ban button as they use it so much ..  😁

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, bovril said:

Mad considering some of the weird stuff posted in here that posters are worried about getting banned for engaging in pretty tame debate about politics. 

Twas just a joke marmite ..  when I get really bored I like to follow Toddy around and tell him to be careful as he might get banned ...   doesn't really matter what thread as long as there is just the slightest whiff of politics in it ....   as it happens Toddy actually made a good point which which in turn made my joke even better ....   however ! ..   others seem to be a bit confused by it so I hope this now clarifies the situation ...    I am now going to leave by the side door.   

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Twas just a joke marmite ..  when I get really bored I like to follow Toddy around and tell him to be careful as he might get banned ...   doesn't really matter what thread as long as there is just the slightest whiff of politics in it ....   as it happens Toddy actually made a good point which which in turn made my joke even better ....   however ! ..   others seem to be a bit confused by it so I hope this now clarifies the situation ...    I am now going to leave by the side door.   

Oh yeah I wasn't accusing you of wanting him banned or anything, just that the mods seem to have been a bit over-zealous recently. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Why's that? 

Why would any sane government do something that will only exacerbate the massive disruption to the economy, trade, business and medical research partnerships caused by the worst global pandemic in a century?

Brexit was always, at best, massively ambitious to the point of fantasy, but it now looks ****ing suicidal. 

14 hours ago, turkish14 said:

1: Clap for heroes is great, but granted we won’t do so, next time our armed forces are at war.

2: The journalist at the press conferences are stupid. The questions asked? 😣

3: why don’t labour save their  views on how the government are dealing with the pandemic until its calmed down. It just reeks too f opportunist points scoring. 

I know that they've had a change of leadership, but actually I think that until recently Labour has been missing in action throughout this crisis.  If they keep quiet and don't  propose any different course of action, when the dust settles, they can do all the blame and finger pointing without ever having been wrong themselves or taking any responsibility.

26 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Why would any sane government do something that will only exacerbate the massive disruption to the economy, trade, business and medical research partnerships caused by the worst global pandemic in a century?

I think they're banking on people not noticing it that much due to the pandemic. Like leaving a tap on in an already flooded house. 

12 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I suspect this would be actually quite a pouplar opinion- Lynx Afrixa is 25 years old today,  how it has stayed in the range while better alternatives came and gone is beyond me.  

Agreed - Lynx Mirage was my favourite.

38 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I suspect this would be actually quite a pouplar opinion- Lynx Afrixa is 25 years old today,  how it has stayed in the range while better alternatives came and gone is beyond me.  

Is that just your opinion and if so, why is it beyond you?

13 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Of course. Everything like that is opportunistic and insincere. A haulage firm in Shepshed plastered a giant sign on the side of one their trucks and parked it in their yard so it was visible from the main road. The sign was a gushing tribute to the nhs. I don't work there, I don't live in Shepshed, nor do I travel past it. I only know because it was plastered all over facebook a couple of weeks back. People lap that kind of shit up because we live in a world where we compete to show the most grief or gratitude in public. So the bigger or more public the tribute the better, because people love it. There'll be a large group of people completely opposite to you who think Gumtree are now a wonderful, caring company.

Exactly. It's the whole process of showing competitive grief/support/sympathy. It's like when we won the league everyone tried to tell the best story they could of how they celebrated. When players die opposing fans go "I'm an X fan but RIP." Companies need to corporately wrap themselves in the poppy, emblazon themselves with NHS support. Not only does it get DA LIKES, it heads of the crazed gang of people who tear into anyone who don't partake in virtue signalling.

• Like 3

On 26/04/2020 at 08:06, turkish14 said:

1: Clap for heroes is great, but granted we won’t do so, next time our armed forces are at war.

2: The journalist at the press conferences are stupid. The questions asked? 😣

3: why don’t labour save their  views on how the government are dealing with the pandemic until its calmed down. It just reeks too f opportunist points scoring. 

This might hold weight if the government were 100% transparent with absolutely no spin, no embellishment. Total honesty. What's clear is that this is absolutely not the case, so they need to be held accountable as a result.

Basically why can't Labour be opportunist point scorers when those in power are taking to be opportunist point scorers? Smells a bit Orwellian when you start thinking only the government can, tbh.

• Like 1