Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

They're certainly culpable for what happened to their own citizens, but IMO once such a thing goes global responsibility for it spreading within a country or not solely rests with the government of that country, not where it started.

If we're not ignoring the Chinese government role, there could well be other governments of somewhat friendlier flavours that need not be ignored when this is all over, too.

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

It looks like a poor living conditions and a laissez faire attitude towards sanitary behaviour are the cause of the outbreak, and the Chinese government's attitude towards human rights is very much the cause of those attitudes.

I agree, other countries need be held accountable - however this really does land on the Chinese Government's doorstep. Stop your citizens from starving and living in such poor conditions that gutter oil seems a sensible choice.

It does indeed - but again, only so far as the spread within their own country and the introduction of it to other countries, as opposed to the spread of it within those countries IMO.

28 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The testimony of that doctor may have saved lives within China and maybe stopped the spread of Covid-19 to other countries (very much a maybe), but I fail to see what his warning has to do with the spread of the virus once it has found its way to other nations.

My point about all this is that it would be very easy to blame the Chinese government alone - as culpable as they are, and they really are - for this and so overlook the actions of governments in other places who through incompetence and (maybe) malice also allowed this virus to spread the way that it has.

Edited by leicsmac

• 2 weeks later...

"I Believe In Miracles"

I know it's about Notts Forest but it's a very well put together documentary.

They really did have a bonkers few years.

Mid table in the Second Division in 1976 and within four years won promotion, the Division One title, one Charity Shield, two League Cups, two European Cups and one Super Cup.

On the plus side, they've been shiite for over 20 years.

If I could keep my friends but just have shameful small parties and get togethers where the world felt like it was ending - I’d be fine. 

i like having hours to devote without shame to my books, and my dog taking a nap with me, and my wife and I cooking. 

Edited by UPinCarolina

2 hours ago, los dedos said:

Some people that work in the NHS are dicks. They think nothing faking injuries/illness knowing they can get away with it .

What's worse is it puts pressure on the majority of staff that have to cover for them .

What the feck is this? Firstly as I’m sure you’re aware there are dicks in almost every industry and walk of life. 
Where has this story about faking illness or injury come from? 
Nurses, Doctors, paramedics and all other staff in his hospitals routinely put their lives on the line for us to be safe.

They are finally getting some credit and appreciation for what they do.

I know this is the unpopular opinions thread, but that was a dick move by you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest MattP
On 13/03/2020 at 12:28, leicsmac said:

They're certainly culpable for what happened to their own citizens, but IMO once such a thing goes global responsibility for it spreading within a country or not solely rests with the government of that country, not where it started.

I can't help but have the feeling if the Trump government has murdered a doctor who had tried to warn us about this you wouldn't be so keen to only put that on being responsible for his own citizens.

20 minutes ago, MattP said:

I can't help but have the feeling if the Trump government has murdered a doctor who had tried to warn us about this you wouldn't be so keen to only put that on being responsible for his own citizens.

Agree with this, Chinese govt are responsible for a lot of preventable death with their face saving authoritarianism.

But so is the UK government that spent almost a whole decade cutting funding to our NHS, so are the millions of people who created an environment where foreign health workers no longer felt comfortable providing their services in the UK, so is the man who ran a disinformation campaign implicitly promising to vastly improve NHS resources as a cynical ploy to achieve a modicum of power within that aforementioned hostile environment.

If you believe in personal responsibility you have to believe in it for everybody.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, MattP said:

I know you likely won't believe me in the same way that I don't believe you when you say you want to see meaningful action on climate change ( :ph34r: ), but honestly, I really would.

People keep telling me that national sovereignty is a thing and we live in a world with borders rather than not...well, if that is indeed the case then responsibility for what happens within those borders cuts both ways. Unless various world leaders accept that there are in fact issues that are truly international rather than simply bashing the jingoistic drum for the sake of votes, then each of them should play by the rules they themselves set.

Probably not a massively unpopular opinion but deleting threads about subjects like Stephen Yaxley-Lennon only fuels the arguments and the victim complex of the people duped into fighting his corner. Sometimes you have to give people the rope to hang themselves. Plus the rest of us get a good chuckle out of it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Probably not a massively unpopular opinion but deleting threads about subjects like Stephen Yaxley-Lennon only fuels the arguments and the victim complex of the people duped into fighting his corner. Sometimes you have to give people the rope to hang themselves. Plus the rest of us get a good chuckle out of it.

I'm disappointed. It had the makings of a classic

Guest MattP
23 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Agree with this, Chinese govt are responsible for a lot of preventable death with their face saving authoritarianism.

But so is the UK government that spent almost a whole decade cutting funding to our NHS, so are the millions of people who created an environment where foreign health workers no longer felt comfortable providing their services in the UK, so is the man who ran a disinformation campaign implicitly promising to vastly improve NHS resources as a cynical ploy to achieve a modicum of power within that aforementioned hostile environment.

If you believe in personal responsibility you have to believe in it for everybody.

Putting less funding in you mean, saying they've "cut funding" just isn't true and you know it.

IMG_20200328_083129.jpg

12 hours ago, MattP said:

Putting less funding in you mean, saying they've "cut funding" just isn't true and you know it.

IMG_20200328_083129.jpg

I take your point that the accusation should be "less funding growth" or "insufficient funding to meet needs" (a subjective political judgment), not "cut funding".

However, your graph does tell a story. Hard to tell exact spending figures from that graph, but approximately.....

- In real terms, increased from £65bn in 1997 to £135bn in 2010......then from £135bn in 2010 to £150bn in 2017?

- So, it rose by more than 100% over 13 years of Labour Govt, then rose by about 11% over 7 years of Tory Govt?

Yes, it wasn't "cut".....Yes, you can't meet every possible health need.....Yes, spending cash isn't the be-all and end-all.... 

But when (1) the population has grown markedly; (2) there are a lot more old people who need more care; (3) extra treatments/equipment are now available....

The Tory record has been pretty miserly, even if it hasn't been as miserly with health as it has been in other spending areas.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

These huge football team players taking wage cuts isn't as brilliant as it's being made out to be. 

The players on ridiculous money cutting in half when they're sitting on millions in the bank. 

Regardless of them sitting on millions it's still something they're not obliged to do but will be doing. Think it just needs to be taken as the good gesture its intended to be :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Regardless of them sitting on millions it's still something they're not obliged to do but will be doing. Think it just needs to be taken as the good gesture its intended to be :)

To be honest the huge amounts tax and ni they pay on their full salary is probably much needed now in the NHS. They'd be better taking full pay and donating half.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Yeah you're right that it's something they don't need to do and hence is nice of them to do. But at same the same time even those earning smaller contracts will earn what many do in a year, in a few weeks  

Guest MattP
On 28/03/2020 at 08:55, leicsmac said:

I know you likely won't believe me in the same way that I don't believe you when you say you want to see meaningful action on climate change ( :ph34r: ), but honestly, I really would.

You might be surprised here but after seeing the pictures of swans returning to the clear water of the canals in Venice it really hit me just how much damage we are doing to the natural beauty of the planet.

Let's hope one of the things that comes out of this is we only travel by car or plane when its essential and hopefully start to appreciate our surroundings a bit more.