Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think that's what winds a lot of people up, even some LGBT folk, and probably part of what the hilariously and unfortunately named somebum was possibly trying to get at. It's an important cause IMO but it feels to me that a lot of the time it gets hijacked by companies just to be popular, and just comes across as very insincere. There's a difference between say, the Rainbow Laces campaign, and M&S bringing out an LGBT sandwich. One's promoting inclusivity and respect, the other is, you could argue, rather cynically trying to profit off it. A lot of LGBT people could find the latter offensive, and I can see why.

I do like your new profile pic tho.

Apparently he's selling prints of it... :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think that's what winds a lot of people up, even some LGBT folk, and probably part of what the hilariously and unfortunately named somebum was possibly trying to get at. It's an important cause IMO but it feels to me that a lot of the time it gets hijacked by companies just to be popular, and just comes across as very insincere. There's a difference between say, the Rainbow Laces campaign, and M&S bringing out an LGBT sandwich. One's promoting inclusivity and respect, the other is, you could argue, rather cynically trying to profit off it. A lot of LGBT people could find the latter offensive, and I can see why.

Yeah, one raises money for LGBT charities and one is tokenistic signalling from an industry where employees still feel unable to come out.

49 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I actually don't mind the little gestures like the LGBT sandwich, so long as its not a hollow gesture and the company behind is doing something substantial to back it up. In M&S' case it looks like they're donating a fixed sum to a few relevant charities, so it's at least some way to being justified, but at the same time its essentially a cheaper marketing campaign so its definitely self-serving. Not ideal, but its definitely better than some companies which just throw up a rainbow logo once a year and nothing else.

My main issue is how pride itself (and LGBT venues in general) is being sanitised by corporations to generate as much revenue as possible. Several big events have dropped the 'LGBT' from their name (it sounds like a petty complaint, but seeing those letters really does make a difference) and they're charging stupid sums for entry to 'festivals' with major headline acts like its some sort of rainbow-themed Glastonbury. There's a lot more I could probably go into but this forum isn't really the right place for it.

49 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Thanks. I'd wanted to change it from the David Squires' Vichai strip shortly after the anniversary of the crash, but hadn't had a decent idea (or photoshop) to be able to put something together until now. Happy with how it's turned out though :)

Edited by Xen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Yeah, one raises money for LGBT charities and one is tokenistic signalling from an industry where employees still feel unable to come out.

As far as I can tell from their website, M&S aren't actually raising any money for LGBT charities with the sandwich. They're donating a fixed sum of £10k + €1k which is probably less than a standard marketing campaign, taking all the profit for themselves and letting the media coverage act as their advertising.

Of course there is a benefit to the charities (which is the same as with the rainbow laces campaign, which generates fund upwards of £10k for Stonewall), but I'd argue they're not doing it for the charities...

I wouldn't class the Rainbow Laces campaign as tokenistic signalling either. It affects a much, much wider range of people than just the players - speaking from experience - and forms part of a wider campaign to normalise something which was pretty negatively thought of at football grounds in the not-too-distant past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Xen said:

As far as I can tell from their website, M&S aren't actually raising any money for LGBT charities with the sandwich. They're donating a fixed sum of £10k + €1k which is probably less than a standard marketing campaign, taking all the profit for themselves and letting the media coverage act as their advertising.

Of course there is a benefit to the charities (which is the same as with the rainbow laces campaign, which generates fund upwards of £10k for Stonewall), but I'd argue they're not doing it for the charities...

I wouldn't class the Rainbow Laces campaign as tokenistic signalling either. It affects a much, much wider range of people than just the players - speaking from experience - and forms part of a wider campaign to normalise something which was pretty negatively thought of at football grounds in the not-too-distant past.

They are both positive things overall.

Perhaps, although who is to say the 11k isn't raised from the sales of the sandwich? Most of the time these things take the form of donating x amount per unit sold - it's rare that all the proceeds go to the charitable venture. I also wouldn't think they are the first company to get involved in a charitable campaign without the ulterior motive of good publicity.

Homophobia is still an issue in football, I wouldn't say it was in the past. I actually looked into that briefly and couldn't find any mention of financial support from the PL arising from the Rainbow Laces thing. Of course it's not all about money and there is benefit in kind.

8 hours ago, ozleicester said:

It makes me smile, that someone complaining about too much 'gay stuff' in the media has created pages of LGBTQI+ discussion.

Image result for flamboyant gay

This is what social media should be, we don’t all have to agree but one person posts an opinion and those that disagree share points of view and their own experiences, no one has to name call, no one has to hate, just listen or read and learn about others points of view. 
Who would have thought outside of a match day thread, FT can be a shining light of thought provoking, opinion sharing educational brilliance.

On 17/02/2020 at 23:48, ozleicester said:

#Metoo hasn't created that... it is a an uprising against the abuse that has been perpetrated. 

Comments like that are akin to saying football has created mob violence

I think there is a bit of that in the #metoo thing, but there is a culture of ritual abuse in some circles (Hollywood / Super rich / politics) where the abuse needs to be pointed out.

People using Caroline Flack's death as a marketing opportunity.

'In light of Caroline Flack's death, we're removing gossip mags from our salon! Also in the same breath, let's slate our neighbour Sandra behind her back while I style your hair!'

Edited by Nalis
Typos...
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Nalis said:

'In light of Caroline Flack's death, we're removing gossip mags from our saloon! Also in the same breath, let's slate our neighbour Sandra behind her back while I style your hair!'

Can you get your hair done in a pub these days ? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nalis said:

'In light of Caroline Flack's death, we're removing gossip mags from our saloon! Also in the same breath, let's slate our neighbour Sandra behind her back while I style your hair!'

3 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Can you get your hair done in a pub these days ? 

I thought what's their car got to do with it.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2020 at 21:30, Nalis said:

Typos you pedantic bellends lol

Unusual source but we'll let you off....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleftheros_Typos

Eleftheros Typos (Greek: Ελεύθερος Τύπος, in English, "Free Press") is a daily newspaper published in Athens.

I bet they make a lot of typographical errors.

3 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Older people are tonnes ruder than younger people in day-to-day life.

My brother was a teenage punk rocker - peroxide mohican, chains, bondage trousers, the lot.

One day, my Mum sent him to the butcher's to buy some meat. He came back most put out as a little old lady had barged him out of the queue, almost knocking him over....

It's not clear to me at what age a 'younger person' becomes an 'older person'. (In my experience, people's manners or lack of them aren't so much about their age but rather how much respect (or otherwise) they have for the person(s) whom they are addressing. An exception to that general rule may occur when one is artificially polite to someone who is ill-mannered themselves in order to try to improve that other person's manners, or simply to try to gain the moral high ground. On this forum, that's my approach.) 

Anybody who has a f@cking house alam is a total selfish tool and should be banished from any neighborhood…. My first opportunity for lie in for 2 weeks ruined at 0645

The same alarm went off on Xmas day 3 years ago at 5am - meaning I was tired all day 

However, not sure how unpopular this view is…?

There are so many options for other ways to monitor your home that don’t involve loud anti social sirens…