Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

11 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I don't get gender reveal events, don't understand the hype or popularity of them 

It's one of those things for me that I have to clench my fists, then realise that they're just "not for me" and relax. Though I still don't get them.

Like... what are the chances? And you're going to be happy either way, aren't you? It's not like you smack the piñata, a load of pink sherbet comes out and you're then on the floor crying because you wanted a boy. (though let's be honest, we'd all watch that video.)

But still, have to keep coming back to the rational "it's not for me" thing. It's all for show isn't it. Just like how parents love those signs to put with their kids now "I did my first poo" and "I slept the whole night." It's part of the social media content generator your child is for you.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I don't get gender reveal events, don't understand the hype or popularity of them 

It's really egocentric.

A real modern thing is for parents to view the child as an extension of self (I know, biologically speaking, they are but I mean in the sense of the ego). Any event related to the child becomes a celebration of the parent. 'HEY LOOK AT US GUYS WE'RE HAVING A CHILD WHO HAS A GENDER'.

It's gone from a private celebration of happiness to an overt celebration of achievement.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

When I was younger this would have been a wordy way of describing a flasher 

I now have a vision of a bloke with bare, hairy legs, wearing a seedy mackintosh, appearing on the High Street and shouting "Gender Reveal! Mike Oxlong!", as you open your coat.... 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, foxile5 said:

It's really egocentric.

A real modern thing is for parents to view the child as an extension of self (I know, biologically speaking, they are but I mean in the sense of the ego). Any event related to the child becomes a celebration of the parent. 'HEY LOOK AT US GUYS WE'RE HAVING A CHILD WHO HAS A GENDER'.

It's gone from a private celebration of happiness to an overt celebration of achievement.

This, and the signs in the rear window of cars, "little princess/prince on board". So what?

14 hours ago, Parafox said:

This, and the signs in the rear window of cars, "little princess/prince on board". So what?

I think there's a good reason for these tbf, when I first had my little boy you instinctively drive a little safer and a little slower. I noticed cars would get right up my arse and get agitated, banged one of these baby on board signs in and you would be surprised but other drivers just stopped doing it.

Agree with the gender reveal point though - ridiculous!

Edited by lcfc278
  • Like 1

The holier than though attitude of some posters who need to go out of their way to call people out when people are slagging off Puel in the transfer thread. 

I get that people might find it boring that we still seem to be talking about him and slagging him off considering he’s just trying to keep one of his best players - but it’s even more boring seeing the constant shouts of “oh he owns this place he lives in so many heads rent free”. It’s almost like it’s fashionable to jump to his defence. 

He’s directly involved in the negotiations for a player we want to sign. Of course he’s going to be spoken about and of course some people are going to get pissed off considering he was a polarising character anyway. I’d understand if he wasn’t relevant to the subject at all, but he’s ASSE’s manager and he‘a been quoted in numerous articles. It’s hardly an obsession with him outside of that is it? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The Puel chat in general passes me by man, the "quality / intensity" jokes weren't funny the first time around let alone after two years of constant repetition 

Equally ironic that people post that and probably don't know a word in another language.

Puel's English is better than people's French on here.

I never understand why people take the piss out of foreigners who speak English. At least they try and learn it.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Equally ironic that people post that and probably don't know a word in another language.

Puel's English is better than people's French on here.

I never understand why people take the piss out of foreigners who speak English. At least they try and learn it.

Puel's English is better than some people's English on here, let alone their French.

• Haha 3

On 24/09/2020 at 10:53, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The Puel chat in general passes me by man, the "quality / intensity" jokes weren't funny the first time around let alone after two years of constant repetition 

I've never know a place that absolutely bores an attempted joke through repetition more than Foxestalk.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2020 at 21:10, UniFox21 said:

On 23/09/2020 at 08:59, Footballwipe said:

It's one of those things for me that I have to clench my fists, then realise that they're just "not for me" and relax. Though I still don't get them.

It's all for show isn't it. 

Most things on social media is for show, we're all guilty to some extent. Unfortunately many take it to the extreme.

On 23/09/2020 at 19:40, Parafox said:

Maybe it makes the kid feel more special.

Maybe as @lcfc278 said it makes drivers ease back.

On 24/09/2020 at 10:38, Mike Oxlong said:

The Powered by Fairy Dust cars are often powered by a fat foot

Agree with how crap that looks - along with "eyeashes" on car lights!!

• Like 1

With possible exception of children who have sadly died, no more burying the dead - cremations only.

Cemetaries getting full and individual  graves only tend to get neglected* after family/relatives die in any case. The cemetary in general costs the local authority a few bob to maintain and the land could be put to better use.

Mourn your loved ones in a garden of remembrance and/or where you scatter the ashes.

* With the notable exception of many war cemeteries.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

With possible exception of children who have sadly died, no more burying the dead - cremations only.

Cemetaries getting full and individual  graves only tend to get neglected* after family/relatives die in any case. The cemetary in general costs the local authority a few bob to maintain and the land could be put to better use.

Mourn your loved ones in a garden of remembrance and/or where you scatter the ashes.

Not to mention the deleterious effect on any potential zombie outbreak 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Reminded me of something random - in the graveyard my uncle and my grandparents are buried, I was having a look at some other gravestones and thought the whole 'erected by' (joke away people) was a bit egotistical.

Then I saw one where the 'Erected by' beloved son [x] in absolutely massive letters at the top with the guy that died stated in smallish writing below, followed by what looked like the deceased's wife and other children. The son obviously wanted the glory of having the world know he paid for it and that to him was more important than his father dying. The  date of death was in the 1990s but I remember thinking if the son was still proud of his actions 20+ years on.