Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Agree with the comments, it's a great idea for a show and is a good watch, but Ayoade's miserable bastard schtick does get very tedious. I also get a bit annoyed sometimes when the budget is miles out of reach for any ordinary person but that's probably just me being bitter lol - ok it's nice seeing amazing hotels etc but it would also be good seeing great value places/hidden gems etc that are at least fairly affordable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

There is definitely room for a travel show that has interesting people travelling quite normally. Get Richard Osman on a Ryanair flight to Bratislava with Bob Mortimer, carnage 

Side note but Bratislava is unreal. You wouldn’t want to be there for a week but for a long weekend it’s elite. €1-2 for a quality pint anywhere not dead centre and there’s a beer hall every other building. 9 times out of 10 I’m the one dragging the lads home but a Saturday night in Bratislava and I emerged the next morning naked in a bathtub. Excellent city. 

• Like 3

Just now, Finnaldo said:

Side note but Bratislava is unreal. You wouldn’t want to be there for a week but for a long weekend it’s elite. €1-2 for a quality pint anywhere not dead centre and there’s a beer hall every other building. 9 times out of 10 I’m the one dragging the lads home but a Saturday night in Bratislava and I emerged the next morning naked in a bathtub. Excellent city. 

I’ve not been to anywhere in Eastern Europe yet but I know already that I’ll love it

9 hours ago, Stadt said:

There is definitely room for a travel show that has interesting people travelling quite normally. Get Richard Osman on a Ryanair flight to Bratislava with Bob Mortimer, carnage 

Mortimer is currently on a series with Paul Whitehouse, both two of my favourite comedians. Third series this year. It's set around fishing which is fairly boring to me but it's the show itself is funny.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Mortimer is currently on a series with Paul Whitehouse, both two of my favourite comedians. Third series this year. It's set around fishing which is fairly boring to me but it's the show itself is funny.

I watch it for exactly the same reason as you, I’ve no interest in fishing but Paul and Bob make it so watchable, they are both excellent and always have been.

Also Bob Mortimer when he appears on Would I lie to You is hilarious, such a great story teller. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He was - did Amsterdam. 

I used to watch Travel Man religiously. Then I started watching Bourdian on Netflix, never been back. 

Bourdain does travel right. 

No schticky jokes that you can see from the top of the show and visits genuinely accessible  attractions. 

Not a huge fan of Ayoade to be honest. A lot of it is sneering and condescending under the guise of 'lol nerd' type humour. 

Just now, foxile5 said:

Bourdain does travel right. 

No schticky jokes that you can see from the top of the show and visits genuinely accessible  attractions. 

Not a huge fan of Ayoade to be honest. A lot of it is sneering and condescending under the guise of 'lol nerd' type humour. 

I should clarify. Accessible if you're in that country. They're not ring fenced or financially ridiculous. But getting to the countries he is in might be an issue. 

18 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I watch it for exactly the same reason as you, I’ve no interest in fishing but Paul and Bob make it so watchable, they are both excellent and always have been.

Also Bob Mortimer when he appears on Would I lie to You is hilarious, such a great story teller. 

haha yeah on Would I Like To You he is class. That story about cleaning his own teeth really cracked me up lol

On 10/09/2020 at 12:00, Finnaldo said:

When I went with a group of mates we stumbled upon a bar which was basically a dungeon and it was the best night of my life. 

they had a band on and he was doing covers we were shouting for wonderwall all night and they finished on champagne supernova (probably the only oasis they knew!) and it was unreal. Absolute quality. Some of the hidden gems in that town are great. Would go back today if given the oppurtunity

• Haha 1

Does anyone watch the travel vloggers? Most are disrespectful entitled arseholes. 'Bald and Bankrupt' is pretty good. Most of bald's video are in the former soviet states, he also speaks fluent Russian even though he's english. Drew Blinksy seems ok too even though his seem a bit bland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Does anyone watch the travel vloggers? Most are disrespectful entitled arseholes. 'Bald and Bankrupt' is pretty good. Most of bald's video are in the former soviet states, he also speaks fluent Russian even though he's english. Drew Blinksy seems ok too even though his seem a bit bland.

I ended up binging every Simon Wilson travel vlog in the space of 3 days earlier this year purely in amazement at how he blags free breakfast & spa trips all the time 

On 10/09/2020 at 12:00, Finnaldo said:

Not sure about night clubs or night life so much, I'm too old for that. But most Eastern European capitals are the same.

Sofia, Bucharest, Badapest, Zagreb even some of the more now Western-leaning ex-Soviet capitals like Tblisi - All have beer which is dirt cheap, cheap 4* very good hotels, incredible food and great people who make for a great atmosphere.

No idea why people go to Amsterdam, Rome or Paris for a long weekend city break, when most Eastern European capitals are far cheaper for better hotels, have much cheaper and better wine and beer (a beer is usually £1 or less a bottle in these countries) and much cheaper and much, much better food and have more friendly/less self-obsesses/more family-orientated people which makes for a much better atmosphere in the pubs and restaurants and the city in general.

Only downside is that everyone still smokes indoors and you remember how much that used to stink places out here too. Although they're getting better at separating out smoking and non-smoking areas.

I guess Prague or Ljubjana are kind of a nice balance between the two but have still become more expensive in recent years.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Not sure about night clubs or night life so much, I'm too old for that. But most Eastern European capitals are the same.

Sofia, Bucharest, Badapest, Zagreb even some of the more now Western-leaning ex-Soviet capitals like Tblisi - All have beer which is dirt cheap, cheap 4* very good hotels, incredible food and great people who make for a great atmosphere.

No idea why people go to Amsterdam, Rome or Paris for a long weekend city break, when most Eastern European capitals are far cheaper for better hotels, have much cheaper and better wine and beer (a beer is usually £1 or less a bottle in these countries) and much cheaper and much, much better food and have more friendly/less self-obsesses/more family-orientated people which makes for a much better atmosphere in the pubs and restaurants and the city in general.

Only downside is that everyone still smokes indoors and you remember how much that used to stink places out here too. Although they're getting better at separating out smoking and non-smoking areas.

I guess Prague or Ljubjana are kind of a nice balance between the two but have still become more expensive in recent years.

I was lucky in that I went at the end of July when we had 30+ weather across Europe, I’m pretty sure it was 37 on the Friday we got there lol so we rarely sat inside. 

I was supposed to be doing a couple weeks across Budapest, Belgrade, Sarajevo and Split this summer but obviously that got put on hold until next summer, I can only assume people are put off by reputation, but you have just as many shitehole areas in Western European capitals like Paris, and Leicester fans can attest to the Spanish police’s attitude. As long as you can enjoy yourself without being a nob and use your head you’re golden. 

45 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I was lucky in that I went at the end of July when we had 30+ weather across Europe, I’m pretty sure it was 37 on the Friday we got there lol so we rarely sat inside. 

I was supposed to be doing a couple weeks across Budapest, Belgrade, Sarajevo and Split this summer but obviously that got put on hold until next summer, I can only assume people are put off by reputation, but you have just as many shitehole areas in Western European capitals like Paris, and Leicester fans can attest to the Spanish police’s attitude. As long as you can enjoy yourself without being a nob and use your head you’re golden. 

I think history still lingers a bit. Especially for the ex-Yugslax countries - it's less than 20 years ago they were all still engaged in a full on race war against each other.

Don't get me wrong, it's still nice to go to Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome or Copenhagen once and I used to go to Stockholm quite regularly with an old job which I always enjoyed.

But we've been going as a family to Eastern Europe for about 15 years now and we all much prefer it. Just for going on a long weekend away, I don't really see any advantage to going to Western Europe. 

Most recently we went to Sofia about a year ago with my wife, 3 kids and my oldest son's wife and we loved it. Got there quite late on the Thursday night, managed to walk into a great restaurant at just before midnight and have a 3 course meal going on until about 1.30am with wine and beer that was really good quality for less than it would have cost to buy the equivalent at Weatherspoons here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nalis said:

Did you see B/Bs Covid 19 vlog?Been a big fan of Bald and Bankrupt for about a year now.Though I can’t work out wether he’s a really sound bloke or a bit dodge.Either way he does some interesting stuff.Love how he’ll go to Moldova’s equivalent of Scunthorpe instead of doing the usual capital city stuff,and how the locals with barely anything invite him in to their homes.Dosern’t seem set up? I’m fascinated with Eastern Europe so love his blogs in that region.Can’t fault his confidence and people skills.He’s doing Albania now after his recent bout of CV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Did you see B/Bs Covid 19 vlog?Been a big fan of Bald and Bankrupt for about a year now.Though I can’t work out wether he’s a really sound bloke or a bit dodge.Either way he does some interesting stuff.Love how he’ll go to Moldova’s equivalent of Scunthorpe instead of doing the usual capital city stuff,and how the locals with barely anything invite him in to their homes.Dosern’t seem set up? I’m fascinated with Eastern Europe so love his blogs in that region.Can’t fault his confidence and people skills.He’s doing Albania now after his recent bout of CV.

Dont think I've seen any he's filmed since March but must check them out.

Absolutely agreed on your point in bold, its part of what makes them so interesting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Dont think I've seen any he's filmed since March but must check them out.

Absolutely agreed on your point in bold, its part of what makes them so interesting.

You might know,but he caught the virus whilst in Belgrade.Stayed in his hotel room for days with the symptoms but got progressively worse.He ended up in a Serbian hospital in a state.He put a blog up a couple of days after he was discharged explaining it had knocked him sideways,that he had probably been a bit of a dick and the virus had made his knob shrink.He took it down not long after because he wanted to move on.He’s back now,though he says his knob still hasn’t grown back yet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I don't understand those who plaster their young kids achievements etc all over Facebook.  A few from work do it and i find it a tad odd

I know what you mean, but for some it's the only way members of their family have of connecting with what they are up to.