Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I still think we're going to finish top 8. Am I mad?

On 17/09/2017 at 09:26, FIF said:

I've read the doom and gloom throughout the boards this week and throughout the start to the season but from what I've seen I still think we're going to finish top 8.

What have I seen?

I've watched a fair few games and I've seen 3 very good teams and 3 good teams with flaws, then I've seen a lot of average teams and some very poor teams. Overall I've been impressed with Leicester - yes we only have 4 points from 5 games (relegation numbers) but we've actually looked good (a lot of the time) Arsenal, we should have beaten and our play was at least as good as theirs, Manure were better than us, but we put up a good show, Chelsea were better than us but not by as much as I'd expected. Brighton were well below us and Huddersfield out worked us in the first half (our most disappointing 45 of the season so far) but they were lucky to hold on in the second half (at least until we took Vardy off).

Our team. Kasper is solid to good, top 8 team keeper. Fuchs has played much better than I predicted and simpson is his consistent self ( I'd like an upgrade and think we need it  - hello Sagne - but he's good enough as a weak link in the team). Maguire has been exceptional (even if he does occassionally get beaten), he's young and progressing. Wes has done better than I expected but clearly Huth is the man to play alongside Maguire to handle the bullies like Depoitre. Ndidi is looking good but he's young will make the odd mistake whilst he continues to learn. James started the season well but we were exposed yesterday when King had to replace him, we really missed the one touch king danny drinkwater but hopefully Iborra and Silva can strengthen our midfield or we can move to a central 3. Albrighton started great on the wing but he has disappeared in the last 2 games  - not sure why - Mahrez has looked great and average but the fact we have him until at least January reinforces my belief that we can do well. Vardy has been spectacular, great effort and goals - the easy tap in yesterday and we'd be laughing. Okazaki was stupendous in the first 2 games but he really shouldn't be our level for starter. Iheanacho looks the real thing and if he can stay fit he can build a great partnership with Vards.

To make 8th we probably need fifty something points. We can do that. Ignore the top 6. Home wins against everyone else (39pts) draws away against everyone else (13pts). What we don't make from that we pick up at home against the top 6. 8th place. Job Done.

Am I crazy?

Don't know why I missed this thread but I couldn't agree more with your post.

On 17/09/2017 at 02:26, FIF said:

I've read the doom and gloom throughout the boards this week and throughout the start to the season but from what I've seen I still think we're going to finish top 8.

What have I seen?

I've watched a fair few games and I've seen 3 very good teams and 3 good teams with flaws, then I've seen a lot of average teams and some very poor teams. Overall I've been impressed with Leicester - yes we only have 4 points from 5 games (relegation numbers) but we've actually looked good (a lot of the time) Arsenal, we should have beaten and our play was at least as good as theirs, Manure were better than us, but we put up a good show, Chelsea were better than us but not by as much as I'd expected. Brighton were well below us and Huddersfield out worked us in the first half (our most disappointing 45 of the season so far) but they were lucky to hold on in the second half (at least until we took Vardy off).

Our team. Kasper is solid to good, top 8 team keeper. Fuchs has played much better than I predicted and simpson is his consistent self ( I'd like an upgrade and think we need it  - hello Sagne - but he's good enough as a weak link in the team). Maguire has been exceptional (even if he does occassionally get beaten), he's young and progressing. Wes has done better than I expected but clearly Huth is the man to play alongside Maguire to handle the bullies like Depoitre. Ndidi is looking good but he's young will make the odd mistake whilst he continues to learn. James started the season well but we were exposed yesterday when King had to replace him, we really missed the one touch king danny drinkwater but hopefully Iborra and Silva can strengthen our midfield or we can move to a central 3. Albrighton started great on the wing but he has disappeared in the last 2 games  - not sure why - Mahrez has looked great and average but the fact we have him until at least January reinforces my belief that we can do well. Vardy has been spectacular, great effort and goals - the easy tap in yesterday and we'd be laughing. Okazaki was stupendous in the first 2 games but he really shouldn't be our level for starter. Iheanacho looks the real thing and if he can stay fit he can build a great partnership with Vards.

To make 8th we probably need fifty something points. We can do that. Ignore the top 6. Home wins against everyone else (39pts) draws away against everyone else (13pts). What we don't make from that we pick up at home against the top 6. 8th place. Job Done.

Am I crazy?

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.882d17f66dfc00ef9ea9b1a0341aee8c.jpg

Och - you're crazy lad - we're DOOOOMED !!!!!

On 17/09/2017 at 09:26, FIF said:

What have I seen?

Am I crazy?

No, you are'nt crazy but you are dreaming.

But remember what Ranieri said - "The fans have to dream...".

I'm with you...

I don't see where this level of optimism comes from? Unless FIF is trying to win some browny points? I dunno.

We have 4 points from 6 games, which is abysmal of course.

And we go to Bournemouth next and, to be honest, I don't think we are clear favourites to win that game. I think it could go either way.

We must stop conceding so many goals. We are back to leaking like a sieve again.

I believe our midfield and back four to be bang average at this level, at the moment.

• Like 2

We need something from Bournemouth unless we go in to break with confidence at a low

If they're away for a warm weather break as reported it may also mean someones identified problems with Team Spirit.

As has been stated, we are bang average at the moment and we need something to change.

When you see how Newcastle, Huddersfield and Watford have started it is concerning that we only have 4 points

Top 10 let alone Top 8 seems a tall order......... But 17th is achievable

Dont think you mad, we were drawn with a very tough start, its so tough I dont think it was random, momentum is king in football, so a tough start really screws you up.

Its quite possible we can do well against teams around us which would be enough to get top 8, however the way we played against Huddersfield wasnt good, and I hope we dont approach teams around us like that again, it reminded me of the first season up.

Playing for 1-0s is fine with a good defense, when you cannot defend the worst tactic is to sit back.  Also without both kante and drinkwater we clearly struggling to even pull off good counters now as well.  So we need to get at teams instead of sitting back, which we have shown we can do even this season but sadly time and time again we wait until we go behind.

It also raises the question if shakespeare just wants to sit back why get rid of claudio who was playing the same way but had much more experience.

Edited by Chrysalis

We should comfortably finish top 8 but  not sure we will. There are some terrible teams in the prem this season but for some reason they are picking points up. Dyche really is a miracle worker as that Burnley team is appalling yet they've got results against Chelsea and liverpool. Hudds team on paper is very weak as well but again they are getting results. Realistically with our team we should easily be beating the bottom 10 at home. Unfortunately doesnt work like that though and unless shakey gets the defence sorted we could easily end up in a relegation battle. 

We seem to have an uncanny knack of being just enough worse than whoever we are playing to lose(or draw when we should have)!! What I mean is we play well against Arsenal, Liverpool etc. but not quite as well as they do and lose. Up against a poor side we manage to be a bit poorer than they are and lose or perhaps get a draw. It's so frustrating.

15 hours ago, DelBoy73 said:

Hitting top 8 requires usually to reach a tally of at least 60pts.

That is a hell of a stretch from where we are if you ask me....

15 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

FIF you're fvcking bonkers.  We'll be lucky to make the top 10 at this rate (I know I know "it was Liverpool" but we really should be taking points from matches like that to be a top 10 side, especially at home)

15 hours ago, Tuna said:

I'd be happy finishing 17th at the moment.

15 hours ago, Sublime_Coatsworth said:

We're honestly not good enough to finish in the top 8. Four points from the opening six games fully demonstrates that.

14 hours ago, bigboy said:

If things don’t change very soon, then god helps us we could be looking at the bottom 4 and that’s too dangerous.

13 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I don't see where this level of optimism comes from? Unless FIF is trying to win some browny points? I dunno.

We have 4 points from 6 games, which is abysmal of course.

And we go to Bournemouth next and, to be honest, I don't think we are clear favourites to win that game. I think it could go either way.

We must stop conceding so many goals. We are back to leaking like a sieve again.

I believe our midfield and back four to be bang average at this level, at the moment.

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Top 8 finish!! On the performances so far we'll be lucky to finish 8 from the bottom!! 4 points from a possible 24 is far from satisfactory.

Maybe you're all correct and Leicester are in for a relegation fight and I'm a raving looney but from what I've seen top 8 is possible. We should've but admittedly didn't get anything from teams that look 5th and 6th in the league at season's end. We got nothing from 3 teams that should be top 4.

Delboy, I think 60pts and we're in with an outside chance of Europe. I expect 8th to be in the low 50's.

Sure we have 4 points from 6 games but if you look at my OP then that's what I put for an 8th spot finish. TBH I thought we'd beat Liverpool at home and get something from the Arsenal match but my scenario counted on nothing from those games.

We got 4 points from 2 teams who should finish below us - 3 at home, 1 away. And that is my premise.

In reality the season starts now. I stated 3 points at home against everyone apart from the top 6 and 1 point away against those same teams.

Next up is Bournemouth away - for my scenario that's 1pt - I hope to beat them though - that may well put us in the bottom 3 for the break which is psychologically not a good place to be but the schedule gets easier from hereon in.The goal is 12pts or more by the end of October and a place in the last 8 of the League Cup.  You can stick with your bottom 4 prognosis. I'm sticking with top 8.

Come on you Foxes.

Edited by Guest

55 minutes ago, FIF said:

Maybe you're all correct and Leicester are in for a relegation fight and I'm a raving looney but from what I've seen top 8 is possible. We should've but admittedly didn't get anything from teams that look 5th and 6th in the league at season's end. We got nothing from 3 teams that should be top 4.

Delboy, I think 60pts and we're in with an outside chance of Europe. I expect 8th to be in the low 50's.

Sure we have 4 points from 6 games but if you look at my OP then that's what I put for an 8th spot finish. TBH I thought we'd beat Liverpool at home and get something from the Arsenal match but my scenario counted on nothing from those games.

We got 4 points from 2 teams who should finish below us - 3 at home, 1 away. And that is my premise.

In reality the season starts now. I stated 3 points at home against everyone apart from the top 6 and 1 point away against those same teams.

Next up is Bournemouth away - for my scenario that's 1pt - I hope to beat them though - that may well put us in the bottom 3 for the break which is psychologically not a good place to be but the schedule gets easier from hereon in.The goal is 12pts or more by the end of October and a place in the last 8 of the League Cup.  You can stick with your bottom 4 prognosis. I'm sticking with top 8.

Come on you Foxes.

I give you that maybe top 8 would roam around the mid 50's, that's still 50pts to gather from the next 32 fixtures, that is a 1.5 pts per game ratio.

The next run of games will tell us clearly if we are ever going to catch such trend.

If we can't come out with a positive record after facing the likes of Bournemouth, Leeds, Stoke,WBA and Swansea,i am adamant we will find ourselves in the relegation bracket by boxing day.

• Like 2