Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

35 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I think people are missing a key point.

We're appointing a manager in October, even if he made wholesale changes in January he probably wouldn't be able to switch from 4-4-2

So we've gone for someone with a record of finishing 8th with a Saints side playing that way.

It's a lot more intelligent than going full Crystal Palace and sticking De Boer in and expecting him to play Tiki Taki overnight!

Puel if he does well this season will be able to ease out some of our ageing players and introduce his own players/tactics next season.

If we were to appoint the Argentinian guy or someone with Flair they'd turn up here and only have Mahrez to try and build an expansive team around.... it's just not going to happen with what we have in the squad.

They signed Boufal, Redmond and Gabiadini when he was there so he certainly wasn't after 'boring' players!

They also lost Mane, Pelle, Wanyama and Fonte!!!

People are overreacting about him. With him Gray or Chillwell would have more than a chance to prove their worth. His best players at Soton were either sold or injured and he still managed to finish 8th. I saw the FA Cup final and Soton weren't dull. OGC Nice were entertaining to see from what I read in the press.

His style is based on a solid defense, slow building with emphasis on triangle play. Not exactly the Leicester fast counter attacking style we know, but with players like Iborra, Silva, Slim and Ndidi it might better than persisting with a flat 4-4-2 that doesn't give any real satisfaction.

But by biggest fear is his tendancy to fall out with players. Especially the stars. He's kinda authoritarian and not known to take shit from anyone.

My reservation about Puel is not football wise but personality wise, does he have the strength of character to rip into those boys in the dressing room, and upset people if needed?

Because they are children and will band in cliques behind the managers back to make his life hard, if upset.

I'd prefer him to many of those that are being bandied around at the moment, and I've heard of him, I can pronounce his name and maybe he'll be able to communicate with the French speaking contingent better than Shakey. One thing he does have in his favour is that he would give the budding u23 payers a decent shot at getting in the side, allowing us to sell them on for many many pounds :mellow:

I'm so looking forward to the Flair football he'll be bringing to King Power.....

15 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

My reservation about Puel is not football wise but personality wise, does he have the strength of character to rip into those boys in the dressing room, and upset people if needed?

Because they are children and will band in cliques behind the managers back to make his life hard, if upset.

Yes. He might even do it too well.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

They won the Champions League in spite of him not because of him. In the SF and Final it was like the Alamo and Chelsea were annihilated in every stat apart from the only one that counted which was goals. He basically picked the side and the players got on with it if the reports were to be believed. They certainly didn't win it because he was tactically astute and to make that assumption to prove a point is just plain wrong. 

You only have to see how his next two jobs ended to see it wasn't because of him. He got sacked for the poor start at Villa in the Championship last season, the man is a pretender which is why he's 47 years old and will probably never manage again.

Ok, I accept he wasn’t the best example to use but the point still stands, no experience doesn’t necessarily mean instant failure.

Honestly some of the comments on here. This guy would be a good appointment. Ok not wow like Mancini or Pellegrini but better than Pardew etc.

Great job at Nice.

Good job at Southampton.

People moaning about his style of play need to have a think about the football we've witnessed at Leicester over the years. At least Puels teams were tactically switched on.

4 hours ago, truebluethroughandthrough said:

All the management gurus on here do make me laugh, no to Giggs because no experience lol can someone tell me how much experience Matteo had when winning Chelsea their first ever champions league? What about the vast premiership experience O’neill had when we signed him?

No to puel because he’s dull but yes to fvcking Dyche!!!

Absolutely baffling.

Just admit you know as much about what it takes to hire a successful manager as you do about being a professional footballer (very little, like me).

And please, for the love of God, stop telling all that will listen, who will and won’t be any good because unless you’re mystic meg, you know bob all.

I used to know someone called Bob All but not anymore. 

So your post isn't 100 percent spot on. Good try tho.

Been speaking to a good friend and lifelong Saints fan.  He is firmly against Puel as a good prospect.  Sounds like he was very unpopular there, particularly as he totally slowed down their play and took away their attacking edge (which they are still struggling to regain).  He's well down my list. 

3 minutes ago, Leamington Fox said:

Been speaking to a good friend and lifelong Saints fan.  He is firmly against Puel as a good prospect.  Sounds like he was very unpopular there, particularly as he totally slowed down their play and took away their attacking edge (which they are still struggling to regain).  He's well down my list. 

Email this to rudkin asap

13 minutes ago, Leamington Fox said:

My saints supporting friend had mixed reviews about him.

He is confident that he could turn is into a solid mid table team but the style of football will be chronically boring. He also said that he thinks we have better striking options available than saints had while Claude was there....

5 minutes ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Southampton lost their second best defender halfway through the season. They also lost Wanyama at the start as well as Pelle and Mane.

That's a spine of a team. A CB, Best DM, Best AM and number 1 striker.

thats true but will he come here and change the style of play the players are used too and slow it down so to speak.....

....it could well happen

7 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Got a very good record with Small Fee transfers!

Hardly spent a penny at Nice... brought in the now sought after Jean Michael Seri for a million euros!!

Hardly spent a penny at Nice?   Great bladder then??

10 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

My saints supporting friend had mixed reviews about him.

He is confident that he could turn is into a solid mid table team but the style of football will be chronically boring. He also said that he thinks we have better striking options available than saints had while Claude was there....

Having seen West Brom the other week, I am not sure I could cope with regular, chronically boring mid-table football.

May as well just get Nige back instead if we're aiming for mediocrity in the league. 

At least he interspersed dull moments with banzai crazy antics.

Can't see poo hell getting me on the edge of my seat with either on pitch action or maiming dogs etc off it...

Archived