Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

49 minutes ago, LCFCABC said:

Strange appointment if it happens

however, if you look at Southampton’s managers over the last few years most have done fairly well there and are still in decent jobs 

i think we we should go all out to get Brendon Rodgers 

Brendon Rodgers did ok with a half decent Swansea team.  After that he did great with Luis Suarez and then has won some stuff in a league without any opposition.  He isn't for us.

Puel wouldn't be my choice, Dyche would be.  But I'd have Puel over the likes of Coleman or Giggs any day of the week.

Claude Puelis

Just been reading a Saints forum and they have mixed views on him to say the least. One point that really stood out is that, despite finishing 8th, Puel's side finished with 17 points fewer, more goals conceded and fewer goals scored than the year before his arrival.

They also point to the drab football. That said, there's a fair few who think he deserved another season.

Why are people for Dyche but against Puel? If it's dull football then Dyche is duller than Puel. If it's achievements them Puel is vastly superior to Dyche (took Lyon to their first ever CL semi final and Southampton to a cup final). 

Puel is by no means my preferred appointment but he's better than many other candidates.

18 minutes ago, Koke said:

Why are people for Dyche but against Puel? If it's dull football then Dyche is duller than Puel. If it's achievements them Puel is vastly superior to Dyche (took Lyon to their first ever CL semi final and Southampton to a cup final). 

Puel is by no means my preferred appointment but he's better than many other candidates.

More premier league experience and seems the sort of character that can gain the respect of the dressing room. He’s not my first choice by any means but Puel is a terrible idea

All the management gurus on here do make me laugh, no to Giggs because no experience lol can someone tell me how much experience Matteo had when winning Chelsea their first ever champions league? What about the vast premiership experience O’neill had when we signed him?

No to puel because he’s dull but yes to fvcking Dyche!!!

Absolutely baffling.

Just admit you know as much about what it takes to hire a successful manager as you do about being a professional footballer (very little, like me).

And please, for the love of God, stop telling all that will listen, who will and won’t be any good because unless you’re mystic meg, you know bob all.

3 minutes ago, truebluethroughandthrough said:

All the management gurus on here do make me laugh, no to Giggs because no experience lol can someone tell me how much experience Matteo had when winning Chelsea their first ever champions league? What about the vast premiership experience O’neill had when we signed him?

No to puel because he’s dull but yes to fvcking to Dyche!!!

Absolutely baffling.

Just admit you know as much about what it takes to hire a successful manager as you do about being a professional footballer (very little, like me).

And please, for the love of God, stop telling all that will listen, who will and won’t be any good unless you’re mystic meg, you know bob all.

Using Di Matteo to prove a point already negates your argument.

I think people are missing a key point.

We're appointing a manager in October, even if he made wholesale changes in January he probably wouldn't be able to switch from 4-4-2

So we've gone for someone with a record of finishing 8th with a Saints side playing that way.

It's a lot more intelligent than going full Crystal Palace and sticking De Boer in and expecting him to play Tiki Taki overnight!

Puel if he does well this season will be able to ease out some of our ageing players and introduce his own players/tactics next season.

If we were to appoint the Argentinian guy or someone with Flair they'd turn up here and only have Mahrez to try and build an expansive team around.... it's just not going to happen with what we have in the squad.

They signed Boufal, Redmond and Gabiadini when he was there so he certainly wasn't after 'boring' players!

They also lost Mane, Pelle, Wanyama and Fonte!!!

38 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Claude Puelis

Just been reading a Saints forum and they have mixed views on him to say the least. One point that really stood out is that, despite finishing 8th, Puel's side finished with 17 points fewer, more goals conceded and fewer goals scored than the year before his arrival.

They also point to the drab football. That said, there's a fair few who think he deserved another season.

He had big expectations to live up to. Pochettino and Koeman did great jobs at Southampton, both playing good football and taking the club to 6th (and then Koeman 5th) in the league. Nobody was going to replicate that.

The fewer goals is what I am concerned about but as I've said all along, they aren't scoring goals this season (I think they've only scored 8 or 9) so I don't think that's a massive issue.

Puel would be as good as, if not better than, Dyche.

13 minutes ago, truebluethroughandthrough said:

No to puel because he’s dull but yes to fvcking Dyche!!!

Absolutely baffling.

And please, for the love of God, stop telling all that will listen, who will and won’t be any good because unless you’re mystic meg, you know bob all.

Spot on!....

Just now, truebluethroughandthrough said:

Yes because that champions league didn’t really happen just because of subsequent management failures...

They won the Champions League in spite of him not because of him. In the SF and Final it was like the Alamo and Chelsea were annihilated in every stat apart from the only one that counted which was goals. He basically picked the side and the players got on with it if the reports were to be believed. They certainly didn't win it because he was tactically astute and to make that assumption to prove a point is just plain wrong. 

You only have to see how his next two jobs ended to see it wasn't because of him. He got sacked for the poor start at Villa in the Championship last season, the man is a pretender which is why he's 47 years old and will probably never manage again.

Can't get angry or excited about this one, boring but steady I suppose.

One big plus would be if Soton got to a League Cup final is he'll take those competitions seriously.

Archived