Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

5 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

claudepuel.jpeg.f38f91e0b99a60e4ec03ff62f77ef098.jpeg

Not sure why people think he's boring. Guy sometimes doesn't wear a tie. Clearly an absolute maverick.

And sometimes the sweater over the shoulders look :thumbup:

Image result for claude puel wife

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I can't get my head around anyone that really wants Dyche.

I can't think of many worse appointments. 

Because he has done a lot with limited resources at Burnley and his style of football at Burnley isn't far away from ours over the last few years. I personally don't find Burnley that dull to watch. In fact they've actually played some good football at times this season. I think the image associated with Sean Dyche is influenced entirely by the fact that he manages Burnley, he's English and that he plays 442 and not by the actual football. I think he'd stamp his authority on the side and would build a team spirit, which we've clearly lost. For me he's easily the best option out oof the names that have been mentioned.

10 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It all sounds a bit pre Claudio in here...... 

Here... have a read of this... 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jun/15/claude-puel-southampton-premier-league-expectations

This part is interesting 

Several players enjoyed the best season of their careers under Puel, such as Oriol Romeu, James-Ward Prowse, Nathan Redmond, Cédric Soares and, at a stretch, Maya Yoshida. The Frenchman was headhunted partially because of his aptitude for rearing young players and he did that pretty well on the south coast, with Jack Stephens, Sam McQueen and Josh Sims making memorable impacts on the first team.

Those achievements came despite a series of unfortunate events that might have horrified even Lemony Snicket. Puel lost his first signing, Jérémy Pied, to a long-term injury on the first day of the season, then in December lost his only reliable goalscorer, Charlie Austin, to injury for several months and then his first-choice centre-backs (his captain, José Fonte, defecting to West Ham in January and his best player, Virgil van Dijk, suffering a season-ending injurysoon afterwards). Throw in shorter-term injuries to players such as Ryan Bertrand and Manolo Gabbiadini and it is clear that Southampton’s results could have been far worse

Looking at his CV he’s got a very decent track record in France, including taking Lyon to a Champions league semi- final. He

took Southampton to their first cup final in donkeys years and a respectable 8th place. He also  has a reputation for identifying and nurturing young talent (including Eden Hazard).  May not be the most inspiring appointment if it happens but sounds better than many of the names mentioned?

3 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Not won a pot since 2000

Got Southampton to a league cup final

End of CV

Granted, not the most impressive résumé, but I'm certain Southampton would have won that game had it not been for that appalling offside decision that ruled out the Gabbiadini goal. I think I'm right in saying that it would have been the first hat-trick in a League Cup Final - and only the second one in an English Cup final at Wembley. OK had the first goal stood it would have introduced a whole different range of variables, but Saints tore into United in the first half and I think they would have put it out of reach. 

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Agree. Could definitely do a lot worse. He's got a decent CV, and for a club our size he could be decent. Southampton finished 8th and got to a cup final under him. He's by no means perfect but considering who we could get Ì will back him. 

We were a few pts behind and only tried for 1/3 of the season! 

Doesn't really fit  the reported "big name" requirements of the owners does it?

Couldn't think of a more vanilla appointment to be honest.

Seemed to do a steady job at Southampton though, 8th place finish (albeit quite a bit point wise behind the previous season's total) and cup final in his first season in English football is still pretty decent.

29 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

And sometimes the sweater over the shoulders look :thumbup:

Image result for claude puel wife

This will send Fox & Crap merchandise sales through the roof. 

1 minute ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Well Arsole was  a few years ago

And Houllier won a few trophies at Liverpool.

perhaps the question should be when are English managers ever successful in this country ?

Archived