Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

Just now, Trav Le Bleu said:
4 minutes ago, Milo said:

37% from 53 games...average of 42% from 763 games.

So basically, he does worse than his own average, when in the PL.

Hmmm - not sure about the maths, but if he wins 42% of 38 PL games then that gives him/(us) 48 points, assuming we lose the rest of the games.

48 points would have us finishing 8th/11th/11th in the past three seasons

If we don't lose the remaining games and have 10 draws and 10 losses from the remaining 22 games we would have 58 points, which would have finished 8th/9th/8th in the past 3 seasons

Bit simplistic (and please check the maths, cos I'm a bit pissed), but looks like we'll finish 9th next season lol

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Puel is the owners' favourite but I'm led to believe they are still talking/due to talk to 2 other potential managers to take over (not sure who). 

I'm uninspired by Puel to be honest. Didn't enjoy his time at Southampton and how he got them playing. I don't think some players will be happy with him either. We're not the kind of side to be lulled in to boring football. 

I got told over the weekend that Coleman was a contender, dunno how things have progressed since then

9 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Its almost like people are reading something on the internet and then putting money on.

The odds really are far from tumbling like people suggest. 8/11 on SkyBet which isn't a million miles away from doubling your money. He is really the only person that we have reportedly spoken to so far so it isn't really a shock to see him being the favourite at this stage.

5/1 today ... something has happened today 

Think alot of the 'boring' reputation about him comes from his demeanour during interviews.

He's done good things in his career but from the outside he doesnt seem inspiring. Think he'd have to win a few off the bat to get most fans on his side, thought Sot'on played a mixed game but scored a couple corners against us last season and they were both dull, forgettable and depressing matches. He has good French league experience, didnt embarrass himself last year. Just meh

10 minutes ago, daverollo said:

Was going to make the same point. When you consider the poor striking options that Soton had last season and this he made the most of what he had.

who here would pick Long or Austin ahead of Vardy, Shinji or Slimani? Must and Ulloa maybe ?

He'd get my full support if appointed.

And Southampton totally dominated us in both games last season. 

Out strikers are better than Saints so I don't think we will go on the goal drought they did. I think he will organise out defence and play out from the back. 

I'm nowhere near as negative about Puel as many are. Rather Puel than Coleman or Allardyce or Pardew or Ryan fecking Giggs.

1 minute ago, Koke said:

Not that I recall they didn't. The first game at home was largely stalemate - they were as impotent as we were and at St.Mary's Claudio unfathomably put out that ridiculous diamond formation for which the players had about 28 minutes notice prior to k/o. Result being, we got destroyed from either flank. 

It all sounds a bit pre Claudio in here...... 

Here... have a read of this... 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jun/15/claude-puel-southampton-premier-league-expectations

I’m on board... I’m also a big fan of sticking up for candidates people seem to poo poo straight away!

Let’s wait and see...

8 minutes ago, Koke said:

Out strikers are better than Saints so I don't think we will go on the goal drought they did. I think he will organise out defence and play out from the back. 

I'm nowhere near as negative about Puel as many are. Rather Puel than Coleman or Allardyce or Pardew or Ryan fecking Giggs.

You've just contradicted yourself there, we've been trying to play out from the back under Shakespeare and that's why we've not been scoring any goals.

The logic is there, it just takes too long to get the ball forward and the opposition can get organised. Even if all your players are good on the ball, which ours aren't, it will only take you so far. It's such a limited way of playing unless you have the best players in the league.

Archived