Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

What do people expect?

I get what you're saying but we went out and played some superb stuff and kept Liverpool on the back foot for about 15 minutes then decided to camp 10 men behind the ball and hoof to Vardy with Liverpool being the attacking machine they are, it  was simply a matter of time before they scored.

Some of our play today was utterly horrid. Constantly booting it as far away from our goal (often directly out for throw ins) and the ball would just be recycled and Liverpool would be back on the attack in seconds.

It was relentless and it was all down to our inability to compose ourselves.

For as good as Iborra has been. He needs to have a word with himself tonight. Showed no effort to calm the game down or get on the ball and slow it down himself. Expect better from him.

We're 4/5 players away from being a really good to watch side but it's going to be bloody hard for Puel.

Edited by AKCJ
  • Like 1

I think generally it's frustration, it's frustration of how this game panned out, we had them on the back foot, we went 1 up, we rolled over, I think most people wouldn't have reacted so badly if we'd turned up against Palace and Watford, Yes i'm still talking about those games, I'm still angry about the Palace game, 2 weeks ago, still angry.

Before I say this, this isn't a 'Haha, I told ya so!' comment, I'm angry i'm right, After that Palace game I said I was angry blah, blah, blah, it's gonna take a long time to sort this out and I can't see where we're gonna get a win, someone replied 'Not even against Watford?!'...No, not even against Watford, why? Because we didn't turn up, again.

Today's post's aren't necessarily because we lost to Liverpool, it's a culmination of shit performances in games you'd like to think we had a chance in, the fact we looked ok, went 1 up, sat back, threw it away, now people are venting but it's mainly down to what we've seen in the previous games leading up to this imo.

I don't see us doing much, if anything against Huddersfield because our mentality and mind set e.t.c...Will the team even turn up, questionable.

Edited by Matt

i didn't watch the game today so can't comment on that specifically, but there are several things that have perplexed me recently and need sorting out. Firstly corners. Not only are we terrible at defending them but equally bad at creating anything from them. Our delivery from both Mahrez & Albrighton is poor and our short corners are diabolical. When we get a throw in, its almost always guaranteed possession for the opposition. That's not even player specific, because whoever takes a throw in, the ball ends up with the opposition. Another worrying aspect is Kasper's kicking. If Puel wants to play a more possession based game how can he allow Kasper to keep kicking the ball long to the opposition.  He really needs a word with him. Finally why hasn't Puel learnt that against the top teams, that are going to have a lot of possession, we need Shinji. Grey might be a technically better footballer, but Shinji gives us workrate and helps to win the ball back further up the pitch. Overall i'm more positive about Puel now then when he was hired.

15 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

The transfer window will be the making of Puel at City, 2 or 3 shrewd signings and half a dozen sold or loaned out. Today was a great performance against a free scoring Liverpool side and I think good times are a coming....:thumbup:

Oh, come on - let’s keep some perspective. Sure, it wasn’t as bad as some are making out, but no way was it a ‘great’ performance. 

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

I get what you're saying but we went out and played some superb stuff and kept Liverpool on the back foot for about 15 minutes then decided to camp 10 men behind the ball and hoof to Vardy with Liverpool being the attacking machine they are, it  was simply a matter of time before they scored.

Some of our play today was utterly horrid. Constantly booting it as far away from our goal (often directly out for throw ins) and the ball would just be recycled and Liverpool would be back on the attack in seconds.

It was relentless and it was all down to our inability to compose ourselves.

For as good as Iborra has been. He needs to have a word with himself tonight. Showed no effort to calm the game down or get on the ball and slow it down himself. Expect better from him.

We're 4/5 players away from being a really good to watch side but it's going to be bloody hard for Puel.

100 % agree !! After such a great start , the pain then set in ! 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I was having a family dinner today whilst the match was on, so didn't get to read much of the match thread or contribute to it. But, as usual, what I was reading was really positive when we scored, to utter doom and gloom when we conceded and especially when they got the winner.

Now I'm reading in the post match thread that some people are wanting Puel out!

WHAT....DID...PEOPLE....REALISTICALLY....EXPECT.....TODAY?

Most of the pre match predictions were of us to get hammered, with score lines of 3-1,4-1 (I had that) and good old Scouse with his 9-0.

We were leading until the second half ffs! We kept out an on-form, free-flowing side, playing all four bloody strikers and went down to a late goal (surprise surprise) to win a very good game of football.

Did any of you really imagine that we would hold out after approx 50 mins when they equalized? With the back four we were playing, at Anfield, in front of a buoyant home crowd?

I think people need to get real. If you genuinely believe we were going to go on to win that match today, you're spectacles are ridiculously  blue tinted.

We need to get through this difficult run of games, beating Huddersfield at home next, get Silva into the equation, and give Puel the time he needs to shift some of the bloody rubbish in this squad, and start to properly rebuild it.

The level of animosity toward a team that was reduced in strength and playing away against a team bang in scoring form, is not proportionate to losing just 2-1

Get a sense of bloody perspective, give the new manager time to build HIS squad of players and then properly judge.

Personally, I don't envy him. The club has signed some stinking players in recent times.

Don’t expect to beat any side col, but I don’t know, it might just be me, but I feel we give the big boys to much respect, like today, got a lead, and tried to defend it for 90 minutes, never going to hold out, we all secretly knew how it would go.

This squad has many flaws, but it still plays better on the front foot, pressing, and winning ugly, and I can see why there is frustration, when we try and see out a 1-0.

Puel does seem the type, that is happy to play good football, take a lead and protect it, but unfortunately this squad isn’t technically good enough to play the way, I think he’s trying too.

I think we are at a point of big change, and this is why as much as I’m frustrated with puel, I think the squad will be barely recognisable next season,  and he needs time to bring in better technical players, that suit him, and can play the possession game, so I will judge him next season.

oh and expectation this season, I’ve written it off already, stay up, big clear out, and rebuild in the summer.

Edited by Monsell1976
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Not too bad at all ...    but still leaking goals ..   too easily ...   Just a question ..   how much difference would Huth make and is Harry REALLY as good as we all think ?

I think maguire will be good, but he’s being big up as the finished article, the lad has a lot of potential, and a lot to learn.

Huth next to maguire would be solid defensively, if it’s the same huth before injury, and age and injury haven’t caught up with him.

• Like 2

Tbh we were rather fortunate to hold on as long as we did. It's not like we held on because we defended well, we held on because they, predominantly Salah, forgot how to finish. Liverpool were very good and I didn't realise how good their home defensive record was but we didn't test them anywhere near enough which disappointed me most. For a time in the first half, we booted it out of play every time we had it. 

I can't understand calling for Puel's head, that's mindless. He's hamstrung by the squad he's got, with players he clearly doesn't fancy and deadwood making it onto the pitch. But make no mistake about it, we were poor today, we were back to barely being able to string a pass together for a good 50 minutes of it, of course people will be frustrated. And that's on the back of a terrible second half against a poor Watford side having also been smashed by Palace two weeks ago. 8th in the league flatters us, we are there by virtue of the fact most of the 12 teams below us are utter horseshit. 

I have faith that once Puel has more of the players he wants and rest between games, he'll have us improving all the time and we'll be on the right track. It's been a tough couple of weeks but after Chelsea, and ignoring the Man City write off, we have a favourable schedule with pretty much one game a week depending on what happens in the cup. We're going to be frustrating and inconsistent but we will get there by the last few games and hopefully be able to muster up something much more pleasing next season.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

My problem is not with the manager today it’s with The whole team losing the ball so easily and why do we always kick it out for a throwing at every kick off! 

This annoys me every time, no other team I’ve seen does it and there seems to be no advantage to it 

• Like 1