Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

New Series of Taskmaster?

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Final point is a good one. One series where I'd heard of all the contestant, and I thought it was that bad I've never actually finished it. That was the Russell Howard, Tim Vine, Asim Chaudhry, Lisa Tarbuck and Alice Levine series. I'm wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of them all, but they were all household names and I thought it was a terrible series.

Yeah I agree that was probably the worst series. Joe Thomas always stands out for me as I love the Inbetweeners, but I've never seen a contestant try so hard 

40 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Final point is a good one. One series where I'd heard of all the contestant, and I thought it was that bad I've never actually finished it. That was the Russell Howard, Tim Vine, Asim Chaudhry, Lisa Tarbuck and Alice Levine series. I'm wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of them all, but they were all household names and I thought it was a terrible series.

Alice Levine though just a bit right lads SIGN ME UP BROTHER. 

Worst series for my money was the one Lou Sanders won, I just didn't find anyone on it remotely funny. This series was always going to be a bit of a struggle with everything going on and it's followed the Ed Gamble series which I thought was arguably the best there's been apart from S1.

-------------

I don't think next series looks bad at all, Mike Wozniak is great, I'd fancy Lee Mack to actually be really good value and Maddix / Ritchie are different enough to keep it interesting. I'd sooner lesser known folk there's some mystery about rather than household names I know aren't funny.

7 hours ago, RobHawk said:

Just read the line up for the Xmas special, now that line up is the worry with the move to channel 4, not a comedian in sight 🤔

Just googled it, that looks horrendous.

Nicola Couhglan from Derry Girls, could be quite entertaining

John Hannah, a bit left field but could be quite funny

Krishnan Guru Murphy, hmm a bit meh 

Rylan, eurgh

Shirley Ballas, WTF?

Any of the first 3 could work in a series with 4 other stand ups as the non comic contestant.

But those 3 together with 2 real duds it could be painful.

43 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Just googled it, that looks horrendous.

Nicola Couhglan from Derry Girls, could be quite entertaining

John Hannah, a bit left field but could be quite funny

Krishnan Guru Murphy, hmm a bit meh 

Rylan, eurgh

Shirley Ballas, WTF?

Any of the first 3 could work in a series with 4 other stand ups as the non comic contestant.

But those 3 together with 2 real duds it could be painful.

Lucky it's only a one off, I'll still watch it in the hope Greg goes full rage, but I'm already expecting it to be shit

I don't think you neccessarily have to be comedians to make tasks funny so we'll see how well it works because it's definitely an avenue they may look into the more series they have. 

It's been a bit hit and miss this series, I actually found Jonny Vegas to be my favourite whilst normally finding him unbearable. Katherine Parkinson annoyingly stupid, others were all ok at different times. Ok series with occasional really funny moments. The prize tasks and end of show tasks were a bit disappointing but clearly restricted. Must be difficult to keep thinking of tasks though. 

The best moments are when contestants are trying normally but funny things happen. To many try to do something funny. 

Not too familiar with the new line up other than Lee Mack who I do like in small doses, I fear he'll be like This Gilbert who just tried to do the most stupid thing at times. 

• Like 1

Just finished the current season-  it was my first series as the move to Channel 4 meant I could watch subtitles on the catch up.   I thought it was really an entertaining watch and liked all of the contestants expect for Richard.   Maawan was pure gold- bossed the prize tasks and his cat comment in the last episode killed me.   I thought it was impressive how Daisy came 2nd despite being atrocious at prize tasks.  

Debating whether if it is wortwhile catching up on all earlier seasons or not.    

Edited by The Blur

Just now, The Blur said:

Just finished the current season-  it was my first series as the move to Channel 4 meant I could watch subtitles on the catch up.   I thought it was really an entertaining watch and liked all of the contestants expect for Richard.   Maawan was pure gold- bossed the prize tasks and his cat comment in the last episode killed me.   I thought it was impressive how Daisy came 2nd despite being atrocious at prize tasks.  

It is. 

• Like 1

On 20/12/2020 at 00:17, The Blur said:

Thought the same - never warmed to Richard at all, and thought Mawaan was brilliant throughout. The prize tasks were pretty universally poor though, especially Daisy. Obviously some of that is limited by covid making things tricky, but still some of them definitely phoned it in.

We started watching s8 at the same time as s10 and just caught up the most recent 3 series. Thought it'd be annoying as we already knew some of the winners and broadly speaking how some people do, but it was still a great watch and definitely worth going back and catching up. We'll be going through the older series whilst we wait for s11 to come out, for sure.

• Thanks 1

For me, TM peaked at Season 7 and will have to do very well to get back there again.

Season 8 suffered from Lou Sanders desperation to win and boring ultra competitiveness as well as poor Paul Sinha, who was so injured it wasn't worth him doing most tasks. I know he's not for everyone but if it wasn't for Iain Sterling it'd have been complete guff.

Seasons 9 and 10 have been okay, S9 was made by Ed Gamble, really for me as well.

Throughly enjoyed season 10 even if some of the studio sections were a bit flat. 

But have to say enjoyed the New Zealand version even more and didn’t know any of the competitors at all. The tasks seem much more back to basics than more recent UK series. The Taskmaster himself is a bit too nice and not as good as Greg, but otherwise the whole series more than stands up to the UK version and is worth a watch. 

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

For me, TM peaked at Season 7 and will have to do very well to get back there again.

Season 8 suffered from Lou Sanders desperation to win and boring ultra competitiveness as well as poor Paul Sinha, who was so injured it wasn't worth him doing most tasks. I know he's not for everyone but if it wasn't for Iain Sterling it'd have been complete guff.

Seasons 9 and 10 have been okay, S9 was made by Ed Gamble, really for me as well.

How can S8 suffer from Lou Sanders' desperation to win/boring ultra-competitiveness when that is exactly what Iain Sterling did, and maybe even more lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Throughly enjoyed season 10 even if some of the studio sections were a bit flat. 

But have to say enjoyed the New Zealand version even more and didn’t know any of the competitors at all. The tasks seem much more back to basics than more recent UK series. The Taskmaster himself is a bit too nice and not as good as Greg, but otherwise the whole series more than stands up to the UK version and is worth a watch. 

That's a lot of strong NZ accents you can only take so much of lol 

Having said that, if it was replaced with 45minutes of Rose Matafeo saying shed, I'll be satisfied.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

How can S8 suffer from Lou Sanders' desperation to win/boring ultra-competitiveness when that is exactly what Iain Sterling did, and maybe even more lol 

Well see, this is where it's all about perception?

For me, Sterling did it but with actual humour? Like there was even a hint that he wasn't taking it over seriously. Lou seemed to compete like her life depended on it, lacked any sort of banter and bordered on complete arrogance.

Again, subjective, but if I watch S8 back, it's Sanders, not Sterling, who I find unbearable. Just the way it is innit.

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Well see, this is where it's all about perception?

For me, Sterling did it but with actual humour? Like there was even a hint that he wasn't taking it over seriously. Lou seemed to compete like her life depended on it, lacked any sort of banter and bordered on complete arrogance.

Again, subjective, but if I watch S8 back, it's Sanders, not Sterling, who I find unbearable. Just the way it is innit.

I think they were quite similar and Sterling was genuinely angry at losing every task lol

Can't deny he wasn't humorous with it. Maybe was laughing at him not with him! 

Lou Sanders is just not very funny, and I think that's the problem. Seen her on a few shows and heard on podcasts and she's just tries to be a bit weird for laughs, but its painfully unfunny.

Edited by Facecloth

Controversial view incoming.

I really enjoyed season 8, even Lou Sanders. I thought Season 9 was the second worst for me (only beaten by the Liza Tarbuck series). Only really enjoyed Ed from season 9, David Badiel and Jo Brand were especially pointless.

This season I thought was great. 

• Like 1

Series 7 was the most disappointed I've been with a series versus my expectation of it. Jessica Knappett and Kerry Godliman were painful.

Surprised to see some hate for series 9 which I thought was the best in a while (bar David Baddiel's half arsed schtick which wore thin after a couple of tasks). Series 8 was the worst for me and the only one I didn't see through to the end, no chemistry between any of the folk on it and none of them were approaching funny.

It's been discussed before but I think John Robins would be cracking value on it and he's mates with Horne, get him on the plane imqhõ.

5 hours ago, StanSP said:

That's a lot of strong NZ accents you can only take so much of lol 

Having said that, if it was replaced with 45minutes of Rose Matafeo saying shed, I'll be satisfied.

Ha. There’s a task later on where there’s a lot of ‘shid’ mentions which made me laugh thinking of this.

Edited by when_you're_smiling

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

I didn't think the special was too bad. Definitely scope for non comedian contestants in the future. 

It was quite enjoyable, but I think some of them would start to grate over a whole series. Rylan was just about tolerable last night, and Greg was on top form but he can only carry it for a while without decent comedians to bounce off. 

Weird to think of it as a celebrity special as the normal contestants are also celebrities, but that's what it was and worked as a one off.

• Like 1