Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League: Winter break under discussion before new TV deal

The Premier League is considering introducing a winter break when the next television rights deal is agreed.

The top leagues in Germany, France, Italy and Spain all take time out in mid-season.

The Football Association has previously said a winter break is not feasible until the end of the current television deal in 2019.

Talks have been ongoing for several months, and are understood to have been constructive.

A January break has been under discussion which, if agreed, would not impact on the traditional festive football schedule

I'd be gutted if this happens, I think it's one of the things that makes the Premier League special and it is traditional in this country. Plus you cant beat going to a Boxing Day or New Years Day home game and getting on the beers before hand!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I don't mind having a couple of games there, but the number of games crammed into a short period does nobody any favours. Fans struggle with cash, clubs struggle with injuries and fatigue. So long as the break doesn't mean congestion at another time of year, then I'm all for it.

We can then put to bed the myth England and English teams don't win things because of no break, rather than just being a bit shit.

I don't know if we need a winter break, just don't flog them to death over this period, we don't need a game between Boxing Day and New Years Day and 2 games a week in the build up. We also need to look at how the cups bottle neck around that period. If you are in the Semis of the League cup you have to fit in 2 legs for the semi, + FA Cup third round.

First thing I would look to scrap is the 2 leg LC semis, play them on a neutral ground, one leg and give the LC semi finalists a bye in the FA Cup third round.

If it was this year:

The game between Boxing Day and New Year is moved to midweek 23rd of Jan (EFL Cup second leg) from Jan 2nd to Jan 12th no PL games, FA cup third round and replays (which could also be up for scrapping) are played in this period except for LC semi finalists who play their semi-final on a neutral ground and get a bye to the fourth round.

Man City for example would play 2  fewer games and everyone else would get the games spread more evenly.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I'm not sure if a winter break is the answer but I don't like how we can go nearly 2 weeks without a game sometimes when there's International friendlies, and then have a game every other day over the Xmas period. It's one extreme to the other and needs addressing IMO

Got to agree . We don’t need a break just not quite so many games over the Xmas, new year period as it’s stupid . Even if it includes extending the season by a week or two 

17 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I'm not sure if a winter break is the answer but I don't like how we can go nearly 2 weeks without a game sometimes when there's International friendlies, and then have a game every other day over the Xmas period. It's one extreme to the other and needs addressing IMO

That is the other option move things like league cup semi finals/final to international friendly weeks, yes a few teams might miss a few players or get them late, but as long as it is only a friendly then it shouldn't matter too much and give other players a chance to push for their inclusion.

Im not keen on a winter break and really think its an excuse for why we perform shit at tournaments.

Didnt see the Wales team tired in euro 2016 did we? 

What about all the foreign players in this country? They don't look tired either.

Just an English excuse.

As previously said I feel if it did happen then possibly the league cup will be scrapped

35 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

I'd be gutted if this happens, I think it's one of the things that makes the Premier League special and it is traditional in this country. Plus you cant beat going to a Boxing Day or New Years Day home game and getting on the beers before hand!

There will still be Games boxing dayBoxing Day

This is all because of the drawn out over blown Euro competitions clogging up the fixture list.

The 'big boys' will eventually find a way to reduce the PL.

A winter break will cause more congestion something will have to give and  will give them the excuse to bulldoze through a PL reduction along with no entry to the EFL Cup Euro playing teamms which will lose it's Euro spot to the next place in the league - that's my prediction.

58 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I don't mind having a couple of games there, but the number of games crammed into a short period does nobody any favours. Fans struggle with cash, clubs struggle with injuries and fatigue. So long as the break doesn't mean congestion at another time of year, then I'm all for it.

We can then put to bed the myth England and English teams don't win things because of no break, rather than just being a bit shit.

This year was ridiculous, you could cut at least one of those games out or at least have the FA Cup 3rd round on or around New Years Day so you can stick 11 kids out.

Imagine thinking that this isn't so that the big clubs can play more friendlies abroad against each other. That's the sole purpose of this. Don't be fooled by the national team nonsense - as much as I do think this years schedule was OTT and needed trimming down.