Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

11 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

What about if Puel is a failure. Will you come back on here & admit you were wrong about him? Or will you pass the buck onto the players & owners?

I don't believe I've made any loud claims about Puel - I don't know enough to gob off on here about such matters. But thanks for the whataboutery, before the fact, and aimed at the wrong person.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Got a link?

Did he expect a lot of outgoings or was he hopeful?

Not got a link but from memory he said competition for places was healthy and then countered this by saying

he had too many strikers and eight midfielders competing for three places. So by inference I'm assuming

he wants to ship a few out .

I agree we've got too many players .

20 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahahaa I think you're being very preseumptious about West Ham and very naive about us but some positivity isn't a bad thing. I think there's a lot of off the field issues at our club that have been holding us back for a while now and regardless of the manager will hamper us. The manager has very little faith from the fans and the owners will expect a fast start which will be very difficult, I think there's a sense of inevitability that he'll likely be gone within a few months and it's causing apathy.

That's our biggest problem for me. I don't think we're signing badly at all but I still think there are some deeper issues that need tackling. If this Schmeichel / Puel business is true, then we won't do well. You won't succeed with a dressing room like that.

One positive was that hearing him on the radio his spoken English delivery had improved. Normally I stop listening after about  5 seconds. His vocab still has some  way to go understandably.

23 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

We were in 13th position when he took over.

Another one of those bloody urban myths that needs debunking asap.

Strange I always took that as gospel Is this because we were 17th when we sacked Craig Shakespeare, but then climbed a few positions once Appleton won his only game in charge?

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 1

On 20/07/2018 at 15:36, RowlattsFox said:

What does Puel have to do this season to be deemed a success? If anyone is 'expecting' a challenge for the top 6 then they more than likely going to be disappointed. People going to be happy with a top 10 finish? I feel like he's almost in a job he can't really win unless something special happens.

Obviously the standard of football needs to improve as a priority and hopefully that brings positive results.

I just want the team to play with positivity and bring me a good feeling.

11 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Strange I always took that as gospel Is this because we were 17th when we sacked Craig Shakespeare, but then climbed a few positions once Appleton won his only game in charge?

Stating "we finished 9th and Puel got us there from 17th when he took over" is inaccurate, because we were in fact in 13th position when he took over.

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

Wow! Defensive lol I was asking you an honest question not saying you were wrong.

Wasn't having a go at you, just merely stating facts.

I just want to clarify things and smother some of these urban myths regarding LCFC - another one of these stories is the claim that we are one of the 14 richest football clubs in the world.

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

Yes.

If i remember correctly we were 17th when Shakespeare was sacked and Appleton took over for 2 games 1 league game and 1 cup game, we won both. This escalated our position to 14th. :D 

Oh and to add, i am not 100% on this and i could be wrong but thats how i remember it. 

Edited by Suzie the Fox
Last paragraph
  • Like 1

One thing that is abundantly clear is that the knives will be out for Puel at the earliest opportunity. Yesterday afternoon I was surrounded by a number of people more interested in slating every wayward pass and picking apart our tactics than supporting the team. I am not exaggerating when I say there was silence for a few minutes each time we scored before the bandwagon started moving again.

Evidently not everyone is wiping the slate clean, despite what was actually a decent showing for our first outing and with none of the world cup lads.

• Like 1

I think this misplaced dislike of CP suggests a lot of fans can’t or won’t see the reality of the situation. 

How can you judge fairly a manager in just over half a season, with no signings (I know he made 1) and no preseason, it’s madness. 

We we were playing some lovely stuff at first. Our poor run coincided with the whole Mahrez debacle and I expect some players were frustrated he got back in the team. But in CP I think he knew we had no choice given other options. 

Hes inherited a large unbalanced squad that needs sorting. I for one support the policy of bringing through our academy players and giving the like of Elder a chance to prove themselves. 

The style that won the league is not sustainable long term. CP is trying to take the club forward and hopefully give us an identity - we’ve spent loads on players that haven’t worked out. I just can’t see why this new approach is worse - I think all 4 signings address problem areas in the squad. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'd like to ask all the miserable know-it-alls one small favour. If/when you're proven wrong, will you all return to this thread, humbly, and say 'well, I really know very little - I'll think twice before shutting my mind and opening my mouth next time.'?

I'd like to think so, rather than try to excuse your nonsense after the fact with a load of anti-intellectual whataboutery.

I'm not a big fan. I think he should've been fired towards the end of the season or at least after the final game.

However, I sincerely hope he's brilliant and the team are brilliant this season and I'll be thrilled to bits because I support the team first and foremost.

There'll be no "I told you so" from me if it goes to shiit and equally there'll be no apology if he wins us the league.

That's because there's no need for either.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I'm not a big fan. I think he should've been fired towards the end of the season or at least after the final game.

However, I sincerely hope he's brilliant and the team are brilliant this season and I'll be thrilled to bits because I support the team first and foremost.

There'll be no "I told you so" from me if it goes to shiit and equally there'll be no apology if he wins us the league.

That's because there's no need for either.

I think Geoff, you've made it abundantly clear your opinion on Puel. However, I'm in the half full club on this one. Sure I'm not blinded by issues that need addressing or that reoccur, but maybe we can all look at the positives and some of the areas of progress this summer transfer-wise and give the team and management the opportunity to genuinely turn that frown upside down. Despite losing Mahrez (which was inevitable at some point) we've made significant efforts to address areas lacking.

I personally believe we can start a new chapter this season.

One I drafted earlier:

https://sphericalfox.wordpress.com/2018/07/20/the-puelitzer-prize/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Interesting post match presser from Puel.

Expect a substantial number of outgoings by the sound of it.

Good.. If we signed one player and moved on 3 I would be happy.

18 hours ago, Cropwellfox said:

Couple of bits from post match. Puel Seemed more concerned with outgoings then incoming transfers in post match interview. Kept talking about numbers of players in squad, too many attackers and too many midfielders, needing to find a better balance. 

His English seemed to be quite a bit better through the interview as well. 

3 hours ago, LestaAl said:

One positive was that hearing him on the radio his spoken English delivery had improved. Normally I stop listening after about  5 seconds. His vocab still has some  way to go understandably.

Doesn't anyone think that his English has probably always been better than he lets on in interviews?

Seemingly struggling over words gives him extra time to think how to reply to some of the questions he's asked by the assorted press and media muppets which range from banal to inflammatory. 

Whilst it often comes across as boring to us, the viewers, I think it's a bit of a defence mechanism and he isn't the first manager from abroad to do it.

Edited by Max Wall

24 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Doesn't anyone think that his English has probably always been better than he lets on in interviews?

Seemingly struggling over words gives him extra time to think how to reply to some of the questions he's asked by the assorted press and media muppets which range from banal to inflammatory. 

Whilst it often comes across as boring to us, the viewers, I think it's a bit of a defence mechanism and he isn't the first manager from abroad to do it.

No I just think he's as dull as dish water. 

I actually don't bother watching any of his videos on the LCFC Player anymore because apart from being torturous, you don't learn anything. I could live with him being as boring as hell if you actually learned anything from him but he ends up repeating generic rubbish.

Of course this doesn't mean he's not an excellent coach or tactically astute. I just think he'll struggle if we go through a bad patch to win the fans back around as our patience will be running thin and all his personality faults will be suddenly magnified. 

NP was the exact opposite, when things were going bad he would turn on the media, fans and anybody who questioned him (FOAD and delusions of grandeur to the whole fan base my personal favourites) Then there was Ostridge Gate and of course the McArthur fiasco. All those things told me he cared.

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

One thing that is abundantly clear is that the knives will be out for Puel at the earliest opportunity. Yesterday afternoon I was surrounded by a number of people more interested in slating every wayward pass and picking apart our tactics than supporting the team. I am not exaggerating when I say there was silence for a few minutes each time we scored before the bandwagon started moving again.

Evidently not everyone is wiping the slate clean, despite what was actually a decent showing for our first outing and with none of the world cup lads.

That's a shame if the fans can't get behind the team and manager.  I hate it when some fans are willing us to fail just to satisfy their own agenda.

I thought that was it for Puel after the Palace and West Ham games but he did rescue himself with some positive performances against Arsenal and Spurs.  Clearly he was backed by the owners at the time so lets keep an open mind and give him a proper chance with the new season.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Koke said:

We have s huge unbalanced squad that needs trimming down. We got some dead wood that need to be moved on. We got useless players on stupid wages. It will take couple of more windows to sort all that out but at least Puel recognises that and is trying to trim the squad. First thing he did in January was send King, Slimani, Ulloa and Musa out on loan. He is probably hoping he can do the sane again this window to reduce the wage bill. 

Some people have a tunnel vision regarding Puel but folks please remember all the problems we are currently complaining about existed pre-Puel (shit football, huge squad, Mahrez wanting to leave asap, dead wood players like Benny, Ulloa etc). 

If Puel sorts out half these problems before he gets sacked we will look back on his tenure with a bit more respect in years to come.

I'd have to agree, whether it was Puel or someone else, there is a massive squad resphaping excise to carry out. Reminds me of the job NP had to do after Sven's buying spree.

Our transfer policy has been pretty dreadful for a couple of seasons. This summer whether it's Puel input, we seem to have a better approach, and seem to be addressing the weakness in the squad, all of other signings make sense.

20 minutes ago, Collymore said:

No I just think he's as dull as dish water. 

I actually don't bother watching any of his videos on the LCFC Player anymore because apart from being torturous, you don't learn anything. I could live with him being as boring as hell if you actually learned anything from him but he ends up repeating generic rubbish.

Of course this doesn't mean he's not an excellent coach or tactically astute. I just think he'll struggle if we go through a bad patch to win the fans back around as our patience will be running thin and all his personality faults will be suddenly magnified. 

NP was the exact opposite, when things were going bad he would turn on the media, fans and anybody who questioned him (FOAD and delusions of grandeur to the whole fan base my personal favourites) Then there was Ostridge Gate and of course the McArthur fiasco. All those things told me he cared.

lol Fair enough comment. Pretty balanced given you added the caveat about his coaching ability & tactical awareness. The jury is still out on that but your post does indicate you're prepared to give him a chance which many aren't. Personally, I'm right behind him but he most definitely has a lot of things to prove this season.

As for his interviews, I'm of a mind that if we learn nothing, the upcoming opposition learns nothing too. I don't even watch his interviews myself.

I do take your point about a bad patch though but you can go through a good patch and 50% of Foxestalk is on your back anyway.

Pearson was unquestionably a different animal (you choose the operative word in that sentence). No doubt he cared and it was written all over his face but that doesn't mean to me that Puel cares less. Pearson was great for the club, I just hope (as I'm sure most do) that Puel turns out to be good too.

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 1