Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

3 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Would you say the same if he won a up this year or got us into Europe 

I reckon so. Sharpe's opinion really is set in stone.

To be honest, Craig Levein could take Scotland to World cup glory and you couldn't convince me he was a good manager so I really can't criticise I suppose. I'm just surprised at the level of objection there is to Puel at times given he hasn't had a full season yet. If we're in the bottom 3 and struggling after 10 games it will be more understandable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I reckon so. Sharpe's opinion really is set in stone.

To be honest, Craig Levein could take Scotland to World cup glory and you couldn't convince me he was a good manager so I really can't criticise I suppose. I'm just surprised at the level of objection there is to Puel at times given he hasn't had a full season yet. If we're in the bottom 3 and struggling after 10 games it will be more understandable.

Yep totally agree . Don’t get me wrong I’m not completely convinced on Puel myself but you’ve got to give him time and I can see what he is trying to do . It now depends on if he can pull it off 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I have little feeling for Puel, one way or the other. I hope he does well cos I want us to do well. So I’m prepared to wait and watch.

But one thing is true. When I hear him interviewed he bores me to fookin tears. I guess he must be able to, but I find it difficult to imagine him motivating players particularly.

Irrelevant.

As long as he gets results no one could and should give a flying one about him being shit at giving good interviews. 

You're not in dressing room. He's manager at high level for almost 20 years for a reason. It also supposes that he can somewhat motivate his team. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

There is nothing likeable about him. Crap manager, boring personality, boring football, ugly face, boring interviews. I used to watch every interview of Nige, Ranieri and Shakey. Before then I’d listen to Sven, Sousa, even wankers like Holloway and Mad Dog on the radio. I leave the room when I see or hear this cvnt. Can’t stand the bloke.

Stop sitting on the fence Sharpey and tell us what you really think. 

• Haha 1

Re: the Puel interviews thing

I'm hoping his English has improved, and the delivery of it too, because if he speaks to the players in the way he speaks to the media it won't be easy for them to be motivated.

So many times last year, an answer to a question would drag past 2 minutes and at the end I'd have no real idea what he was on about.

You don't want a soundbite clown ie Holloway (especially when things aren't going well) and you don't want deathly dull either.

As I say, I hope he's improved his communication skills with the media and especially with the players.

Ultimately though it's about results on the pitch. They are king.

I never got the fascination with how managers speak to the media. Who gives a f***! Why do we care what Puel says to the press? Why did we care about Pearson trolling some journos? What matters is how we’re performing on the pitch! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Do players really need someone screaming at them to be motivated. Surely representing the club and being paid **** tons is enough.... Lol

I think the days of screaming managers are long gone just like in any work place it achieves nothing. A good manager in any industry understands the needs of each and every worker/player and motivates them in a way that suits. I wouldn’t get motivated by someone screaming and balling at me all day long, I want constructive criticism when needed and a pat on the back when earned. 

46 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Re: the Puel interviews thing

I'm hoping his English has improved, and the delivery of it too, because if he speaks to the players in the way he speaks to the media it won't be easy for them to be motivated.

So many times last year, an answer to a question would drag past 2 minutes and at the end I'd have no real idea what he was on about.

You don't want a soundbite clown ie Holloway (especially when things aren't going well) and you don't want deathly dull either.

As I say, I hope he's improved his communication skills with the media and especially with the players.

Ultimately though it's about results on the pitch. They are king.

Heard last season that he regularly had interpreters in the dressing room and training ground, telling them his demands for them to translate into English to the players.

Without effective communication with the players and staff, the club's ambitions would bound to suffer and hence doubt his lack of English is affecting the quality of team communication.

• Like 2

I think some people give importance to interviews because they obvioulsy don't understand football and know it but think they can understand sentences (the simpler ones at least).

2 hours ago, That_Dude said:

Irrelevant.

As long as he gets results no one could and should give a flying one about him being shit at giving good interviews. 

You're not in dressing room. He's manager at high level for almost 20 years for a reason. It also supposes that he can somewhat motivate his team. 

For me it’s very relevant. It doesn’t link to success etc but I like to hear a manager being interviewed who gains my interest and who I can think ‘yep I get that’

Puel just switches me off almost instantaneously. And it’s not a language thing. Ranieri was completely the opposite. I used to listen to him and was well entertained!

:D

2 minutes ago, yks said:

I think some people give importance to interviews because they obvioulsy don't understand football and know it but think they can understand sentences (the simpler ones at least).

:please:

(I’ve found myself doing that a lot on here recently....)

Edited by Col city fan

2 minutes ago, yks said:

Quite ironic that your sentence makes no sense. 

• Like 2

Pochettino did fine without knowing english at southampton. Dont think he knew a word. Think the problem is our players didnt want to listen as they want to dictate.

And when I say our players, I mean the prem winning ones.

Edited by lgfualol
  • Like 1

Anyone who sees Puel being interviewed as the real Puel is being incredibly naive. When it was going bad he didn’t want to be in those interviews. I’m sure his English will be much better than we are made to believe. 

• Like 2

When things don't go well i don't expect a manager to highlight every short coming.... however i do like it when they say they're dissapointed and will assure the fans tjat the team will work their socks off to sort it out.

Matty james was great... really honest in his interviews during the great escape season (before the escape).  While pearsons wariness of the press often made me think we'd watched different games... in fact his assessments improved once he sat in the stand and could see problems unfolding.  

I find puels flannel  (intensity etc) insulting. .. ok i don't expect him to drop his pants. . But acknowledging there is work to do would show he is not in denial

Edited by foxinsocks

Did anyone else listen to the Puel interview after Notts County yesterday, or was I the only one? 

His English was not that poor. It was a fine interview. He sounds like any other manager in the pre-season. 

Edited by UPinCarolina
  • Like 1

I think Puel is looking at the squad a year on thinking we probably have enough to improve. We have a lot of quality young players signed an not used. He has started blooding them and can see him building for the future. I know I know like the great Alan Hansen said you win nothing with kids .!!! 

• Like 1