Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Claude Puel hints at contract extension for Wes Morgan

City captain is an important part of the City squad, says pleased Puel

Leicester City captain Wes Morgan could be offered a contract extension by manager Claude Puel.

The 34-year-old has one more year to run on his present deal but Puel has said Morgan is a valuable player in his squad.

Harry Maguire has become City's first choice centre back this season and the England international has played every minute of every Premier League game this season, and City are expected to recruit at least one new central defender this summer, with a permanent move for Aleksandar Dragovic, who has been on loan from Bayer Leverkusen this season, an option.

However, while the central defensive pairing of Morgan and Robert Huth, who is out of contract at the end of the season, appears to be over, Morgan is still part of Puel's plans.

“Wes is our captain and a valuable player for us," said Puel.

"He has a contract for next season and then we will see.

“I cannot say he can have six or seven years more of contract but I am happy with Wes, he’s a good professional with a good relationship with his team-mates.

“He is a valuable player for us and for the team. He’s very important and I am happy with him with everything.”

He hasn't been that bad to be fair but his inclusion had been to the detriment of the team and our form when he wasn't playing was very good.

I guess we need to decide what's more important, playing our old guard or winning as many games as possible. We'll find out where the priority lies next season.

Wes is one of our best ever defenders, a true club legend! He made a howler on the weekend, but has otherwise had a decent season, so I am in favour of a new contract.

I do think that Dragovic should be given more time, and did not deserve to be dropped from the team given his performances, but it's important to have depth in the squad, and I'm happy if Wes is a part of that.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Had a very decent decent season until now. Every Defender has a brain fart at some point. 

See no reason to not a keep him as back-up.

So so so many goals can be pointed at Wes this season.

He seems to be about 2 or 3 yards from the bloke he's meant to be marking at all times. Add that to the fact he looks like he's a 4 year old learning to play football whenever he receives it to feet. He's really not very good.

He makes a tremendous wall, I'll give him that.

• Like 1

That's a non-story, Puel has basically said Wes will be here for the remainder of his 1 year deal and then they'll review it around this time next year.

Assuming Wes, who has been a great captain since 2012, is to be phased out then a removal from captain and immediate exit from the club is probably too sudden. Can see next season, if not the following one, Wes losing the armband but remaining part of the squad a little after to ease the transition.

9 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I really hope that's just Puel being clever and not rocking the boat before the end of the season.

If Morgan is leading the team out next season we might as well call it another write off.

In all seriousness, I think that's exactly what it will be. I wonder if Puel will give Morgan the rope to hang himself, meaning Wes won't be extended beyond next year but Puel doesn't lose face with a bloke who is a club legend and clearly a big part of the dressing room.

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

So so so many goals can be pointed at Wes this season.

He seems to be about 2 or 3 yards from the bloke he's meant to be marking at all times. Add that to the fact he looks like he's a 4 year old learning to play football whenever he receives it to feet. He's really not very good.

He makes a tremendous wall, I'll give him that.

Same could be said about Maguire with his gung ho attitude. Far from wanting Maguire to be dropped but one has to be fair.

I for one wanted to see Dragovic keep his place because, aside from his ability on the ball, I found that he reads the game well and makes a better pair with Maguire.

But I can put the defense problems only on Morgan.

Edited by ZeGuy

I've actually been pleasantly surprised by Wes this season (apart from the weekend). Performed well in most games, even with being asked to hold and play the ball more. I still find it an absolute joy to see him trying a few tricks (mostly successfully!), when he finds himself in the attacking half on the odd occasion.

I actually think 1 more year for us after this season is perfect, as he will still be a very useful as a 3rd or even 4th choice. He should not be starting next season though, if we really do have ambitions on challenging for that 6th place. A contract extension beyond that would be unlikely I would have thought. Puel probably just saying the right things, to keep him motivated and his full attention on Leicester and not a 3 year contract elsewhere.

I'd sign Dragovic, use Amartey as a CB and possible sign one more, possibly a talented youngster or promote within. That would give us Maguire/Drago, Wes/Amartey and an understudy. 

Would have liked to seen more of Dragovic to be completely sure he is a worthy season long starter, and obviously Amartey is still untested back there at this level, so I wouldn't argue against picking up a player like Evans on the cheap either. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lovejoy said:

Puel Out.

If he offers a contract extension beyond the next 12 months, then I am afraid it really is 'Puel the Fool'.  He should go.  This is not building for the future.