Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

14 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Liverpool bid £62m for Allison. He ain't that good! 

Only 25 and a huge part of a fairly average side making it to the QF of the Champions League, a tournament in which they only conceded to Liverpool at home. Granted he's only really had one season at Roma, but he is also Brazil's number 1 ahead of Ederson who was fantastic for Man City last season. £62m is too much for a goalkeeper (or any human being), but Liverpool are part of the problem with the ridiculous fees they've paid over the past couple of seasons. 

28 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Liverpool bid £62m for Allison. He ain't that good! 

If you believe in stats.

From what I remember, in the PL last season, De Gea and Pope did the best on this stat, while Kasper scored rather poorly.

Edited by brucey
  • Like 3

Crazy money but if I were Liverpool’s CEO I’d sanction it because they’ve struggled with that position since Reina left. Man City will probably win the title again but Liverpool look the best challengers to me and a world class GK would close the gap further. 

London Stadium: Search for sponsor of West Ham's home costs nearly £450,000
By Frank Keogh

BBC Sport

The London Stadium

Nearly £450,000 of taxpayers' money has been spent trying to find a sponsor for West Ham's London Stadium home but a backer is still being sought.

The stadium's owner, the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC), has been accused of wasting cash in its search for a naming rights partner.

A sponsorship expert says it could take years to secure a deal.

Two companies have been paid a total of £447,000 to try to find a naming rights partner, the BBC has learned.

But after two potential deals collapsed, no discussions are currently taking place.

The stadium, built for the London Olympics in 2012, has been dogged by controversy over its finances. Converting it into a football ground cost £323m when the original estimate was £190m.

The verdict on West Ham’s stadium move
Although West Ham pay an annual rent of £2.5m as tenants, the venue is still set to lose £140m over the next 10 years. Any sponsorship would offset those losses.

Telecoms company Vodafone pulled out of a £20m six-year naming rights deal in May 2017, while Indian conglomerate Mahindra had earlier shown interest.

"Two deals with global brands came close to being delivered but this is an extremely competitive and narrow market which requires significant time and effort to identify the appropriate brands able to enter into such major commercial deals," said a LLDC spokesman.

The first £4m a year of any deal would go to the corporation, with West Ham sharing any revenue above that.

Two agencies with expertise in attracting sponsors have been used, with the hope that revenue would dwarf their costs.

IMG was paid £260,000 after being hired by the LLDC in 2013. Then ESP was given £187,000 when retained by LLDC's subsidiary company E20 for 16 months from March 2015.

Gareth Bacon, chairman of the London Assembly's budget and performance committee, said he was "mystified" by the failure to secure a suitable sponsor.

"It's taxpayers' money that has been wasted. When you pay that kind of money and get absolutely nothing in return, that's not great," said Bacon, the Conservatives' leader on the assembly.

"There is a Premier League club playing in the stadium which held the most successful Olympic Games ever, in a major European country."

In December, London mayor Sadiq Khan announced he was taking control of the stadium after a report established it was losing about £20m a year.

Research by global valuation advisor Duff & Phelps has suggested naming rights for the venue could fetch at least £4.8m annually.

But leading sponsorship adviser Tim Crow, who has been involved in numerous stadium rights deals, said more non-football events needed to be staged at the venue.

"It's a tough sell. Unless they drop the price, if the situation remains as it is, it could remain unsold for years," he said.

"UK sports sponsorship is the softest it's been for a long time, mainly because of Brexit. Business hates uncertainty and if you're asking someone for a long-term sponsorship, it's no good.

"I'm not surprised at all they were unable to find a buyer. The focus should have been on getting sport and entertainment events all year round to make it much more attractive to a potential sponsor."

The World Athletics Championships and World Para-athletics Championships were staged at the stadium last year. Other events, including six sell-out concerts this summer, have been held although it is more difficult to do this during the football season.

"A naming rights deal is an important element of the long-term success of the London Stadium and E20 has taken some of the best advice available to help secure a sponsor, said the LLDC spokesman.

"We have worked hard to promote the London Stadium as a multi-use venue and our experience to date is that this is very appealing to potential sponsors."

It is understood West Ham, who are preparing for their third season at the stadium, have offered to help find a naming rights partner.

The Hammers were awarded a 99-year tenancy in 2013 and under the agreement do not have to pay for certain running costs such as stewarding, goalposts, corner flags, cleaners and turnstile operators.

9 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Courtois on his way to Real Madrid? Looks more and more likely by the day...

Meanwhile, Danny Blind has left Manchester United for a return to Ajax.

Decent for a 56 year old!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Crazy money but if I were Liverpool’s CEO I’d sanction it because they’ve struggled with that position since Reina left. Man City will probably win the title again but Liverpool look the best challengers to me and a world class GK would close the gap further. 

100% this. For me Ederson made a huge difference for Man City last season and if Liverpool could get someone similar in it will be big for them. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Bloody Everton, we should be on this. Southampton take Elyounoussi, Everton could take Malcom, we're probably going to end up with Andros Townsend.

12 goals and 7 assists as a right winger last season in France. Is it just me or did we recently sell ours? :dunno:

The only thing you can say is that we obviously can't sign every player going, and perhaps we already have our replacement lined up (Jahanbahksh?). West Ham signed Anderson who we were also linked with, so basically we are going to sign one player and it will be interesting to see which one of the winger signings that various clubs have made turns out to be the best. I'll admit though that this player is extremely highly rated and was close to a move to Inter Milan and Spurs already this summer.

Everton were absolute crap last year and still finished above us so we have to take them seriously, especially if they sign this fella and Yerry Mina.

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

12 goals and 7 assists as a right winger last season in France. Is it just me or did we recently sell ours? :dunno:

The only thing you can say is that we obviously can't sign every player going, and perhaps we already have our replacement lined up (Jahanbahksh?). West Ham signed Anderson who we were also linked with, so basically we are going to sign one player and it will be interesting to see which one of the winger signings that various clubs have made turns out to be the best. I'll admit though that this player is extremely highly rated and was close to a move to Inter Milan and Spurs already this summer.

Everton were absolute crap last year and still finished above us so we have to take them seriously, especially if they sign this fella and Yerry Mina.

He tailed off a bit last season but at the start of the season in particular he was ripping it up, first 2-3 months of the season he was by far one of the most impressive players in Ligue 1, the lad has talent.

It's just frustrating to see these teams who we should be on par with, signing players who could do a job for us. Maybe it will be Jahanbakhsh but I have to say I would've preferred Felipe Anderson over him, I would prefer Malcom over him, the Eredivisie gets shit on for a reason.

We should be competing with teams like Everton and West Ham who have aspirations for top six, I just think our squad looks a bit on the average side atm.

• Like 1

chelsea are surely absolutely done in this season? hazard and cortious to madrid for 150 mill the pair. willian odds on to go. who have they even got left? no champions league to draw any half decent new signings and a new manager who’s missed half of pre season, too. 

crazy stuff from them. 

Edited by ScouseFox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingfox said:

He tailed off a bit last season but at the start of the season in particular he was ripping it up, first 2-3 months of the season he was by far one of the most impressive players in Ligue 1, the lad has talent.

It's just frustrating to see these teams who we should be on par with, signing players who could do a job for us. Maybe it will be Jahanbakhsh but I have to say I would've preferred Felipe Anderson over him, I would prefer Malcom over him, the Eredivisie gets shit on for a reason.

We should be competing with teams like Everton and West Ham who have aspirations for top six, I just think our squad looks a bit on the average side atm.

Yep good post and I think a lot of us would agree with you. A fear from a lot of the fans I talk to in person is that "without Mahrez we are a bang average team."

I think that's harsh given players like Ndidi, Maguire, Kasper and Vardy, but we looked devoid of creativity even when we did have Mahrez last season, so you can't blame anyone for thinking the worst.

However, as an eternal optimist, I am hoping it will sort itself out. We've signed one of the most exciting English attacking midfielders for years and I'm hoping that some of our other youngsters like Diabate and Nacho will rise to the occasion and step up to become the man! :fc:

Edited by StriderHiryu

8 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

chelsea are surely absolutely done in this season? hazard and cortious to madrid for 150 mill the pair. willian odds on to go. who have they even got left? no champions league to draw any half decent new signings and a new manager who’s missed half of pre season, too. 

crazy stuff from them. 

Arsenal are very quietly having a pretty steady summer as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

crazy stuff from them. 

Would be marvellous to see Chelsea implode. Hopefully Abramovic will withdraw his dirty money but not sell up, a bit like Ashley! Horrible club with fans to match.

11 hours ago, davieG said:

The first £4m a year of any deal would go to the corporation, with West Ham sharing any revenue above that.

That is outrageous. West Ham pay £2.5m a year to rent it and have to pay absolutely no running costs. Why should they get to share any income? 

• Like 3

Been reading up on the Ox's injury. Every major ligament in his knee was damaged.

Obviously the prognosis alters depending on how many actually needed to be reconstructed, but that is a catastrophic injury.

I know he gets top quality surgeons and care, but I've never kicked a football again after an ACL and LCL tear in 2008, even with successful surgery and physio. Multiple ligaments makes it so much more complicated compared to an ACL only.

I'd be amazed if he comes back the same player and it's a real shame as he was starting to shine at Liverpool and would have been good in Southgates system.

Edited by martyn

1 hour ago, martyn said:

I'd be amazed if he comes back the same player and it's a real shame as he was starting to shine at Liverpool and would have been good in Southgates system.

Very unfortunate for him to say the least, having missed out on a Champions League Final, the World Cup and now next season.

As you say I doubt he will be the same player when he recovers from that.

1 hour ago, martyn said:

Been reading up on the Ox's injury. Every major ligament in his knee was damaged.

Obviously the prognosis alters depending on how many actually needed to be reconstructed, but that is a catastrophic injury.

I know he gets top quality surgeons and care, but I've never kicked a football again after an ACL and LCL tear in 2008, even with successful surgery and physio. Multiple ligaments makes it so much more complicated compared to an ACL only.

genuinely think he has a champions league winners and world cup winners medal if he doesn’t get injured

21 hours ago, kingfox said:

Bloody Everton, we should be on this. Southampton take Elyounoussi, Everton could take Malcom, we're probably going to end up with Andros Townsend.

I found Malcolm very disappointing last season.