Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Their manager doesn't have a clue how to organise a defence. Never bought the Howe love in, his teams have the same problems season, after season, after season.

Probably because he took Bournemouth from nothing (and actual nothing, bottom of league two with no money and a 17 points deduction) to survival in the PL including winning the Championship.

Yes he spent money through out his time but the job he's done is remarkable. The fact Bournemouth are in the PL is brilliant never mind staying up again.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Probably because he took Bournemouth from nothing (and actual nothing, bottom of league two with no money and a 17 points deduction) to survival in the PL including winning the Championship.

Yes he spent money through out his time but the job he's done is remarkable. The fact Bournemouth are in the PL is brilliant never mind staying up again.

Remarkable losing £15m in league one and £40m in the championship to get promoted.

Just now, Babylon said:

Remarkable losing £15m in league one and £40m in the championship to get promoted.

So what. He's justified earning that given they were on the verge of existence when he took over. He guided them to safety in League Two after a 17 point deduction. 

But most Championship teams throw money at it. Wolves did it, Wednesday did it, Derby have done it. It's just that, with the right manager, it works. 

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

So what. He's justified earning that given they were on the verge of existence when he took over. He guided them to safety in League Two after a 17 point deduction. 

But most Championship teams throw money at it. Wolves did it, Wednesday did it, Derby have done it. It's just that, with the right manager, it works. 

So what? Ha ha ha. It warps things, wolves wouldn't have done what they did without money, neither would we.

This isn't small club made good through amazing management. Did a good job yes, but he has the same problems every single season in the premier.

16 minutes ago, Babylon said:

So what? Ha ha ha. It warps things, wolves wouldn't have done what they did without money, neither would we.

This isn't small club made good through amazing management. Did a good job yes, but he has the same problems every single season in the premier.

My "so what?" response is because everybody, or at least most managers, do it. It's why I never get the "but Pep just buys players" thing because Alex Ferguson was spending £30million on players 20 years ago.

35 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

I’d love to know what genuinely goes through the head of Mahrez as he sits on a bench and watches football that he used to play. No bitterness. Just curiosity. 

I've often thought that TrentFox. Clearly he loves playing

Imagine the scene 30 years time in the Mahrez houehold

Q        "Grandpa Riyad did you really win all those medals at Manchester City in 2019"?

A        "Of course Grandson"

Q        "Grandpa Riyad can we watch all your highlights on TV starting with The Premier League?"

A        " Err,,, I'm not really in that much"

Q       "The Carabao Cup Final?"

A       "Err,,, I didn't play in that one"

Q      "The FA Cup?"

A       "Err,,,, I didn't play in that one"

Q      "The Champions League Final?"

A       "Err,,, I didn't play in that one"

Riyad   "Tell you what let's play the DVD of he 2020 season when I won the league for the second time with Leicester City"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

So if City offered a straight swap for Chillers, would you take it ??? 

I'd take it.....if he was 24. But he is 28.

It's easier to replace a left back than a goal scoring winger.

Edited by Koke

25 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

My "so what?" response is because everybody, or at least most managers, do it. It's why I never get the "but Pep just buys players" thing because Alex Ferguson was spending £30million on players 20 years ago.

Actually most don't do it in league one or the champ.

Plus, as I keep saying he can't fix the same defensive issues he has season on season. His limitations are obvious and it's exactly why I don't subscribe to the hype.

4 hours ago, Tuna said:

I think Cardiff will go down but their run in looks a bit easier than Brighton's.

Brighton:

Bournemouth (H)
Cardiff (H)
Wolves (A)
Spurs (A)
Newcastle (H)
Arsenal (A)
Man City (H)

Cardiff:
Burnley (A)
Brighton (A)
Liverpool (H)
Fulham (A)
Palace (H)
Man Utd (A)

One less game for Cardiff and I'd say Brighton are a bit more well-equipped to stay in this league when it comes to calibre of players (on paper).

Brighton's next two are huge for them. Cardiff have a lot to do in very little time to avoid relegation...

3 hours ago, TrentFox said:

So if City offered a straight swap for Chillers, would you take it ??? 

I'm sure I'm in a minority but I really don't miss him.  I would certainly rather have Ricardo.

Riyad can do special things but he can also go missing.

6 hours ago, The Bear said:

Now my ban has ended I can answer this. 

Yeah that's pretty much spot on. We're good at keeping the ball against teams that pack their defence, but breaking them down is an issue, as it is for most teams, even the best. 

We've learned our lessons against physical teams after playing the likes of Cardiff in recent seasons and were much better at dealing with that. One of the main reasons for changing from 3-4-3 to 3-5-2 was to give us an extra body in midfield to stop Neves/Moutinho getting over-run. 

Our record against the bottom 6 is terrible but we've had some good results against teams who were in the bottom 6 at the time but now aren't, like West Ham A, Burnley H, Palace A. Learning to overcome the lower placed teams on a regular basis is something we'll need to do if we are serious about challenging the top 6.

It's interesting, the top teams can beat one another on any given day but the difference between them is strangely how consistent they are at beating lesser teams. Man City are the best at breaking down defensive units and thus been the dominant English team of last couple of seasons. It's becoming an increasing issue for any top 10 teams as the weaker teams all come to defend and you can't counter attack them, which Leicester are to blame for in many ways as we counter attacked oourway to the title and now teams are wise to how dangerous this tactic is.

With regards Wolves, if Nuno can sort that issue out I definitely think you could push the top 6 as you are ruthless when given any space to play into. And you have to be crazy to push forward when playing Wolves. Probably the best pure counter attacking side in PL now (we're up there too)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Genuinely baffles me how anyone couldn't rate Eddie Howe. Look at Bournemouths squad and the players he won the Champ with and then stayed up season after season in the PL with. To this day they have very few quality proven PL players and the ones they have made it at Bournemouth.

He's proven at Bournemouth, in the conditions and pressures they have. Good chance at another club he may fail, re his time at Burnley. Similar to Dyche with Burnley currently.

They're good managers within their current limits and are great at what they do, but knock them up a few tiers in terms of club size and would they manage to survive and succeed?

15 hours ago, Fox92 said:

And they finished higher than us. Howe really isn't that bad.

12 hours ago, StanSP said:

Brighton:

Bournemouth (H)
Cardiff (H)
Wolves (A)
Spurs (A)
Newcastle (H)
Arsenal (A)
Man City (H)

Cardiff:
Burnley (A)
Brighton (A)
Liverpool (H)
Fulham (A)
Palace (H)
Man Utd (A)

One less game for Cardiff and I'd say Brighton are a bit more well-equipped to stay in this league when it comes to calibre of players (on paper).

Brighton's next two are huge for them. Cardiff have a lot to do in very little time to avoid relegation...

Cardiff simply HAVE to beat Burnley and Brighton in their next 2 games. If they can do that the escape is on. If they don't win either of those 2 games then we may not see Cardiff in the Prem again for a long time. 

Leaving aside my own opinions on his ability, I wonder if anyone thinks Eddie Howe might walk away at the end of the season?

I don't think they've got the balls to sack him, but he's had 4 seasons to learn how to organise a defence in the Premier League and still not cracked it! That used to be okay, but they're not even scoring many now so it's leading to real losing streaks. 

Yes... given the 12,000 capacity etc, it's amazing they're even in the Prem. But it's often forgotten the absolute criminal amount they have spent on bang average players. 

Also been far too loyal to some of that defence that are definitely regressing in quality.

Worst bit for me this season is signing Mepham and sticking him straight in. During this run he must have been responsible for 10 or 11 goals! He's a young lad who needed easing in to the Prem.

Interesting one, they could probably always manage to finish above the relegation zone if they keep him, but when do you make the decision that you want to take a risk and try and push in to the mini league we are in? Or try your hardest to win a cup?

And equally for him, when does he take the risk and try and look for a new challenge?