Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

3 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

I despise Spurs but both calls were correct. Fancy Ajax to beat them though. Spurs winning the CL is unthinkable 

Spurs will beat Ajax....They have found their bottle. The squad & fringe players,can show their supporters,it's not all about media-player-love ins....

they have some decent players,that can put in good performances...& Now a CL-semi-final. Bust your gut time....Kane,Ali,etc might not be  the  sort after Players next season!!! Though Son's 1 game ban ,could be more a deciding factor....

All the over-zealous media Spurs bias,I really don't like but........I like Poch,I like the way Spurs play,and they have been splitting the real big 5,for a few seasons now..!!!     I reckon there is more honesty in Spurs football ethos than many...

L'pool like Spurs ,the pundits bias is well OTT,but for both clubs,you can't put the pundits team hype,onto the present  playing squads.

Both clubs have great traditions at the high level,since before the PL,and now during these last few years.

We can be envious,and bring in the cynical-moaning,and show our lack of respect & boring side of fans who would still love to be in their shoes....Both clubs,like ours or any other,have great fan-bases, plus a minority of morans and cretins & the usual typical grumpies...young & old.

I believe the real football fan,doesn't have fisherwives-agendas.   Yesterday was a great game & a great European night for the  English PL teams to show their good & best qualities....from 4 EPL quarter finalist, 3 delivered great footballing quality.

Man.city failed again, missing again the extra sliver of quality and know-how, how to get "their" game to a top European consistent level.....Are they this eras...Leeds utd.!!! :dunno:

Their city neigbour united,are well off the other 3s squad & individual quality..

Yesterday was about sitting back and enjoying and hoping for a top European football night,both evenings delivered.

I can't be bothered to go on this or any other forum,and look for apathetic reasons to nag on and on,over dislike for other teams...

Any of the four semi-finalists,will have their own hard-grind and or romantic story lines ...I look forward to this season's end chapter to see if we can be witnessing the start or continuance of an old or new era footballing power.   Or even just a one off..!!

Spurs again is the odd one out,the other 3 have had Europe on their knees, producing great  sovereign eras of their own!!!

Good luck to all of them,and let the best VAR decision be your friend when it counts..!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Speaking to the spurs fella here who was there last night and he likened the reaction of the spurs fans to the award of the free kick for offside to a penalty save - so Newton is right - for every action there is an equal and opposite one !! 

But that's not what I mean.  

Yes sometimes VAR will go in your favour, sometimes not.

What I'm saying is that the spontaneity and joy will be lost or at least diminished for every goal as you will always have that little voice in your head asking you if it needs to be VAR checked.  A goal will never be instant again and never really stand for a few moments until the technology has been satisfied.

We will lose something important and quintessential from the game.

2 hours ago, murphy said:

But that's not what I mean.  

Yes sometimes VAR will go in your favour, sometimes not.

What I'm saying is that the spontaneity and joy will be lost or at least diminished for every goal as you will always have that little voice in your head asking you if it needs to be VAR checked.  A goal will never be instant again and never really stand for a few moments until the technology has been satisfied.

We will lose something important and quintessential from the game.

Could not agree more

i have always said I’m against it for this very reason

Until technology catches up so that linesman receive a buzzer to stick up their flag as the goal has gone in to indicate a review, I won’t be happy with it 

that said, with the majority of goals, you know that there may be an issue at the time - currently you glance towards the lino to see that his flag isn’t up. No flag - keep on celebrating..... there will be a chunk of goals where you will miss out on the whole enjoyment though for fear of the ref putting his finger in his ear .....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, murphy said:

I think it will be dreadful.  I'd prefer to live with the referees mistakes.

Consider the joy of scoring, the spontaneity of leaping in the air completely involuntarily and sometimes hugging a complete stranger.

That will be lost if we have to wait for VAR all the time.

People can't accept human error, though. Well, they can with players but not officials. You're going to have to accept VAR will lessen the impact of great moments in the quest for the correct decision. 

1 hour ago, Corky said:

People can't accept human error, though. Well, they can with players but not officials. You're going to have to accept VAR will lessen the impact of great moments in the quest for the correct decision. 

But great moments is what it's all about.    :(

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

But great moments is what it's all about.    :(

can see the flip side though, spurs scored 3 goals last night and effectively got to celebrate 5, the 3 they scored, the VAR giving llorentes goal 3 minutes later and then the disallowing of the winner. 

so really we got more “scenes” than we would do normally? 

Asking the impossible....I know!!

But with VAR,it would be great if fans showed patience,more importantly the authorities support match officials....

And Players don't keep asking for it,at every turn.

The match officials,should still see through 85-90% of goal & offside descisions.Penalties have always been tough to call.

I actually don't believe in yellow cards for majority of fouls.Unless it's either blatantly reckless,cheating or downright dangerous.

Free kicks & penalties,is punishment enough...unless one of the above.

Aggressively surrounding the ref,besides captain queries,all players spotted on VAR,during incident or after the game,receive automatic yellow.

Plus manager receives warning ,and also yellow/red.Then heavy fine after first season  offence!!! If team have history in going OTT with groups aggression

towards officials 3-4 times,then the Manager should receive 1-2 match ban from stadium...Club fine!!!

It's also time to stop defenders holding with arms or pushing in the penalty area....!!! It's cheating that's being totally ignored!!!

10 hours ago, murphy said:

I think it will be dreadful.  I'd prefer to live with the referees mistakes.

Consider the joy of scoring, the spontaneity of leaping in the air completely involuntarily and sometimes hugging a complete stranger.

That will be lost if we have to wait for VAR all the time.

I think I’m kind of in agreement. 

VAR will get most things right, I’m sure, but at the expense of exactly what you’ve just said.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Following Man City's disallowed goal last night, will players (and fans) simply not bother to initially celebrate any goal, for fear that the dreaded VAR system will find some stupid reason to disallow it?

Nah, natural reaction is to celebrate, for me.

And it won't be 'finding a stupid reason' to disallow it, really, will it? It's quite obviously only for offsides or handballs. Not exactly gonna look at VAR and then just think of another reason on the spot to disallow it.

so i have justread that in protest of the social media  and football authorities handling of racist incidents, premier league footballers are abstaining from social media for 24 hrs. 

i’m all for stamping out racist incidents but How pretencious of them.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MPH said:

so i have justread that in protest of the media handling of racist incidents, premier league footballers are abstaining from social media for 24 hrs. 

i’m all for stamping out racist incidents but How pretencious of them.

Why? Any awareness is good awareness no matter how "pretentious" it is

7 minutes ago, kingston_fox said:

Why? Any awareness is good awareness no matter how "pretentious" it is

oh come off it. Troy Deeney not being on twitter for a whole day is hardly going to change the ways of johnny Racist..

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MPH said:

oh come off it. Troy Deeney not being on twitter for a whole day is hardly going to change the ways of johnny Racist..

It’s not about them being off it for a day. It’s about the initial post announcing the protest. ? and believe me, if sponsors start to think that their prized assets with millions of followers are willing to go dark for a few days they’ll make the FA do something drastic in no time at all! 

Good of the PFA to get involved and with my marketing head on a very quickly, well executed and well coordinated campaign with a clear message 

On 17/04/2019 at 22:33, fuchsntf said:

Another...who has more glee looking at the negative twists,instead of the positive delivery..

Mate just give it a ****ing rest. Rivalry exists, especially in football. You just enjoy what you want to enjoy and let everybody else enjoy what they want to enjoy. If people want to stick the boot in to other teams, that’s fine, it’s just part of modern football. They’re not hurting anyone. 

Live and let bastard live for Christ sake 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, kingston_fox said:

Haha... But there you are talking about it. I rest my case

yes. you’re right. because i mentioned the absurdity of it, racism has stopped. or at least been derailed.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It’s not about them being off it for a day. It’s about the initial post announcing the protest. ? and believe me, if sponsors start to think that their prized assets with millions of followers are willing to go dark for a few days they’ll make the FA do something drastic in no time at all! 

Good of the PFA to get involved and with my marketing head on a very quickly, well executed and well coordinated campaign with a clear message 

If they were to walk off the pitch, i feel like a lot more would be achieved than walking off of twitter. no one is going to care if Troy Deeney doesn’t tweet for a day.But if games start getting abandoned can you think of the effect that would have?

you can  bet your bottom dollar the sponsors would take note of that.

Edited by MPH

8 hours ago, MPH said:

yes. you’re right. because i mentioned the absurdity of it, racism has stopped. or at least been derailed.

Still don't get why it's absurd? Isn't it quite simple? 

Gammon racist fans led by the gammon racist media have normalised racism and only through awareness and publicity do the players have a chance to teach the kids that it isn't acceptable and change the tide of opinion.