Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

39 minutes ago, TK95 said:

VAR could be an absolute leveller next season for the rest of the league. The amount of decisions the big clubs get over the course of a season is ridiculous

I think it will be dreadful.  I'd prefer to live with the referees mistakes.

Consider the joy of scoring, the spontaneity of leaping in the air completely involuntarily and sometimes hugging a complete stranger.

That will be lost if we have to wait for VAR all the time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, murphy said:

Consider the joy of scoring, the spontaneity of leaping in the air completely involuntarily and sometimes hugging a complete stranger.

They will be a lesson in the next five years that our relationship with sport is not scientific but it's about passion. 

52 minutes ago, murphy said:

Speaking to the spurs fella here who was there last night and he likened the reaction of the spurs fans to the award of the free kick for offside to a penalty save - so Newton is right - for every action there is an equal and opposite one !! 

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

Llorente has signed a 5 year deal with the Harlem Globetrotters this morning!.. 

Aguero was 3 yards onside!!!... 

Ajax to take them to the 'cleaners' in the Semis. 

That's simply not true and you know it. Your bias against Spurs (I don't like them) is making you see things that didn't happen.

I don't understand why people are harping so much on VAR. This is a new technology and it will take time to be fully effective. That said, Llorente's goal could've gone either way but the second is a clear offside and correctly ruled out. But all in all, you can't concede 3 goals at home, two of them being gifts, and hope to go far in this competition. Manchester City can only blame themselves. 

Edited by That_Dude
  • Haha 1

In all the excitement of last night, I completely missed the fact Man City and Spurs play each other in the league this week. That's going to be a really interesting one... could Spurs derail their chance of both Champions League and the Premiership in the space of four days... 

2 hours ago, TK95 said:

VAR could be an absolute leveller next season for the rest of the league. The amount of decisions the big clubs get over the course of a season is ridiculous

Absolutely this plus the fact the refs won’t give contentious decisions to the big boys in the future so much for fear of looking stupid when VAR overturns.

• Like 1

Read a thing recently (can't find the link) where they have been amending the results of games and keeping a VAR league table as they have been using VAR 'offline' on all games this season before it coming in proper next season.  Would be interesting to see if there is any significant variation in the league table.  Doubt we'll ever see it either due to the furore if it affected relegation, european qualification, etc, etc.

7 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

Absolutely this plus the fact the refs won’t give contentious decisions to the big boys in the future so much for fear of looking stupid when VAR overturns.

But the 50/50s like Spurs 'handball' will go the way of the 'big' teams you can bet.

9 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Read a thing recently (can't find the link) where they have been amending the results of games and keeping a VAR league table as they have been using VAR 'offline' on all games this season before it coming in proper next season.  Would be interesting to see if there is any significant variation in the league table.  Doubt we'll ever see it either due to the furore if it affected relegation, european qualification, etc, etc.

Wouldn't quite be true to form, as an early penalty/goal/sending off etc can completely change the outlook of a game, so without it actually playing out it's impossible to say how it would affect the league table. Take the Southampton home game - suppose their first goal had been ruled out by VAR for whatever reason, then they couldn't have sat back as much as they did and we might have been able to break them down. Instead they went ultra-defensive and held on.

It'd still be very interesting if they released a list of all the decisions which would have been overturned though, as well as a nice breakdown of which officials were involved and which teams benefitted/suffered from the lack of VAR. I imagine the outcome would be somewhat skewed towards certain teams and certain officials... Won't happen, but would love to see it.

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Wouldn't quite be true to form, as an early penalty/goal/sending off etc can completely change the outlook of a game, so without it actually playing out it's impossible to say how it would affect the league table. Take the Southampton home game - suppose their first goal had been ruled out by VAR for whatever reason, then they couldn't have sat back as much as they did and we might have been able to break them down. Instead they went ultra-defensive and held on.

It'd still be very interesting if they released a list of all the decisions which would have been overturned though, as well as a nice breakdown of which officials were involved and which teams benefitted/suffered from the lack of VAR. I imagine the outcome would be somewhat skewed towards certain teams and certain officials... Won't happen, but would love to see it.

Yeah I get the intangible aspect of it, I'm talking purely from a statistical point of view, there's no way you can factor in the former.

22 minutes ago, Xen said:

The data you are asking about has been done in Italy and they still find a bias towards the bigger teams. 

52 minutes ago, davieG said:

But the 50/50s like Spurs 'handball' will go the way of the 'big' teams you can bet.

I wouldn't call that 50/50 but either way. If there is a 50/50 call and the officials are unsure, I think they should always stick with the original decision.

I like how in rugby the referee dictates the approach to review a decision by the way he phrases the question to the video referee. For example, "Any reason I cannot award a try?", in which case the video ref has to prove it. If he can't, then the try is given.

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

In all the excitement of last night, I completely missed the fact Man City and Spurs play each other in the league this week. That's going to be a really interesting one... could Spurs derail their chance of both Champions League and the Premiership in the space of four days... 

In some aspects i'd love that and find it quite funny, I don't like the way Man City/Guardiola go about their business buying up the market simply so other teams can't have the players (Other clubs have done this in the past, it's nothing new however Man City are taking it to another level) but then I remember that'd mean Liverpool would win the league and that is even worse given their holier than thou, insufferable fans.

I don't want either to win the league but Man City is the lesser of two evils.

On the VAR note I don't really agree with it but I keep saying hopefully it'll be a leveller and it'll be the end of the big team bias but i'm skeptical. It all remains to be seen but for the reason I think they'll still find ways to favour the big teams I think the introduction could be bad for the game at all angles.

Edited by Matt

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I wouldn't call that 50/50 but either way. If there is a 50/50 call and the officials are unsure, I think they should always stick with the original decision.

I like how in rugby the referee dictates the approach to review a decision by the way he phrases the question to the video referee. For example, "Any reason I cannot award a try?", in which case the video ref has to prove it. If he can't, then the try is given.

The 50/50 was based on my perception of the number of people I've read saying it was or wasn't a handball certainly no where near unanimous.