Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Evans

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Amazing how many people think he's too old at 30 considering he's a centre half and the ones who think he's not good enough for us despite attracting actual bids and attention from Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal in the last few months.

I'd love to see Evans and Maguire team up together. Big Wes as third choice to see out his final year's contract and hopefully one of the academy lads is good enough to be upgraded to 4th choice centre back.

Problem with keeping Big Wes around, does he stay Captain? Do we really want him to be our 3rd choice and potentially starting most weeks if we have one injury? 

I'd prefer we convinced Drago to stay, probably only by offering him a decent deal if rumours he is unsure are true. 

I think this summer would be a perfect time for Wes to go get a final 3 year deal somewhere else, perhaps with a newly promoted team. 

I'm concerned if we keep Puel, then he will stay Capt and a starter, but even if Puel goes, it will take a brave manager to drop him and take his captaincy away straight away, which I personally think are both needed next season.

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Problem with keeping Big Wes around, does he stay Captain? Do we really want him to be our 3rd choice and potentially starting most weeks if we have one injury? 

I'd prefer we convinced Drago to stay, probably only by offering him a decent deal if rumours he is unsure are true. 

I think this summer would be a perfect time for Wes to go get a final 3 year deal somewhere else, perhaps with a newly promoted team. 

I'm concerned if we keep Puel, then he will stay Capt and a starter, but even if Puel goes, it will take a brave manager to drop him and take his captaincy away straight away, which I personally think are both needed next season.

I think we'll sign just one centre half for the first team this summer. I can't see Dragovic and Evans signing for one of them to be first reserve, they'd both want assurances that they're coming here intended to be first choice.

Morgan will be eased out and he should accept now he's approaching 35 it's a natural progression for a player of his age.

13 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I think we'll sign just one centre half for the first team this summer. I can't see Dragovic and Evans signing for one of them to be first reserve, they'd both want assurances that they're coming here intended to be first choice.

Morgan will be eased out and he should accept now he's approaching 35 it's a natural progression for a player of his age.

I think you're most likely right, I just believe that will be a mistake on our part. 

If we do sign just Evans, then I hope him and Maguire stay injury and suspension free, as relying on Morgan is far from ideal. 

I'd try keep Drago happy as possible with a better wage than he could get elsewhere. I would want 3 top CB's in my squad with a 4th being a talented youngster or even giving Amartey game time there in the cups etc. We also have the option of switching to 3 at the back too then.

We have to think bigger if we want to push the top 6 and Morgan as 3rd choice isn't that. 

Maybe I am being too optimistic, but I want players on the bench who are genuinely battling for a starting spot each week, rather than adequate cover! James and King come to mind in recent times for example. 

We have the resources now to have the calibre of players like Drago, Rondon etc on the bench genuinely pushing the starters! Keeping them happy is just something we then have to deal with, the same way the big boys deal with it! 

I'm just a bit fed up of the argument of having to keep everyone happy and so that's why we must settle for squad fillers who are adequate cover! 

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

We are losing Huth and Benny, which means we only have two permanent experienced CB's on our books. We absolutely need a couple of centre backs, even is one is a championship up and coming player

24 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We are losing Huth and Benny, which means we only have two permanent experienced CB's on our books. We absolutely need a couple of centre backs, even is one is a championship up and coming player

No European football next season so the squad can afford to be trimmed down a bit.

I believe we'll sign a new CB to partner Maguire.

Third choice will be Morgan.

Benalouane is contracted for another year so 4th choice will either be him, Amartey or one of the academy lads IMO.

I'm not saying another centre half would be overkill, far from it but I don't think it's essential.

6 minutes ago, Gerard said:

No European football next season so the squad can afford to be trimmed down a bit.

Benalouane is contracted for another year so 4th choice will either be him, Amartey or one of the academy lads IMO.

I'm not saying another centre half would be overkill, far from it but I don't think it's essential.

Oh FFS... who the hell gave him a four year contract.

One injury to a starter then and you could have Wes or Benny playing for half a season. I don't like that option.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

Definitely need 2 centre backs for me, assuming Puel doesn't promote Hughes or someone from the academy. If we signed Evans we should be looking at young-ish centre back option from abroad who might be relatively cheap. Don't want to be spending ridiculously on someone like Ben Gibson who might not be first choice if we signed Evans too.

22 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Definitely need 2 centre backs for me, assuming Puel doesn't promote Hughes or someone from the academy. If we signed Evans we should be looking at young-ish centre back option from abroad who might be relatively cheap. Don't want to be spending ridiculously on someone like Ben Gibson who might not be first choice if we signed Evans too.

Why do you assume Morgan wont be Starting next season?

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Was it you that said we didn't need to buy anyone in January?

2 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Was it you that said we didn't need to buy anyone in January?

I can't remember but I supported Puel's transfer policy in January.

I was in favour of him allowing the current squad to prove they could adapt to Puel's style of football and were worthy of a place in the squad as we were virtually safe.

He only bought in one young player for buttons as a player for the future and a player who with no doubt will get our money's worth with either appearances or sell for a profit.

Puel also tried to ship out players players who added little value to the squad in Slimani, Ulloa and King. Granted it was only loans but he'd have sold all three of them if we had decent offers.

It's the sign of a poor manager who can never spend enough money and Puel would rather keep his tinder dry and spend in the summer when there is better value to be had than panic buy in January for which I applaud him.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Why do you assume Morgan wont be Starting next season?

I love Wes, I've stood up for him against a tide of shit. But even I can see it's time we look for a long term replacement starter, it's just the natural way of things. Like it was with us replacing Huth. If we don't invest heavily in a new CB in the summer, then the people in charge are irresponsible!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I love Wes, I've stood up for him against a tide of shit. But even I can see it's time we look for a long term replacement starter, it's just the natural way of things. Like it was with us replacing Huth. If we don't invest heavily in a new CB in the summer, then the people in charge are irresponsible!

It's almost inconceivable that we don't buy a first team CB this summer.

We can't go into the season with Morgan and Maguire and Benalouane or Amartey as third choice.  If we did then we'd deserve everything that was coming to us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

I can't remember but I supported Puel's transfer policy in January.

I was in favour of him allowing the current squad to prove they could adapt to Puel's style of football and were worthy of a place in the squad as we were virtually safe.

He only bought in one young player for buttons as a player for the future and a player who with no doubt will get our money's worth with either appearances or sell for a profit.

Puel also tried to ship out players players who added little value to the squad in Slimani, Ulloa and King. Granted it was only loans but he'd have sold all three of them if we had decent offers.

It's the sign of a poor manager who can never spend enough money and Puel would rather keep his tinder dry and spend in the summer when there is better value to be had than panic buy in January for which I applaud him.

I think it was naive from Puel to think he could convert players like Simpson, Wes etc to his style and may have cost us 7th place and Europe.

A few signings were needed in January to support his style of football if he was insistent on not being flexible at all. 

I also think loaning out Slimani AND Ulloa was a mistake as we were left with no Plan B in attack and personally I would have kept one of them around.

People will make excuses for him about the January window being difficult but he arrived in October, so had time to assess the squad and then a full window to get players in to address some of our issues but he didn't. 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2018 at 23:48, Guest said:

Good player - can't see him at Arsenal or Man City as per the links earlier in the season, but think he'd fit in fairly well here. I seem to remember us spending £3m on an injury-prone 30-year-old centre back from a Premier League team fairly recently, and that turned out well enough.

You talking about the guy thats been injured for over a year?