Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

James Maddison Confirmed

54 minutes ago, Bert said:

Maybe it’s a different mind set for me. Try and be positive as much as possible. I know for a fact if I was out there I’d be thriving, pressure wouldn’t be an issue for me. 

Perhaps. 

You probably have to factor in many other things too - just because they're a footballer earning top whack and doing what they love, doesn't mean they wouldn't/shouldn't feel pressure. Perhaps it's the pressure to stay on top of their game consistently. Perhaps it's the pressure of thousands, millions of people watching your every step, criticising every decision good or bad that can play on a player's mind (not just Maddison). Maybe it's both/neither.

Might sound a bit generic but every player is different and reacts or responds differently to every scenario. May be easy to sit in the chair and say you'd be thriving and pressure wouldn't be an issue but until you were in that situation, it's all hypothetical. For any of us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Langston said:

By that logic you'd never be allowed to feel a bit downbeat knowing there are millions of people in the world worse off.

Everything is relative.

These guys have literally no worries in life. They have everything done for them. And I mean everything. 

57 minutes ago, Bert said:

These guys have literally no worries in life. They have everything done for them. And I mean everything. 

Wow.

You must have led a very lucky life to have never experienced any mental health issues in yourself or those close to you. Honestly Bert, I promise you you’re wrong. I’m surprised that given your apparent closeness to the club that you’ve not seen what pressure footballers are under. The pressure of huge expectation if they care at all for the club. And the pressure of huge strict controls on what they can and can’t do in the hours and hours of ‘rest’ in their lives to fill.

I’m not saying anyone should feel sorry for them. I’m not saying their life is harder than anyone else’s. But there is pressure in everything, and especially if your whole life builds up to 90 minutes a week, then there is pressure in that 90 minutes.

2 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Wow.

You must have led a very lucky life to have never experienced any mental health issues in yourself or those close to you. Honestly Bert, I promise you you’re wrong. I’m surprised that given your apparent closeness to the club that you’ve not seen what pressure footballers are under. The pressure of huge expectation if they care at all for the club. And the pressure of huge strict controls on what they can and can’t do in the hours and hours of ‘rest’ in their lives to fill.

I’m not saying anyone should feel sorry for them. I’m not saying their life is harder than anyone else’s. But there is pressure in everything, and especially if your whole life builds up to 90 minutes a week, then there is pressure in that 90 minutes.

How do you know I haven’t? I most certainly have. The pressure that these guys have to every day average joe isn’t even in the same bracket. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bert said:

How do you know I haven’t? I most certainly have. The pressure that these guys have to every day average joe isn’t even in the same bracket. 

Most average Joe do not have pressure from their work. A barman doesn't get nervous about pulling pints. 

They have a pressure to provide for their families if that's their position, but doing their job doesn't have as much pressure as playing infront of 30k people. 

• Like 1

He’s our most creative player by a million miles is continually dropped and played out of position and yes this has led to a drop in form. But still he’s heads and shoulders above any other player that continually replace him and fail to even achieve Maddison’s stats and influence on our game. 

As as much as Puel plays with youngsters and has been a great success in this respect - should be commended without hesitation for this - but he has mis managed Maddison IMO. As a young lad he needs his confidence and positive forward play encouraging, to play without fear and not worried about making mistakes. We did see the player we expected at the start of the season but that has been steadily sapped out of him and his confidence looks very low, he’s not the only player too. 

While the myopic keyboard warriors on here can’t connect the dots and seemingly feel Maddison is some kind of egotistical big head who isn’t as good as he thinks he is. Jesus wept. The premise that footballers can’t go through the same mental imbalances like the rest of us and they should accept it due to their privileged occupation is complete nonsense. The same people even ironically call out the booers (against Puel ;)) and highlight how stupid and counterproductive this is. 

Get behind the lad and know that if he ain’t gonna make it here he’ll no doubt go into to achieve elsewhere in spite of the boo boys. 

I hope with with a player like Tielemans alongside Wilf this may bring out the best in Maddison’s game, one can hope and try and be positive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

This is a bit naive. Pressure is a human reaction regardless of circumstance. Maddison as many other professional footballers have excelled at something. It’s very likely that they place a lot of pressure on themselves to do well. Most successful people have this issue. 

I would be more concerned if a footballer said he didn’t feel pressure to do well. As it could mean they’ve lost that drive to excel at their craft. 

A heart surgeon feels (immense) pressure I am sure but that’s not to say others in different walks of life don’t. Some of the most successful people you can find go sleepless nights striving to be better at what they do. Just because their job looks great or of less importance doesn’t mean it has less pressure associated with it. Maybe just a different kind. 

4 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Wow.

5 hours ago, StanSP said:

Eh?

Considering we have no or a very minimal insight in to their private life, that's a very wild assumption.

I'm guessing you'd say the same for Gary Speed and Clarke Carlisle? We have absolutely no idea what 'worries' a footballer may have, big or small.

You all know exactly what Bert meant.

• 2 weeks later...