Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

James Maddison Confirmed

14 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Demarai Gray actually did something good today, was involved in the build up that led to our goal. Did more than Chilwell did around the box with half the pitch time.

He performs much better on the right, like Albrighton performs much better on the left. But for some reason, 99% of the time under Puel they play on the other sides. Even last night not long after the goal Gray had moved back over to the left again.

Simply put he is being played out of position. He is best as a no.10 behind Vardy. He needs to be central to be most effective yet Puel continues to play him out wide. I watched alot of him at Norwich as have family involved with the club and everything went through him centrally, I can't understand why Puel does not play to people's strengths. This kid is special believe me.

• Haha 1

We’rd Not playing to his strengths, he needs to play either more central at the top of a midfield 3 or in the whole as a number 10 but with better ball playing footballers in the middle behind him. Our problem is the obsession with playing both Wilf and Mendy every week and they just don’t move the ball quick enough. If we can find Maddison earlier when he still has a bit of space he’ll be a real asset.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Simply put he is being played out of position. He is best as a no.10 behind Vardy. He needs to be central to be most effective yet Puel continues to play him out wide. I watched alot of him at Norwich as have family involved with the club and everything went through him centrally, I can't understand why Puel does not play to people's strengths. This kid is special believe me.

Yer,  but don't worry,  Puel knows what he is doing. 

It's all part of his long term plan you know! 

Yes his Instagram posts are rubbish and he's a pretty boy he does these stupid handshakes, but it's his first season in the Prem, in a new team, with new surroundings and he's only young, add in the fact he's our main source of creativity, and the lad deserves some slack and also some credit for his performances this year.

He does need to bulk up abit though and be a bit braver. His set pieces seem to have gone backwards as well, needs to really work on them again.

2 hours ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Being played out of position doesn’t affect your inability to take a corner or free kick. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lesta Legend said:

Stat seems fine, 23 shots yesterday....

We have good young players, would love to see them given a positive licence to express themselves going forward. One can hope :fc:

23 shots, what the fcuk? Barely any of them were clear cut chances. This is why stats can be shown to be a load of bollocks. Maddison's corners and free kicks were a disgrace yesterday and there were two tame headers from Maguire that wouldn't have gone in even if my Nan was in goal, who snuffed in 9 years ago. 

He's got potential. I wouldn't slate him for our lack of success from corners because we frequently field only 2-3 players over 6ft. 44 crosses went in yesterday and we met 6 of them, and not all of that was because the crosses were awful, or Vardy was awful for failing to outjump the CBs. We lack presence in the box in those situations.

Puel was premature in likening him to Hoddle, and the England call-up didn't help either because he's not done enough for that. And it's worth us reminding ourselves that his pedigree before joining us wasn't far off Barnes' pedigree now, in that he'd had a good year in the second tier and little more. That doesn't mean he won't become a great player, but it reminds us how quickly the media jump on the bandwagon when there's a new young creative English player on the scene.

I'd be critical of his selfishness - too many attacks end with his long range shots or darting runs into dead end streets. He doesn't do a great deal of the 'dirty work' in closing players down, or competing for and winning second balls, but some of that may be the manager telling him to conserve his energy.

And we often struggle physically in games when we play him alongside other less workmanlike attacking players (Gray, for instance. And neither would I be fooled by the fact that they looked decent together in the second half yesterday, because Soton dug in so deep that any creative player was going to get opportunities. Albrighton would have looked decent too over 45 mins where non-stop crossing was the order of the day).

Overall, I'd take the view that he's a work in progress who should be far from one of the first names on the team sheet. He needs game time, but if he's up against Albrighton (as poor as he was yesterday, he's had a good couple of months), Barnes and possibly Pereira, or if we're going to regularly limit ourselves to two AMs, then he'll have a fight on for his place. And that might be a good thing.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fox 4 Life said:

He is special but still finding his feet, he's still quite lightweight fairly easy to push off the ball but most of the time he hasn't been played out wide, in fact sometimes you can see Puel waving him forward as he comes too deep and sometimes is positionally nieve.  He at times is outsmarted by better defenders, it's a big step up from the Championship and his fitness too wasn't up to it when he first came. All this is entirely understandable as he's learning his trade. He's a brilliant young talent we're lucky to have. 

• Like 2