Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Belgium vs. England - The race for 3rd spot (14th of July)

3 minutes ago, brucey said:

I think he's avoiding picking Vardy because of his age. Developing the youth by giving them game time is probably the idea. Poor Vards though :(

That’s fine in the friendlies, but when the World Cup is at stake, it’s probably a better idea to pick the better players who are proven to score goals regularly and in big games, rather than players who will continually let you down.

England’s failure to take full advantage of the draw is their own fault.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BoyJones said:

Dier missed such an easy chance, I like L-C, but he can be so slow and decision making so bad - do they actually get coached to think as well as play? 

Can't see any hope for immediate future and I always look on the bright side. 

You don’t have any hope that the under 20s were world champions? 

The thing stopping us progressing is the Premier League and it’s must win ethos. Gotta get the likes of RLC playing week in, week out 

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Disgusting that Harry Kane has managed to get the golden boot after that showing. He’s cleaned up against the crap sides and then done nothing else for the whole tournament. He’s not world class, yet.

Golden boot has a huge history of this. Oleg Salenko smashed a load against Cameroon to get it in 1994 and Klose did against Saudi in 2002

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You don’t have any hope that the under 20s were world champions? 

The thing stopping us progressing is the Premier League and it’s must win ethos. Gotta get the likes of RLC playing week in, week out 

Agree. The likes of Neville, Dixon, Keane and Hoddle have both said it today so it's obvious a lot of people know where the problem is.

8 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I’m talking bigger picture.who did we beat to get to semi? What happened when we played the 2 good teams we faced in Belgium and Croatia? Why did our manager persist with an unfit out of form striker? Why are some players above being dropped no matter how poor they perform? We can’t paint over the cracks these are all serious and relevant points. Vardy scored 20 goals for Leicester last season, that’s mad yet he was used solely as a tick box exercise. He came on when the game was out of reach or the change would be superficial. 

Keep talking it is funny... we have made progress, we can’t help the Germans and spainish were more useless... it is a knockout tournament just as bad as those that claim all the big teams didn’t care in 15/16... 

1 minute ago, SpazticChicken said:

"We put the pressure on"

"We gave everything, can't fault the lads"

t.Spurs player

What I said the other day. We have one player in the squad (Young) who has won multiple titles and knows what it takes to win. 

Probably a good thing for you that a cold, clear light accurately showed the state of your side in a near-meaningless match. 

Going forward there may be less pressure to play "the usual suspects" which is always an issue for a national team.  You have great youth prospects and they should become a focus of your friendlies.

(Fourth isn't hideous from the perspective of seeing the USMNT fail to qualify from a joke confederation.)

Is there progress from being knockout the group stages in 2014 and losing to Iceland struggling to beat Russia, wales and Slovakia in 2016? 

A clear improvement giving Sweden topped a group with German and Mexico and knocked Italy out... talk sh*t if you like though 

• Like 2

Southgate really is impressing me less and less every match.

Why play players who failed to beat Croatia and who are mentally and physically tired for a game that means so little?

They were lethargic.

Sterling and Kane haven't looked like scoring for a while and didn't look like scoring today. Kane should never have been playing after his poor SF performance. Keeping him on after half time in that game and again today shows why Southgate's England will fail.

Stones looked great again today, Trippier god before he tired. Rashford at least put pressure on players.

2-0 to Belgium is not a bad score but the performance and the loss were disappointing. 

Stop looking for positives..From this game,there Were none.

Yes Belgium are the better squad,yes we had a decent Wcup....but

In this game in the 2nd half,I expected the young guns to have a go,and play with

premiership pace. Our 2 best players,Were defenders..Maguire and Trippier.

Lingaard,Rashford and Sterling,where was this blind faith of youth  have a go mentality,they have for their clubs.

This game,the Front 5 including subs were downright lazy in their attitude and going that extra yard.

We lost poorly today,because we didnt push or show desire....

Sorry but thats my opinion.

Again another tournament slips by,without our players playing to their Individual Premier League

performances and show of Character in their game style...At least have a go }try{  and drive forward

Try and take the Opposition on...We didnt attacking the space in Front of us,we Were simp!y not

Committed enough. It seems we Were content against Croatia and Belgium,to play the part of the

expected weaker team,instead of at least fighting to try and Prove otherwise.

Croatia attacked our Wings/Flanke, like I expected us to do.We Lacked basic football imagination.

It was how we lost,that disappointed me...

• Thanks 1

This tournament was about improvement over the last few years which were dark years, there is a clear improvement... no one is trying to claim we are the fourth best team in the world, just we have moved forward. Add in the youth success you can’t be telling me you shouldn’t be optimistic 

Kane's been plodding around for the last 2/3 games now having no influence on the games yet somehow stayed on the pitch.

We really lack any sort of creative midfielder or a midfielder that will drive forward with the ball and force defenders out of positions to create gaps. 

Belgium have De Bruyne, Dembele, Witsel etc they all drive forwards with the ball and make defenders commit and then pick off passes. Not to forget Hazard who drops deep to pick up the ball. 

Whereas we had Eric Dier who loves a sideways pass and rarely drives forward. That's the biggest difference! We move the ball so slowly up the pitch. I can't wait to see Phil Foden eventually break into this team. 

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

This tournament was about improvement over the last few years which were dark years, there is a clear improvement... no one is trying to claim we are the fourth best team in the world, just we have moved forward. Add in the youth success you can’t be telling me you shouldn’t be optimistic 

I'm proud of the effort. Everyone gave it all they had, but we're still a ways off the top tier of international nations both tactically and talent-wise.

• Like 2

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

But I think we also should be realistic and look what we did wrong too. There's certainly plenty of things we got to the semis despite doing not because of, and we shouldn't overlook them, or we won't improve. If we'd won that dead rubber v Belgium in the group's I can say with certainty we wouldn't have been semi finalists, and then what would the discussion be?

The efforts there, the togetherness is there, but some things still need to change. Manager needs to learn the importance of subs. He needs to learn how to balance his team. I can see a Rooney situation coming too, with players being undroppable no matter how poorly they play or how injured they are. We need to find some creativity too because we don't create anything in open play, and considering we had two of the leading scorers in the premier league in the squad that's not playing to our strengths, and playing quick players who just lose the ball all the time got us nowhere in reality. We need to keep the ball better to. Trippier can deliver a great ball but it's no good if we haven't built an attack in a way to actually get people in the box.

We've improved, but not lots. Don't let a semi final mask the clear faults this team needs to work on.

• Like 3