Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

12 hours ago, Hugo Sanchez said:

So the debate on Claudio/Pearson with who won us the league, have got it wrong. It was actually Holloway genius that took us down that resulted in us wining the premier league. 

Ian Holloway deserves the statue !!!

now you're being daft! but if we hadn't have got relegated things would have turned out differently ,but we did and as things turned out it was good for us or do you want to argue that point too?

19 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I understand that it his decision and that is not what concerns me, it is his comment to the press that could have an adverse affect on a young player.

Again I reiterate, I am not in the Puel Out club.

Fair enough. But how?

11 hours ago, elvisfmcfly said:

eh? whats happened since as proved it! we were heading towards being a poor established championship side like Ipswich or Reading at that point in time!

Instead we became a Division 1 side . Saying getting relegated to Division 1 was the best thing to happen to us is rediculos as it set us back even further . I can see what you are trying to say as in if we hadn't been relegated  then we may not have appointed Pearson but that’s  is all ifs and buts. We could have still appointed him in the Championship .  

23 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Instead we became a Division 1 side . Saying getting relegated to Division 1 was the best thing to happen to us is rediculos as it set us back even further . I can see what you are trying to say as in if we hadn't been relegated  then we may not have appointed Pearson but that’s  is all ifs and buts. We could have still appointed him in the Championship .  

Whatever ffs with how things turned out I wouldn’t change anything!  Arguing for the sake of it! Sometimes you got to step back before you go forwards. Kick up the arse we needed etc.

Edited by elvisfmcfly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, elvisfmcfly said:

To be fair,that was the best thing that could have happened to us,since then we haven’t looked back.We wouldn’t have won the premier league if that didn’t happen. 

Kind of agree with this.  The darkest hour is just before dawn as Mama Cass said.

Everything had to happen just so for us to win the league and everything leading up to it.  The butterfly effect.  

So thank you McLIntock, Pleat, Taylor, Akinbiyi, Dennis Wi... Well I draw the line at him, but you get the point.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, baldeagle said:

Getting relegated to Division 1 is the best thing that could have happened to us !!! I’m not sure about that . 

It made us have to have a clear out and start again and was the start of the wild ride we’ve been on since. Whilst he’s rubbish, it was still the best thing that could of happened at that time. 

It also also helped me get the greatest bit of revenge I could of asked for. 

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Other reports 

say struggled to get in the match and subbed after 70

also didn’t have usual high rating on who scored 

Looking at his stats on whoscored he got four shots away with three off target, second lowest touches, the two forwards had more touches than him and his pass completion was 75%. Stats only say so much though. He is often subbed off too - could be because of age/stamina or the fact he's a loanee. 

Edited by Foxxed

On 21/09/2018 at 16:51, gurru991 said:

I understand that it his decision and that is not what concerns me, it is his comment to the press that could have an adverse affect on a young player.

Again I reiterate, I am not in the Puel Out club.

I'm actually not the biggest Puel fan personally, but equally you could argue that mentioning Barnes' fine form and discussing a potential recall could be a fantastic motivator for a young player who is full of confidence right now. If he knows his manager is watching him closely and is considering bringing him back to play for the Leicester first team - surely every loanee's ambition? - then it could spur him on to even better performances. Especially when said manager has a track record of placing his trust in young players.

The worst case scenario for him is that he stays at West Brom to continue his development for the whole season, which can hardly be seen as a negative. If Puel decides not to recall him, I'm sure they will still have a positive conversation about his form and progress, and what's best for his development.

• Like 2

He's actually averaging less goals and assists than when he was at Barnsley I think, feels like it anyway. He's had so many near misses though so I'm sure there's more goals and assists around the corner. Can't wait for him to be back here next season.

I hope he stays at West Brom for the season, matures and improves. I see a lot of people on here getting well ahead of themselves. He returned from loan last season with high expectations and imo he wasn't even in the top 5 of our u23 side.

7 minutes ago, FIF said:

I hope he stays at West Brom for the season, matures and improves. I see a lot of people on here getting well ahead of themselves. He returned from loan last season with high expectations and imo he wasn't even in the top 5 of our u23 side.

Agreed. I would like to see him come Jan but he will play more games at WBA and continue to grow, + the thought of them getting excited thinking they could keep him is entertaining in itself. I  doubt they can!

Edited by Simoken

41 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's actually averaging less goals and assists than when he was at Barnsley I think, feels like it anyway. He's had so many near misses though so I'm sure there's more goals and assists around the corner. Can't wait for him to be back here next season.

Its exciting to think what Puel with his track record with youngsters can improve, I like how hes keeping a close eye on him and not just loaning just to forget.

8 hours ago, FIF said:

Not in the top 5 U23 players? hahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Not in the top 5 U23 players? hahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

Not in my opinion.

Hamza

Thomas

Knight

Hughes

and maybe a couple of others all had better seasons than him for the U23. I bet you can't even suggest a game where he looked our best player

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Not in my opinion.

Hamza

Thomas

Knight

Hughes

and maybe a couple of others all had better seasons than him for the U23. I bet you can't even suggest a game where he looked our best player

Not quite a fair comparison as Barnes only had half a season whereas the rest had a full season for the U23s. But..

https://www.premierleague.com/news/662053

Harvey Barnes has been named the Premier League 2 Player of the Month for March.

The attacking midfielder has been integral to Leicester City’s hopes of a Premier League 2 Division 1 and Premier League Cup double.

He scored twice and provided an assist in a 4-0 win over Liverpool that meant the Foxes replaced the Reds at the top of PL2 Division 1, where they remain with two matches remaining.

Judging on that half season I'd still say Hughes and maybe Knight were ahead of Barnes. Definitely not Thomas though.

• Like 2

Some of the legitimate concerns about Puel is the lack of movement and Barnes although not a defensive grafter does tend to find space very well. But I'd prefer to see him shine at West Brom for the season than recall in Jan but it really depends on how we're performing then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FIF said:

Not in my opinion.

Hamza

Thomas

Knight

Hughes

He only played about 5 or 6 times for our U23's and probably scored in every one of them. As someone just pointed out, he even got player of the month as well. All of the players you named had great seasons and were part of the U23's for pretty much all of the season but to say Barnes wasn't impressive is ridiculous, he barely played for a start as he was either on loan or in and around our first team.

• Like 1

Guest Cujek
On 22/09/2018 at 12:25, baldeagle said:

Getting related to league 1 was in hindsight one of the best things that could have happened to us at that time.

It gave us an opportunity to clear out all the garbage we had accumulated on the playing staff, we made some strong signings for league 1.

It gave the club a winning mentality, we all had a great season, some of the away days were fantastic, chesterfield really sticks in my memory!

It didn't set us back at all.

Imagine if we didn't get relegated. Holloway would have stayed another year, we would have been mid table at very best.

Who knows where we would be now, possibly still mid table championship 

14 hours ago, FIF said:

Not in my opinion.

Hamza

Thomas

Knight

Hughes

Spurs away.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He only played about 5 or 6 times for our U23's and probably scored in every one of them. As someone just pointed out, he even got player of the month as well. All of the players you named had great seasons and were part of the U23's for pretty much all of the season but to say Barnes wasn't impressive is ridiculous, he barely played for a start as he was either on loan or in and around our first team.

You’ve only got to see how Thomas is doing at Scunthorpe, to realise how far ahead Barnes is of him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I like you as a poster and you're a mod, so maybe you can get my limit lifted, so I don't want to get into back and forth too much here :D but this post sort of tells me you didn't really watch him and our U23s last season. He played 7 times in the PL2 for us scoring in 3 games (and an assist). he played twice in the FA cup and once in the EFl trophy without scoring (1 ass). I didn't follow many of his games in the championship but I see he appeared 23 times, scored 5 with 4 ass. He may have been voted potm in March but he only played 2 games (I think) scoring in 1.

You give an excuse as he barely played and was either on loan or around the first team - I'm not disagreeing, but if you think that is "impressive" then we have a different understanding of the word. I certainly don't think my opinion was ridiculous.

I like Barnes and think he'll turn into a decent player. I like that he's with West Brom in the championship and playing very well. I don't like the overhyped call for him to come back. He isn't good enough to lead our team as he maybe doing at West Brom. West Brom proved last year that they are not a Prem league quality side. 

and like you I watched a lot of the U23 games last year and personally I have Hamza, Hughes, Knight and Thomas above him on last year's games - probably Johnson too. This year he may have leapfrogged Thomas and Johnson but I haven't seen him in the same games.

I hope he's as good as some on here are saying but I'm just going with what I've seen, not what I've read.

14 minutes ago, FIF said:

I like you as a poster and you're a mod, so maybe you can get my limit lifted, so I don't want to get into back and forth too much here :D but this post sort of tells me you didn't really watch him and our U23s last season. He played 7 times in the PL2 for us scoring in 3 games (and an assist). he played twice in the FA cup and once in the EFl trophy without scoring (1 ass). I didn't follow many of his games in the championship but I see he appeared 23 times, scored 5 with 4 ass. He may have been voted potm in March but he only played 2 games (I think) scoring in 1.

You give an excuse as he barely played and was either on loan or around the first team - I'm not disagreeing, but if you think that is "impressive" then we have a different understanding of the word. I certainly don't think my opinion was ridiculous.

I like Barnes and think he'll turn into a decent player. I like that he's with West Brom in the championship and playing very well. I don't like the overhyped call for him to come back. He isn't good enough to lead our team as he maybe doing at West Brom. West Brom proved last year that they are not a Prem league quality side. 

and like you I watched a lot of the U23 games last year and personally I have Hamza, Hughes, Knight and Thomas above him on last year's games - probably Johnson too. This year he may have leapfrogged Thomas and Johnson but I haven't seen him in the same games.

I hope he's as good as some on here are saying but I'm just going with what I've seen, not what I've read.

I'll see if the ban can be lifted.

I watched a lot of our U23's last season and agree with the list of players who impressed, we had a good year and Thomas for the first half of the season was superb. Barnes barely played due to him being elsewhere, likewise Diabate barely played or other fringe players. I wouldn't consider them to not be impressive at U23 level. Look at the season before, Barnes was on fire for the U23's culminating in a call up against Porto in the Champions League and then went on loan to MK Don's where he did very well in his first taste of professional first team football.

MK Don's season finished earlier than ours and we tried to get him in the first team but weren't allowed, he played a couple more U23 games and his impact was night and day above any other player on the pitch. I think it was vs Spurs he scored twice and set another up and was a menace. 

Last season he was called back from Barnsley too early, it was a waste and I suspect he felt the same sitting in the stands and having to go back to U23 football here and there. The momentum was probably tested. He did himself no favours in the FA Cup games and I don't pretend he was PL ready last year, he seemed to be trying too hard when he got the chance to impress and seemed just too raw. However he showed at Championship level for a poor Barnsley side what he was about. He was averaging nearly a goal or assist every other game for a team near the relegation zone.

According to this he played 7 times for the U23's, scored 5 and assisted 1 in 600 mins of football. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/harvey-barnes/leistungsdaten/spieler/398065/plus/0?saison=2017

Probably stats comparable to any attack minded player at that level last year. It's quite clear he's the most talented academy player we've had come through since Chilwell, let's hope he continues to progress. He's in the right hands at West Brom and should stay all season, we don't need him back and if we do then I'd rather we get a short term loan in ourselves to compete for numbers if it means he barely plays again.

• Like 1