Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

10 hours ago, davieG said:

As good as this is let's no forget this is the Championship

Watched him since he was a kid.

For his own good and development he's better out the way at the moment playing exiting positive football.

Always focused on one thing and that's scoring, pretty essential to win games. Puel would have him play the ball sideways long enough for the opposition defence to prepare themselves

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Edingleyfox said:

Highlights from last night scored a superb goal and some brilliant runs/assists.9.5/10 in Birmingham Mail.

I know this is Championship but surely we could find a place in our squad which has midfield overload and limited options up front.Can we bring him back in January?

Hes gone on loan to develop, leave him there. Probably because we rate him our highest prospect. Then next year we  could have some player on our hands.

Edited by les-tah

8 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

For his own good and development he's better out the way at the moment playing exiting positive football.

rolling out that negative momentum i see. Lets just sack him and start allll over again, LCFC is becoming a roundabout churning the same tactics when things dont work out. Fans bitching and moaning FT classic.

Edited by Simoken
  • Like 4

Having watched the highlights, it's highly encouraging to see that his speed of thought appears to be a step ahead of the Championship. The ball for J-Rod was clever rather than a cut-back and the goal was a first time finish. 

It's clear he's confident because players without confidence, take an extra touch on his goal before shooting. 

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He's playing central attacking midfield now as part of a 3-4-1-2 system. 

Oh interesting, haven't seen anything of West Brom for a few weeks now tbf. They were playing 4-2-3-1 with Barnes and Phillips on the wings.

Suppose they're better off getting Gayle and Rodriguez in the same side.

15 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He's playing central attacking midfield now as part of a 3-4-1-2 system. 

So, pretty much where Maddison is playing - though Maddison is the centre of a 3, rather than on his own behind 2 strikers.  If we stuck with our current 4-2-3-1 system and played one (specific) wide player, we could accommodate HB (with him and/or Maddison going out wide when needed) - but only at the expense of Gray (he's never going to be the single winger).  On current form, I think Barnes would be ahead of Gray - even though he is only in the Championship, he clearly is top of his game.

Edited by bald reynard

21 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I'd expect Gray to rinse the Championship tbf.

No doubt he would do, look at those goals he's scored vs Derby and Sheffield Utd in the cup. Both of them were obscene. Barnes tried too hard to make an impression for us in the FA Cup games lasts eason and lost confidence, a full season being one of the brightest young talents in the whole league will do him the world of good. We have got a special player on our books and although I fully believe if he was here now and Puel put as much time and faith in to him as he has Chilwell and Gray in the first team then he'd be of some use to us but he'll gain a lot more for his all round game at West Brom this season. He'll likely win player of the year, goal of the season and could well break double figures for goals and assists. He'll get in the England U21 squad and he'll be raved about like no man's business, which set's him up nicely for next season back here.

• Like 4

Sometimes I wonder.

Gray is being chosen to play for a prem team, Barnes is being loaned to a championship team.

Gray is playing and scoring for England U21s. Barnes isn't selected.

Gray has made the bench for the full England team, Barnes isn't even in a conversation.

Yet FTers rate Barnes over Gray and want him to replce him asap.

Go figure.

Barnes looks a great prospect. Gray is more than that - the haters need to stop.

31 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I'd expect Gray to rinse the Championship tbf.

A football brain helps whatever league you're in though, he's not magically going to know when to pass or the best opportunity to shoot up just because against lesser players. He might get away with it a bit more but I highly doubt he would have the numbers Barnes does.

10 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

A football brain helps whatever league you're in though, he's not magically going to know when to pass or the best opportunity to shoot up just because against lesser players. He might get away with it a bit more but I highly doubt he would have the numbers Barnes does.

Whenever he plays in cup games againt lower league sides he is usually the best player on the pitch

Hasn't Barnes been playing in a 10 role all season so far? No point recalling him when we have Maddison and also second striker options to play off Vardy. 

He'll develop a lot better playing week in week out at West Brom than sitting on the bench waiting for Maddison to get subbed off. 

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

Get him back in January 

Wide options of two from Ghezzal, Albrighton, Gray and Barnes

No10 options of one of Maddison, Barnes and Okazaki

really quite appealing. Should suffice for a top 10 finish.

What we've got already should be enough for a top 10 finish. A 20-year old without any PL minutes isn't going to change that.

No point bringing him back midway through the seaon when he's developing well out on loan. He wouldn't get in the side in his best position unless Maddison was out for a prolonged time.

Leave him at WBA until the summer, then bring him back to replace Okazaki next season.

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not sure why people are trying to compare Gray and Barnes, when he player against lower level teams Gray rips them to bits every bit as much as Barnes currently seems to be doing.

Because a lot of FTers have a genuine dislike of Gray and want to knock him at every opportunity. I sometimes wonder if there is any racist element involved in that but then I remember they really disliked Ben Chillwell during the same period, perhaps it's ageism or they are simply a bit stupid. 

Friend is a STH at WBA. Says Barnes is streets ahead of anyone else at the club and week in week out is the best player on the pitch. Sounds like the reviews Maddison received last season whilst at Norwich. 

Of course Barnes could do it in the Premier League. No doubt about it for me. We’ve left ourselves pretty short of attacking options at Leicester so it is a tough call on who is better off with this arrangement? WBA? Leicester? Harvey Barnes? Hopefully long term it’s us but I feel he should be with us this season pushing for a first team spot. 

Just now, Dickov22 said:

Friend is a STH at WBA. Says Barnes is streets ahead of anyone else at the club and week in week out is the best player on the pitch. Sounds like the reviews Maddison received last season whilst at Norwich. 

Of course Barnes could do it in the Premier League. No doubt about it for me. We’ve left ourselves pretty short of attacking options at Leicester so it is a tough call on who is better off with this arrangement? WBA? Leicester? Harvey Barnes? Hopefully long term it’s us but I feel he should be with us this season pushing for a first team spot. 

His only issue is when WBA get pushed off the ball, he seems to drift out of play and can't get his foot on the ball. 

Don't see the point of him sitting on our bench or playing in the u23s when he's currently developing and ripping up the championship.