Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Oh interesting, haven't seen anything of West Brom for a few weeks now tbf. They were playing 4-2-3-1 with Barnes and Phillips on the wings.

Suppose they're better off getting Gayle and Rodriguez in the same side.

Barnes preferred position is No.10.  Recently moved into the 10 position for the Baggies and already showing why this is his best position.

10 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

His only issue is when WBA get pushed off the ball, he seems to drift out of play and can't get his foot on the ball. 

Don't see the point of him sitting on our bench or playing in the u23s when he's currently developing and ripping up the championship. 

The way some of our lads have performed this season I’m not sure he would be under 23s or sat on the bench. Gray, Iheanacho, Albrighton, Ghezzal - none have performed consistently well yet. 

1 minute ago, Dickov22 said:

The way some of our lads have performed this season I’m not sure he would be under 23s or sat on the bench. Gray, Iheanacho, Albrighton, Ghezzal - none have performed consistently well yet. 

Ah yes, Ghezzal whose played maybe 3 league games for us and scored once. Albrighton has been in and out too. Gray hasn't been bad, had a bad game the other day and Nacho has been in and out as well.

Still is getting basically 90 minutes each game for WBA and playing well, why recall him and ruin it whilst he's doing so well?

• Like 2

The Championship is the perfect place for him to be right now. Most importantly, he is starting every game for them and a full season in the Championship will really toughen him up, as he has often looked lightweight.

Excited for his return in the Summer, and after a full pre-season with us, I expect him to be in our first team squad and pushing Maddison for that no.10 role

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

The Championship is the perfect place for him to be right now. Most importantly, he is starting every game for them and a full season in the Championship will really toughen him up, as he has often looked lightweight.

Excited for his return in the Summer, and after a full pre-season with us, I expect him to be in our first team squad and pushing Maddison for that no.10 role

Totally agree. He's clearly got bag loads of talent but the Premier League is a physical one. This season Barnes can get used to the physical nature of the game and may well still be growing at his age.  Chilwell looks stronger and more powerful this year, so that could be some of the work they do with Harvey.

I imagine that behind the scenes at Leicester, the development team are delighted with his progress. He's not only playing every game, but also getting man of the match in most of them and in the seasonal best XI for the division. He's probably outperforming expectations and developing match experience. Also getting used to dealing with pressure of having to be the "main man" is also very important. One thing I really like about Maddison for example is that he's very confident and doesn't shirk responsibility on the pitch. 

Maddison cost 24M and it might be that we will be effectively signing a player with the same potential next year, expect he will cost zero and is already a Leicester fan :scarf:!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

If Maddison continues to perform and improve like I expect him to and gets into the England squad, it won't be too long before the big teams come calling.

If that happens, say in a couple of years, we may have the perfect replacement to step into his shoes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stadt said:

Demarai Gray and Harvey Barnes Championship stats comparison 

Gray 

51.38 -  90s Played

8 Goals

2 Assists

Barnes

22.91 - 90s Played

8 Goals

6 Assists 

Highlights

https://www.skysports.com/efl/championship/video/11501892/west-brom-4-2-bristol-city

The lad is superb

Goosebumps when Rodriguesz scores and runs pointing at Barnes.

The comparisons with Gray now, Gray playing for Birmingham and Barnes playing for Barnsley and West Brom are pointless.

They are both our players. They aren't in competition for positions.

• Like 2

He looks awesome in that clip. WBA's best player, which is quite a feat at his age and only a handful of games in. The Championship is not an easy league either and he really is shining already.

There doesn't seem to be anything remarkable about him, in terms of speed, strength or flair - but his reading of the game and decision making look top notch and especially for someone his age. 

Very exciting to have such a talented player and I can't wait to see him play for us next season. 

17 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

He looks awesome in that clip. WBA's best player, which is quite a feat at his age and only a handful of games in. The Championship is not an easy league either and he really is shining already.

There doesn't seem to be anything remarkable about him, in terms of speed, strength or flair - but his reading of the game and decision making look top notch and especially for someone his age. 

Very exciting to have such a talented player and I can't wait to see him play for us next season. 

Are we going to rotate Maddison? Or play him outside the position that he's currently making his own? I half think we should recall him in January and loan him to a team who'll effectively play him on the wing.

It's very impressive seeing him flow so easily and effortlessly with the ball in close contact. He obviously feels at home there and his confidence must be high. I hope that at the end of the season he wants to return to us, and not stay with them, as if they go up they're almost certain to want to keep hold of him if this form continues. 

11 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Are we going to rotate Maddison? Or play him outside the position that he's currently making his own? I half think we should recall him in January and loan him to a team who'll effectively play him on the wing.

I think as well as he is doing so far this season, I still expect him to be slowly integrated into the team next season. I'd expect him to make our bench and be cover for Maddison initially in that role behind the striker(s). He'd likely get a number of appearances from the bench and also some full cup games, with the odd start in the league here and there if Maddison is injured or suspended. 

I guess it all depends on how well he does over the full season at WBA. If he does continue at this pace, then I suppose we should really consider a starting place for him in our 11 and somehow fit him in alongside Maddison in a slightly wider role, which he might very capable at playing. 

Too early to say yet, but it's a good headache to have.

In terms of recalling him in January - I'd be less keen on, but it's definitely an option if Gray and/or Ghezzal don't perform well. No point having a player out on loan banging goals in and racking up assists, if we are struggling ourselves. 

Edited by STUHILL

7 minutes ago, Al-aLondon-Foxile said:

It's very impressive seeing him flow so easily and effortlessly with the ball in close contact. He obviously feels at home there and his confidence must be high. I hope that at the end of the season he wants to return to us, and not stay with them, as if they go up they're almost certain to want to keep hold of him if this form continues. 

He signed a new long-term contract with us just before he joined them, so we would have to be willing to sell him, which I don't think we would. 

58 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I have noticed a remarkable change in how direct he is with the ball now he's in the number 10 role. Previously when I saw him, he seemed to take a few extra touches out wide as he decided what to do with it. He's now floating about all over the place behind the strikers but seems a lot more confident in what he wants to do, as someone has mentioned it how he drives forward with the ball is De Bruyne-esque.

36 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Let's not forget that Maddison is going to be like gold dust and I'd be amazed if we aren't having to bat off bids of £50m or more within the next 18 months, he's hugely ambitious too and could see him wanting to move clubs quite quickly. Therefore, if Barnes is now playing and excelling in his natural role at number 10 then this is ideal for us. I also think both he and Maddison could operate behind Vardy in a 3-4-2-1 formation but that would be far too dynamic for Puel.

• Like 2

West Brom is such a great move for him. They have a squad full of players who have been premiership players for years, the fact he is proving to be a class above them is a real reason to get excited. The issue is where does he fit in with us? 

Hoping he is a Chillwell and not a Lawrence. 

• Like 1