Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

Scored 5 in 23 for a struggling Barnsley last season. Already got 4 in 11 with West Brom who are doing well, a full season in team at top with pressure to play well and win every week will do him the world of good! No need to recall unless we have injuries that are long term. 

12/15 goals this season if he stays at West Brom all season. 

• Like 1

West Brom boss Darren Moore backs starlet Harvey Barnes for England

Boss Darren Moore has backed Albion loan sensation Harvey Barnes to become a future England star.

The 20-year-old playmaker scored a stunning equaliser for the Baggies at Sheffield Wednesday, on Wednesday night.

He has now netted four times – all exceptional finishes – since joining from Leicester for the season and is expected to receive his first call-up for the Three Lions’ under-21s on Friday.

Barnes has previously represented England at U18 and U20 level.

“He’s got the right ingredients,” said Moore, when asked if he has the tools to become a regular in the senior side.

“There’s aspects of his game he still needs to develop and still needs to work on – and he is.

“He gets the highlights with all the goals he’s scoring and he’s a talented individual. If he keeps on the road that he’s on now, I don’t see why he can’t be a full international and play lots of games for his country.

“Harvey has scored some wonderful goals and long may it continue, putting the ball in the back of the net.”

The Foxes do have an option to recall Barnes in January.

Moore admits Albion would be powerless to deny him going back, should Leicester wish to cut his loan short.

But he is focusing on the here and now.

“There’s nothing we can do. He’s on loan from Leicester and we’re delighted to have him here, the boy is enjoying his football,” said Moore. “When the situation comes then we’ll approach it with Leicester.

“But there’s lots of games to play before then and we’ll just focus on them.

“We’ll see when the point comes. We’re really pleased to have him here.

“Harvey is developing very, very well here at West Brom and will continue to do so.

“There are aspects of his game that he wants to get stronger and better – and there are aspects of his game where he is absolutely sublime.”

Moore added: “He’s grabbed the bull by the horns and taken his performances on to another level.

“He’s still developing but he’s showing a maturity to his game, for someone so young.”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/10/04/west-brom-boss-darren-moore-backs-starlet-harvey-barnes-for-england/

• Thanks 1

Barring an absolute disaster (e.g. a long term injury to Maddison) I'd leave him there for the season. He's playing well and obviously enjoying himself. He's never had a proper full season at one team as far as I'm aware so a full season starting in a successful team ought to do him the world of good. If he's in double figures by January it's obviously tempting but all it takes is one or two below par games for us and then he's back in the U23s for 6 months.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tuna said:

I think it would be best for his development if he sees the season through with West Brom, and we get a player next season who is more experienced and hungry to succeed.

I think the experience of being a promotion chasing team at the business end of the season is really important. 

A recall also like to lead into resentment as he wouldn’t immediately be chosen to play for us 

16 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Arsenal scouts have been watching Barnes closely in recent games! Could make things very interesting for the lad in January window if he keeps performing well at West Brom....

Good thing for us is how much Barnes wants to make it here. The flip side is to buy him, Arsenal would have to pay a fortune for a player who's only played a handful of minutes at Premier League level.

39 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

He's a Leicester fan right?

So he'll be buzzing to play for us and won't ask to leave even if WBA get promoted?

He can ask all he wants, if Mahrez and Maguire can't get out of here he's go absolutely no chance.

• Like 4

He grew up in Countesthorpe, supports Leicester, used to go to home games until he was loaned out.

Surely wants to play for the first team here but I bet he wants to keep ripping up trees with the Baggies for the season.

I hope we're in a position where we don't need him in Jan.

• Like 1

Stay on loan: YES

Stay at WBA: Hmmmm is it not worth seeing him in the Premier League for six months? To see if he could start next season? He’d be great for a Huddersfield or Newcastle to help keep them up? Would be a great experience too and I don’t think being involved in potentially getting relegated would affect him too much as he will just be happy getting Premier League minutes 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Stay at WBA: Hmmmm is it not worth seeing him in the Premier League for six months? To see if he could start next season? He’d be great for a Huddersfield or Newcastle to help keep them up? Would be a great experience too and I don’t think being involved in potentially getting relegated would affect him too much as he will just be happy getting Premier League minutes 

IMO, he's better off seeing the season out at WBA and pushing for promotion. He's doing well at Championship level for a decent team with a manager who is giving him opportunities. If he went to a relegation-battling side I can't see him getting nearly as much opportunity.

Think about it, if you were Benitez/Wagner/Warnock, knowing your job is at risk and throwing everything you can at trying to stay up, would you really contemplate sending out the teenager with no premier league experience in the hope he can rescue you? Not a chance.

Whereas at WBA, he'll be a key part of their success, and either be heavily involved in a promotion push or, if they achieve that early on, he can be played more freely without any risk.

He could do with getting PL experience at some point, yes. But I wouldn't be surprised if that came in the form of another, 6-month loan NEXT season, going back to WBA if they come up. We'll have Maddison playing in Barnes' position, so let him carry on with WBA to get that experience and then he can come back here just about ready for mid-table/top-half PL as an understudy with a view to a first XI spot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Problem is he could quickly find himself on the bench or not in the squad and in a losing demotivated team.

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

As much as I agree that getting Premier league experience would be beneficial I don't think either of those teams would suit him. 

Neither of those teams score many goals or have created much at all in their matches so far! I think between them they have only scored 7 goals all season whereas at West Brom they're creating chances for fun and nearly hit 30 goals already. 

17 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

as if a wednesday player didn't just hack him down on that run in the 86th minute ffs.

i'd be fuming if we were 2-1 up and we just let someone run that far and get a shot off. 

slice him down and take a yellow. it's the beautiful game. 

Don't rewatch the imfamous Watford game then.:ph34r:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

as if a wednesday player didn't just hack him down on that run in the 86th minute ffs.

i'd be fuming if we were 2-1 up and we just let someone run that far and get a shot off. 

slice him down and take a yellow. it's the beautiful game. 

They needlessly gave the ball away in the final 3rd too before the goal. Reminds of how infuriating the championship was when we were in it as most teams had a case for ifs, buts and maybes during the season.

• Like 1