Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

1 minute ago, brucey said:

Does sound like it. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if West Brom intentionally plays him tomorrow to get him cup tied and reduce our incentive to take him back...

I thought the same, would guess we’ve told them not too so if they do we’d probably pull the trigger out of spite, whereas we might wait until the end of Jan otherwise

Edited by Mehrez

2 minutes ago, brucey said:

Does sound like it. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if West Brom intentionally plays him tomorrow to get him cup tied and reduce our incentive to take him back...

it is very often written into loans that they can not play in cup games for this very reason. some times it’s allowed but either way, i don’t think it would Be West Broms decision

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

it is very often written into loans that they can not play in cup games for this very reason. some times it’s allowed but either way, i don’t think it would Be West Broms decision

Correct - that’s quite common however he did play in the EFL Cup (Caraboa) but depends if the contract is that specific

Puel hinting that he wants to recall Barnes, but also adds that he hopes he doesn't play tomorrow and become cup-tied.

Why are we leaving these things to chance. We hold the cards, so you either a) put a clause in the deal to say he can't play in the FA Cup or b) recall him before the third round. We've done neither. 

Fully expect West Brom to play him tomorrow now in an attempt to reduce our incentive of a recall. All seems very amateur on our part.

In between wanting to recall and not.

For us: we get a player whose in confidence and could be the attacking player we need to help unlock defences. He's also a Leicester lad so would put his all in.

The cons: he's playing brilliantly for WBA, regular game time and is clearly loving his football. He may just be a bench player for us which would be a shame. If he isn't gonna be played regularly he shouldn't be recalled  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brucey said:

Does sound like it. 

Would we ever loan them a player again if they do that?

(I've just realised I'm treating West Brom as a team that should be grateful we're loaning them our academy players. Christ. I never thought we'd leave the Championship seven years ago)

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, EverybodyDannsNow said:

Puel hinting that he wants to recall Barnes, but also adds that he hopes he doesn't play tomorrow and become cup-tied.

Why are we leaving these things to chance. We hold the cards, so you either a) put a clause in the deal to say he can't play in the FA Cup or b) recall him before the third round. We've done neither. 

Fully expect West Brom to play him tomorrow now in an attempt to reduce our incentive of a recall. All seems very amateur on our part.

He'll have been told what he can and can't say. The agreement will be known in private and the two clubs will know what they've agreed. 

WBA won't want to jeopardise keeping Barnes 

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

He'll have been told what he can and can't say. The agreement will be known in private and the two clubs will know what they've agreed. 

WBA won't want to jeopardise keeping Barnes 

I just find Puel's comments strange - we should be calling the shots, not 'hoping' things do or don't happen. 

Understand your point though and hope that is the case.

“He is a player from the Academy with good attributes and qualities. I appreciate the character from him in the first half of the season.

“He showed a good clinical edge, and we’ve had a problem with this.

“If we take the decision for him to come back it will be for him to give us more possibilities

“I don’t know exactly [when a decision will be made]. We have to look at the balance in our squad and look at the positives and negatives about him coming back.

“I think it will be more positive.”

^ Some of Puel's comments. I like the comment in bold because we all know it's true, but it's further confirmation the manager sees it too and that our lack of cut and thrust isn't intentional. We know we are a solid team but don't really cause teams that setup defensively anywhere near enough problems.

• Like 3

Just now, EverybodyDannsNow said:

I just find Puel's comments strange - we should be calling the shots, not 'hoping' things do or don't happen. 

Understand your point though and hope that is the case.

There's only so much he can say, as has been said on other threads he isn't a "centre stage" type of guy and wouldnt rant and rave to the public. 

WBA will know what the deal is with regards to Barnes, prefer the club keeps it all in private rather than shouting about what the agreement is or isn't in press conferences

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

“He is a player from the Academy with good attributes and qualities. I appreciate the character from him in the first half of the season.

“He showed a good clinical edge, and we’ve had a problem with this.

“If we take the decision for him to come back it will be for him to give us more possibilities

“I don’t know exactly [when a decision will be made]. We have to look at the balance in our squad and look at the positives and negatives about him coming back.

“I think it will be more positive.”

^ Some of Puel's comments. I like the comment in bold because we all know it's true, but it's further confirmation the manager sees it too and that our lack of cut and thrust isn't intentional. We know we are a solid team but don't really cause teams that setup defensively anywhere near enough problems.

Agreed, also good to see him confirming that if (seems like a certainty now) he comes back he’s coming for game time 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Still don't compare. One played in a shite bottom to mid table side. The other plays for a promotion favourite. 

One took every set piece under the sun, the other doesn't.

Riddle me this, Barnes is the 2nd highest scorer in the division that isn't a striker and the 2nd highest assists provider of any player. A skill set like that is fetching what we paid for Maddison and then some. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

One took every set piece under the sun, the other doesn't.

Riddle me this, Barnes is the 2nd highest scorer in the division that isn't a striker and the 2nd highest assists provider of any player. A skill set like that is fetching what we paid for Maddison and then some. 

I'm not saying Barnes is not better. Just that it is hard to judge when one played for a poor side. The other playing for one of the best in the division and top scorers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I wonder what Harvey actually wants for the rest of the season. 

To start in the Premier League for the team he supports which I think would happen if he came back

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sylofox said:

I'm not saying Barnes is not better. Just that it is hard to judge when one played for a poor side. The other playing for one of the best in the division and top scorers. 

I know, I was just being facetious. Sorry. I think we are incredibly fortunate that we own both of them, it's great.

4 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I wonder what Harvey actually wants for the rest of the season. 

I would guess the same as what Chilwell wanted. To stay at WBA unless he gets significant game time with us (maybe 30% of available PL minutes?). I’m sure he’d love to support our push for 7th, he’s a LCFC fan after all. The thing is, neither he or us really know if he’s good enough for that to happen until he actually comes back and we give him those minutes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've a feeling he hasn't yet felt part of things at Leicester and I hope we make a real effort to change that.

Takes time and a sustained run for that to happen. I recall Chilwell saying he still didn’t feel like part of the first team even after his first handful of starts. I doubt Hamza feels properly like a first team player yet either.