Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

He's certainly doing very well for WBA but let's keep things in perspective as it's still Championship football. Nice that he's getting plenty of match time and experience.

Why do you perceive that league as irreverent as to one's seemingly excellent progress as a talented, up-and-coming footballer?

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

He's certainly doing very well for WBA but let's keep things in perspective as it's still Championship football. Nice that he's getting plenty of match time and experience.

What's better: showing nothing here (à la Ghezzal or Diabaté) or something a tier below?

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

I’d leave him for the season. The Championship is a league that will turn the boy into a man and hopefully his confidence will be sky high next summer. That’ll be worth more long term than coming back to warm our bench in January.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

I’d leave him for the season. The Championship is a league that will turn the boy into a man and hopefully his confidence will be sky high next summer. That’ll be worth more long term than coming back to warm our bench in January.

I’d like to think he’ll be at or near Maddison’s level when he returns. 

Think of the talent up top with Barnes / Maddison / Gray supporting Vardy / Nacho and a target man TBD. 

Not to mention Albrighton and Ghezzal. 

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Why do you perceive that league as irreverent as to one's seemingly excellent progress as a talented, up-and-coming footballer?

21 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

What's better: showing nothing here (à la Ghezzal or Diabaté) or something a tier below?

All i think he means is that playing well in the champ doesn’t always means you’ll play well in the prem- the prem IS of a higher standard. That’s all.

28 minutes ago, MPH said:

All i think he means is that playing well in the champ doesn’t always means you’ll play well in the prem- the prem IS of a higher standard. That’s all.

Maddison......

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

sol Bamba was in the championship team of the year last year..

Sol Bamba was an experienced defender in a team doing well, Maddison was a young inexperienced forward in a struggling side with the potential to improve massively.

Leave Barnes where he is until we resolve the Puel situation, one result doesn’t change weeks of under performing and there is clearly some elements of the club wanting him gone. 

There is no benefit in bringing him back for Puel to integrate into the first team, if Puel’s job is hanging by a thread. Bring him back into a stable environment like preseason with a manager who has the full backing of the club.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Leave Barnes where he is until we resolve the Puel situation, one result doesn’t change weeks of under performing and there is clearly some elements of the club wanting him gone. 

There is no benefit in bringing him back for Puel to integrate into the first team, if Puel’s job is hanging by a thread. Bring him back into a stable environment like preseason with a manager who has the full backing of the club.

How dare you speak sense  this is FT

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

"Showing nothing here" 

They've played less than 20 games between them, Ghezzal has about 500 minutes and you are writing him off..  **** me, our fans sometimes. 

Thank **** we didn't take the same attitude to Vardy when he first arrived and was absolute dross, or the first prem season where he scored 5 goals and was all running and no product. 

Diabete has done nothing in his career either here or at his previous clubs. Im baffled as to how hes a premier league footballer.

Ghezzal didnt come with a great reputation and has done little to show me or many others otherwise.

Vardy arrived with a hatful of goals in non league and early on showed promise before tailing off heavily in his first season. Most people did write him off including himself.

Barnes has torn it up in every loan spell hes had and has only been given one chance with us against Fleetwood.

Theres a slight difference. 

36 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Sol Bamba was an experienced defender in a team doing well, Maddison was a young inexperienced forward in a struggling side with the potential to improve massively.

But the point is how someone plays in the champ is no guarentee that they will do aswell in the prem. he’s hardly setting the world alight now is he? would you take him back to replace one of our current CBs?

14 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

Wasn't just a result though was it, it was a performance.

I don't see baying for the current managers head as sense, hopefully today is the first of a string of performances and we continue seeing young players grow into the team and we don't have to change tactical philosophy again whilst bringing in another £60m+ of a new managers men while turning the development of Gray, Choudhury, Maddison and the like into a different direction.

If not and we turn to mush again for a sustained time then agreed, look at things in the summer. Off his head if we flirt with relegation. I also think stability is hugely important to us with the Chaiman's position being undefined

We need to definitely break the cycle of hiring and firing . Most would agree MON and Pearson were  both amongst  our best managers but both started quite poorly and both took time to build a team yet many are still unwilling to give Puel a chance and can only see the short game . Yes Harvey is doing well let him keep doing well 

• Like 1

West Brom have received no indication from Leicester City at this stage that Harvey Barnes will be recalled when the Foxes’ clause comes into play next month.

Barnes, on loan for the season, has to date netted eight goals and collected seven assists in all competitions since arriving in the summer.

The attacker, who turned 21 earlier this month, has struck up a fearsome chemistry with strike pair Dwight Gayle and Jay Rodriguez this season - the trio have 28 goals between them, which is more than numerous Championship clubs - and has previously spoken of how much enjoyment he’s getting, developing his game and securing regular football. Claude Puel, the manager of his parent club, has been rather coy in the past on the subject of whether they’d trigger the aforementioned recall clause.

For now, though, as the window nears, Barnes’ Hawthorns boss Darren Moore is enjoying working with the youngster.

“As far as I’m concerned Harvey is enjoying his football here,” he said. “For the foreseeable future I don’t see anything.

“We’re very hopeful that Harvey can continue playing the football that he’s playing and continue playing with West Brom.

“I’ve not heard anything, but you know what football’s like. As we speak now, we’re just continuing.

Many Albion supporters on the terraces could have been forgiven in the summer for not knowing too much about Barnes.

A young player on the fringes at Leicester, he spent a loan spell at Moore’s former club Barnsley last season - and it was at Oakwell where he caught the Baggies head coach’s eye.

Barnes, who endeared himself to the Albion faithful when he burst onto the scene in pre-season against Coventry, and then a week later opened his account with the stunner against Bolton, has become a crucial cog of this Albion side.

The attacker, who has been playing on the left in recent weeks, was immediately identified by Moore as the ideal replacement to Stoke bound James McClean in the summer.

“I can understand why there were one or two eyebrows raised when James left and Harvey came in,” Moore continued. “It’s a youngster just starting his career.

“But I watched him on loan at Barnsley and he scored a couple of stellar goals and I took a shine to him. He was the only one for me.

“Credit to the recruitment team as well, they strengthened the idea. We had no hesitation bringing him, I’m pleased the West Bromwich Albion supporters have seen the quality he has.

“The energy he has, he’s still improving. There are many parts of his game that are improving, many parts that have improved at West Brom, that has made him a better player.

“He’s a willing individual to take on information, he’s willing to play different roles for the team, we know that once he gets in certain areas of the pitch he can get score. “He’s a stronger player than when I saw him at Barnsley, and his power and ability in full flow is a joy to watch. “He’s been challenged here but he’s stepping forward to the challenge, and making himself known to the wider footballing world and it’s great to see it for one so young.”

Edited by StriderHiryu

26 minutes ago, MPH said:

But the point is how someone plays in the champ is no guarentee that they will do aswell in the prem. he’s hardly setting the world alight now is he? would you take him back to replace one of our current CBs?

No but the scope for a 33 year old defender to step up a division for a new team and be successful is a lot smaller than for a young forward who was pulling the strings for his team in his first full season in the championship.

Obviously nothing guarantees anything, you can be amazing in the championship and be terrible in a higher league, but you look at how they have developed their maturity and decision making. Take Dwight Gayle, scores loads in the champ because he has pace, but he will not succeed in the prem because defenders are faster. Maddison and Barnes have showed a lot more than pace, power, strength. Physical characteristics are easier to nullify than mental characteristics like intelligence, speed of thought, awareness, determination, discipline.

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

No but the scope for a 33 year old defender to step up a division for a new team and be successful is a lot smaller than for a young forward who was pulling the strings for his team in his first full season in the championship.

Obviously nothing guarantees anything, you can be amazing in the championship and be terrible in a higher league, but you look at how they have developed their maturity and decision making. Take Dwight Gayle, scores loads in the champ because he has pace, but he will not succeed in the prem because defenders are faster. Maddison and Barnes have showed a lot more than pace, power, strength. Physical characteristics are easier to nullify than mental characteristics like intelligence, speed of thought, awareness, determination, discipline.

With Barnes of course, he did play for us 3-4 times and was distinctly average. but we can’t  base anything on that really and a full season at West Brom could work wonders for him. I really hope it does..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

https://www.goalsarena.org/en/video/england-championship/22-12-2018-rotherham-united-0-4-west-bromwich-albion-championship.html

Harvey's goal starts at 0:33. Very good play that hopefully we get to see in person next season!

Did great for the build up too.

He's had his best whoscored rating in a while too. I'm really not sure how it's calculated. Because from what I can see if his stats he didn't do that much more than previous matches - passing in the high seventies, fewer attempts on goal than usual. Yet he's 8 point something whereas he's normally in the 7s even when he scores.

Played as a left sided striker again. I wonder if we'll play him up front next season.

5 hours ago, MPH said:

I’d say about half of the premier league is players who have made the jump up from the championship. How many of our starting line up played in the championship? Bournemouth? Watford? Brighton? Palace? Shall I go on?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Foxboy said:

I’d say about half of the premier league is players who have made the jump up from the championship. How many of our starting line up played in the championship? Bournemouth? Watford? Brighton? Palace? Shall I go on?

and then there are players like Andy King who haven’t done too well.

my point wasn’t that it can’t be done but that playing well in the champ isn’t a guarentee that you will in the prem. some struggle.