Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

What you don’t see is his run before that! He’s got some real quality

Yeah strider's link was better. He did the build up work, passed it for someone else to finish, they couldn't finish so it did it himself. I can't remember the last game he didn't either assist or score in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Yeah strider's link was better. He did the build up work, passed it for someone else to finish, they couldn't finish so it did it himself. I can't remember the last game he didn't either assist or score in.

The man could well get 20 goals 15 assists this season.

i want to recall him as he’s so different to anything we’ve got but at the same time, his development is crazy at West Brom and they seem to be really looking after him.

13 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Did great for the build up too.

He's had his best whoscored rating in a while too. I'm really not sure how it's calculated. Because from what I can see if his stats he didn't do that much more than previous matches - passing in the high seventies, fewer attempts on goal than usual. Yet he's 8 point something whereas he's normally in the 7s even when he scores.

Played as a left sided striker again. I wonder if we'll play him up front next season.

Would be ideal in Claude’s new 4-3-3 :thumbup:.

Edited by Lovejoy

20 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

The man could well get 20 goals 15 assists this season.

i want to recall him as he’s so different to anything we’ve got but at the same time, his development is crazy at West Brom and they seem to be really looking after him.

He needs to improve his defensive game. He needs to get a tackle or two each game as Gayle tends to do. Maddison, for example, did well against Chelsea harrying defenders, tackling, clearing the ball. Barnes is nowhere near that level. If he came back he'd only be decent up front unless Puel teaches him the defensive game. I'd rather his coaches at West Brom do that.

Edited by Foxxed

4 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

Would be ideal in Claude’s new 4-3-3 :thumbup:.

Does sound good. He's been playing well on the right so we could put him there.

Madd Vardy Barnes

Ndidi Mendy Hamza

Chil Mag Benk Ric

Kasper

18 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Why do you perceive that league as irreverent as to one's seemingly excellent progress as a talented, up-and-coming footballer?

You know as well as I do there is a gulf between the 2 leagues. There has only been 2 seasons since the inception of the EPL where the all the teams promoted have stayed up. Of course the lad is doing well but all I'm saying is that he is doing so in any lower league.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

He needs to improve his defensive game. He needs to get a tackle or two each game as Gayle tends to do. Maddison, for example, did well against Chelsea harrying defenders, tackling, clearing the ball. Barnes is nowhere near that level. If he came back he'd only be decent up front unless Puel teaches him the defensive game. I'd rather his coaches at West Brom do that.

I used to believe that to be a top player you need to get stuck in, but the modern game is so far away from that now I’m not so sure Barnes needs to change whatsoever.

24 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I used to believe that to be a top player you need to get stuck in, but the modern game is so far away from that now I’m not so sure Barnes needs to change whatsoever.

There is Mahrez I guess. Simpson and Mahrez made a good team.

• Like 1

Just been reading on the SSN app that Harvey is 9th on the list of this season's most effective players in the Championship. Impressive 

Edit* Scratch that, he's actually 2nd on the list!

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 3

On 23/12/2018 at 11:40, Foxxed said:

He has admitted his defensive game is weak and is one the the biggest things his working on. Which is why he wants to stay at West Brom as they are happily teaching him the defensive side of the game as a left winger and give him the game time to develop faster 

• Like 2

On 23/12/2018 at 11:35, StriderHiryu said:

Darren Moore has to take massive credit for Barnes development. He let a veteran player in McLean go to give Harvey a chance, but he's been fully vindicated. And the way his team is playing is brilliant, they are a very attacking team that is playing to Barnes' strengths. It is super tempting to recall him, but this is the best possible development the player can get, he is just going to get more and more confident and hopefully when he returns he has no fear, Maddison style. I think a season of being the stand out "electric" style player for WBA will hopefully mean he can repeat the trick for us next season.

To be a great attacking player you have to be prepared to take chances and not let failure get your head down. Sometimes you are going to drive at a defender and put it out of play, or your cross is going to sail harmlessly out of play. But you have to keep going and trying because it's your role in the team. Barnes is having some quiet games at WBA so this is a great time to try and develop the mental side of his game so that he is consistent as well as quality.

Can't wait to see him back here next season though! It will be great to see a youth academy player with attacking intent break through!

Totally agree. Bringing him back now and then playing him on the odd occasion to rotate the squad will just stifle his development, stop the momentum he currently has and drain his confidence.

Although he would surely be an asset in our squad, we don't need him now. Let him end the season with WBA on a high (potentially achieving promotion and earning the right to be a PL player as one of the standout performers in a promoted side) and then bring him back into our first team squad in pre-season, fully integrate him as one of our main attacking threats while his confidence is sky high, and let him have a full pre-season to really get used to being around, and being a major part of, the Leicester first team.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2018 at 11:55, David Hankey said:

You know as well as I do there is a gulf between the 2 leagues. There has only been 2 seasons since the inception of the EPL where the all the teams promoted have stayed up. Of course the lad is doing well but all I'm saying is that he is doing so in any lower league.

And one was last season, 12 current premier league teams were promoted in the last 6 years. Even this season Cardiff, who everyone thought would get tonked, are making a fist of it with distinctly average players.

The gulf between the top 6 and the rest of the premier league is bigger than gulf between PL mid-table and championship top 6.

8 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Murphy on Five Live saying he will be recalled this month 

Presumably we will get him back straight away in time to prepare for the Newport match, which would be a very timely introduction. 

My West Brom supporting friends are going to hate me if this happens... i have already been warned...!

This is the actual quote from Puel

“A few may come back on loan”.

Not hard to guess that IF anyone’s coming back it’s Barnes, given who we have out on loan.... Barnes, Benkovic, Slimani, Kapustka, Thomas and a couple GKs.

Edited by brucey
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Puel would tell stringer nothing. If he's heard it it's from somewhere else. 

It was from todays interview when Stringer asked about Benkovic & Barnes, Puel spoke on the prior for 30 seconds saying it's probably better for him to continue unless we have an injury crisis and on Barnes he basically just said "we will see". Stringer has then bantered with his little banter chum lad its usually more what Puel doesn't say than he does say - so to him that meant Barnes is on his way back

Puel was hesitant but Stringer is often wrong in these instances, he loves to think he has a lead on something, gets all excited

edit: Bruce on it too

Edited by Jaspa
  • Like 1