Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

I think the main issue is we have Chilwell embedded and Hamza starting to break through. Puel is too cautious to play another young and inexperienced player. I don’t think he will get much time if he comes back 

15 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

I think the main issue is we have Chilwell embedded and Hamza starting to break through. Puel is too cautious to play another young and inexperienced player. I don’t think he will get much time if he comes back 

We played with some  young, got a decent result, then there's sacking rumour day by day

Put more chilwell1st season esque might cost him the job unfortunately 

I would still leave him at West Brom. Too much chopping and changing 433/4231 too many players with question marks over how they fit in both or either formation Barnes comes back and he is competing with Ghezzal, Albrighton, Diabate, Gray, Maddison, Nacho, Okazaki, Ricardo.

I think the uncertainty and the number of players still trying to prove themselves in the forwards positions it is not a good situation to come back to. Maybe if we can shift 2 or 3 of the above, but I would still give Gray the rest of the season to play a forward in a 433. If he hasn’t progressed by the end of the season then Barnes can come back have a preseason and have a real claim to a starting spot. The biggest issue is if we bring him back and play him once and it doesn’t work or some of the more experienced players step up and he can’t get in the team it’s season over for Barnes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mehrez said:

Correct - that’s quite common however he did play in the EFL Cup (Caraboa) but depends if the contract is that specific

id assume they would have had to seek our permission for that...

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

Ghezzal, Albrighton, Diabate, Gray, Maddison, Nacho, Okazaki, Ricardo.

Realistically he's competing with Albrighton, Ghezzal and Gray, the others aren't wingers or barely ever start out wide. Puel doesn't seem to fancy Ghezzal and given we play 4231 predominantly he'll get minutes whether he makes an immediate impression or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brucey said:

I reckon Puel would happily play an entire team of 17 year olds if he felt they were good enough.

He gave Eden Hazard his debut at 16!!!

I’ve heard Hazard turned out to be quite good? Apparently he scored some goal that resulted in an East Midlands team winning the league or something...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stadt said:

Realistically he's competing with Albrighton, Ghezzal and Gray, the others aren't wingers or barely ever start out wide. Puel doesn't seem to fancy Ghezzal and given we play 4231 predominantly he'll get minutes whether he makes an immediate impression or not.

Last 6 games we have started 433 3 times and won 3. 4231 3 times and won none. I’m expecting to see more 433.

Using the 433 he has played Maddison, Ricardo, Ghezzal, Albrighton and Gray as the wide forwards in a 4231 he has also played Diabate as wide forwards. Barnes has also been touted as a number 10 which then puts him competing with  Okazaki and Nacho for minutes. It’s not a case of Barnes is a left winger so will only compete with Gray and Albrighton. He is a forward and will be challenging for a wide role or a central role. Look at the Palace game we ended the game with Vardy, Nacho, Okazaki all playing. If Barnes is recalled one of those misses out, or Barnes does. If Barnes returns it becomes 10 forwards (9+Ricardo) to keep happy with only 3 slots in a 433 or 4 in a 4231. Diabate has only started once and Shinji is an impact sub, Nacho is out of favour, Ghezzal and Gray haven’t cemented their spot but these are still professionals that we are paying a lot of money for. They are also talented and have a lot more Premier League experience. If Barnes comes back and struggles and Gray suddenly starts playing to his potential or Nacho gets a run and gets some confidence or Puel decides Simpson/Amartey with Ricardo is the best option on the right or Ghezzal surprises us all and is actually a footballer then Barnes’ chances become limited.

Realistically the best possible season for Leicester is to finish 7th and win the FACup we are on course for one without Barnes and if he plays for West Brom today he won’t be eligible for the other.

Recall him in the Summer when hopefully we have cleared out the dead wood got a functioning plan A and Plan B know for certain if Diabate, Ghezzal, Gray, Nacho have a future here. Barnes then has a preseason to get familiar with the squad and the manager and there is no pressure to start him or on him to do well because we’ve cut short a very successful loan spell. If preseason there are still some question marks then he can go on loan to a lower table prem club.

If we recall him now and he doesn’t hit the ground running then it is his season over, he can’t go out on loan again and he will probably be more pissed off than last season when he was recalled from Barnesly looked out of his depth and spent the rest of the season stagnating.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He gave Eden Hazard his debut at 16!!!

I’ve heard Hazard turned out to be quite good? Apparently he scored some goal that resulted in an East Midlands team winning the league or something...

Really?  the last place I expect to see this narrative is on here ........ even unintentionally written ..........

pedantically you are correct but we don’t mention the goal scorer in all other ‘title winning fixtures’ which enable a team not playing to get over the line with several games still to play .......

it must be annoying for the players to be forever reminded by the media that they only won the league cos Chelsea drew with spurs ....

• Like 3

I think Puel has no option but to recall Harvey. There seems to be a clear agenda this month to offload fringe players, particularly those that are high cost.

I suspect the club don't want to pay over the odds this month and would prefer to do some rebuilding in the summer with more time and potentially more options.

That said CP will be acutely aware we are severely lacking in attacking positions and it makes more sense to recall an inform loan player than invest in a new one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

I think Puel has no option but to recall Harvey. There seems to be a clear agenda this month to offload fringe players, particularly those that are high cost.

I suspect the club don't want to pay over the odds this month and would prefer to do some rebuilding in the summer with more time and potentially more options.

That said CP will be acutely aware we are severely lacking in attacking positions and it makes more sense to recall an inform loan player than invest in a new one.

:appl:This

37 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Really?  the last place I expect to see this narrative is on here ........ even unintentionally written ..........

pedantically you are correct but we don’t mention the goal scorer in all other ‘title winning fixtures’ which enable a team not playing to get over the line with several games still to play .......

it must be annoying for the players to be forever reminded by the media that they only won the league cos Chelsea drew with spurs ....

982AE8F9-26C7-4558-95D6-3F2FB77A9BC2.jpeg.c23580379113cfa08c0a73628ae5caf2.jpeg

• Haha 2

Barnes’ stats in the Championship are superb. He has made it impossible for City to ignore him and we simply have to give him a go as we are struggling for creativity.

All the stats geeks are going mad for Harvey in terms of ball progression numbers - as well as goals and assists. Not quite sure what it means but sounds impressive!!

43 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

It's a tricky situation but I think you are correct. Better to bring Barnes back and play him than try the transfer market in this window. 

The coaching staff will obviously have a better knowledge of Barnes capabilities and if he's ready for the Premier League, but it would be really disappointing for all concerned if he failed to play regularly once recalled. 

10 minutes ago, Captain... said:

We need to get rid of more than one player. Letting one player who hardly plays go doesn’t really make space for Barnes.

I posted something yesterday. We are working on several going (CP then shared same in press conference and its in all papers)

Silva, Iborra and King going.  Maybe Benny (his team are working hard).  Maybe Johnson (Loan)

but if/when Seni goes on loan, HB comes back.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Captain... said:

We need to get rid of more than one player. Letting one player who hardly plays go doesn’t really make space for Barnes.

Barnes is playing as a striker. And has been playing at left wing. And started at number ten. And can play on the right. If he can make the jump from championship to prem well they'll be plenty of space for him.

• Like 2

A lot clearer now imo ...   Clod wants to shift out the dead wood then see if what is left is good enough ...   before he buys in the summer he needs to know if Harvey can cut the mustard ...   and the only way to do that is to get him back and try him out.   Obviously it would be nice to let him develop further and gain more experience but our lack of creativity (Iborra and Silva on the way out) has sort of made the decision for him.  I think its a good idea and Barnes will flourish.

And the bonus ball ...   as Chilwell has said ...  the young players love Clod ...    one more in the bag !    :) 

• Like 2