Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

9 hours ago, Captain... said:

I would still leave him at West Brom. Too much chopping and changing 433/4231 too many players with question marks over how they fit in both or either formation Barnes comes back and he is competing with Ghezzal, Albrighton, Diabate, Gray, Maddison, Nacho, Okazaki, Ricardo.

I think the uncertainty and the number of players still trying to prove themselves in the forwards positions it is not a good situation to come back to. Maybe if we can shift 2 or 3 of the above, but I would still give Gray the rest of the season to play a forward in a 433. If he hasn’t progressed by the end of the season then Barnes can come back have a preseason and have a real claim to a starting spot. The biggest issue is if we bring him back and play him once and it doesn’t work or some of the more experienced players step up and he can’t get in the team it’s season over for Barnes.

Theres too much chopping and changing because the majority of who you quote there have either barely played or are playing very poorly this season. I'd expect Barnes to come back and compete with Gray, Albrighton and Maddison for one of the support/wide roles depending on formation with Vardy. Diabate is going out on loan, Okazaki never plays and Iheanacho hasn't been used other than as a Vardy back up since the start of the season. Ghezzal has been very poor of late and I think this is why he's thinking of bringing him back. I think as long as he is considering him as a proper first team player then it'll massively benefit us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

Last 6 games we have started 433 3 times and won 3. 4231 3 times and won none. I’m expecting to see more 433.

Using the 433 he has played Maddison, Ricardo, Ghezzal, Albrighton and Gray as the wide forwards in a 4231 he has also played Diabate as wide forwards. Barnes has also been touted as a number 10 which then puts him competing with  Okazaki and Nacho for minutes. It’s not a case of Barnes is a left winger so will only compete with Gray and Albrighton. He is a forward and will be challenging for a wide role or a central role. Look at the Palace game we ended the game with Vardy, Nacho, Okazaki all playing. If Barnes is recalled one of those misses out, or Barnes does. If Barnes returns it becomes 10 forwards (9+Ricardo) to keep happy with only 3 slots in a 433 or 4 in a 4231. Diabate has only started once and Shinji is an impact sub, Nacho is out of favour, Ghezzal and Gray haven’t cemented their spot but these are still professionals that we are paying a lot of money for. They are also talented and have a lot more Premier League experience. If Barnes comes back and struggles and Gray suddenly starts playing to his potential or Nacho gets a run and gets some confidence or Puel decides Simpson/Amartey with Ricardo is the best option on the right or Ghezzal surprises us all and is actually a footballer then Barnes’ chances become limited.

Realistically the best possible season for Leicester is to finish 7th and win the FACup we are on course for one without Barnes and if he plays for West Brom today he won’t be eligible for the other.

Recall him in the Summer when hopefully we have cleared out the dead wood got a functioning plan A and Plan B know for certain if Diabate, Ghezzal, Gray, Nacho have a future here. Barnes then has a preseason to get familiar with the squad and the manager and there is no pressure to start him or on him to do well because we’ve cut short a very successful loan spell. If preseason there are still some question marks then he can go on loan to a lower table prem club.

If we recall him now and he doesn’t hit the ground running then it is his season over, he can’t go out on loan again and he will probably be more pissed off than last season when he was recalled from Barnesly looked out of his depth and spent the rest of the season stagnating.

Okazaki is gone in the summer and basically offers nothing going forward. You can forget him.

Ricardo only plays wide if we are desperate. He'll play right back when we have sufficient wide options.

Diabate hasn't had a sniff.

We have enough options to cover the 10 position anyway, so he's realistically competing with Albrighton, Gray and Rachid who whilst doing a few decent bits looks wildly inconsistent to the point of being diabolical in some games.

I get your point if we go 433 all the time, but I think it's unlikely we will. It would be silly to as well against poorer teams. His preferred formation is 4231 and he'll keep trying to get that working, which leaves plenty of scope for minutes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

I posted something yesterday. We are working on several going (CP then shared same in press conference and its in all papers)

Silva, Iborra and King going.  Maybe Benny (his team are working hard).  Maybe Johnson (Loan)

but if/when Seni goes on loan, HB comes back.

Do you know if there's any plans to bring in another CM seeing as we're offloading a few?

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Really?  the last place I expect to see this narrative is on here ........ even unintentionally written ..........

pedantically you are correct but we don’t mention the goal scorer in all other ‘title winning fixtures’ which enable a team not playing to get over the line with several games still to play .......

it must be annoying for the players to be forever reminded by the media that they only won the league cos Chelsea drew with spurs ....

The whole 'Chelsea won us the league' line is nonsense, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a bit of a soft spot for Hazard because of that goal. Absolute scenes in the pub. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Don't understand why Claude is pissing about. Free signing in an area we need to strengthen, young player etc etc. Why isn't he here already?

Maybe we want sign another player as well as bringing Barnes back in the same position . This way way we don't seen desperate ! 

25 minutes ago, lanefox said:

Seems all to conveniet with all the talk about him not playing though

To be fair West Brom made 9 changes to their starting eleven, so it isn't like he was the only played that was dropped, if it was just him that was dropped, it would make it very clear something was going on, but in this case, him not playing means nothing

I’m pretty sure he’ll be back, Puel wouldn’t have said he doesn’t want him cup tied for no reason, I’d imagine we’ve agreed they can him up until the end of the month. Or it may be we are trying to buy someone and Barnes will be recalled if it doesn’t go through 

6 minutes ago, LinekersApples said:

Doubt it.

With Hamza's breakthrough, James and Amartey (slowly) on the mend, it doesn't look likely.  Havent heard anything.

It seems quite surprising that we're willing to let 3 CM's go and only have Ndidi, Mendy and Choudhury realistically available. James has been fit collectively for about 4 months in 4 years for us. Especially as we now seem intent on playing 4-3-3.

2 hours ago, FoxFossil said:

Don't understand why Claude is pissing about. Free signing in an area we need to strengthen, young player etc etc. Why isn't he here already?

Yeah that's it, it's all Puel's fault. We have no idea what the contract actually says, whether there is a specific date the recall option becomes active etc.

There was an article about a Chelsea player the other day and his contract stipulated that the recall became active on the 14th.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It seems quite surprising that we're willing to let 3 CM's go and only have Ndidi, Mendy and Choudhury realistically available. James has been fit collectively for about 4 months in 4 years for us. Especially as we now seem intent on playing 4-3-3.

I can't believe that, would surely be mental? I know Puel is Pearsonesque in liking a very small squad, but unless there is another option we don't know of yet in the squad he'd surely want 4 plus James who is clearly a risk.

• Like 1

Wouldn't surprise me if we've had discussions with West Brom not to have included Barnes in the cup today (hence Moore saying it was 'his decision' to rest him) so we can recall him without being cup-tied, but so we can potentially send a player or two to them in future (maybe King or James on loan?). 

4 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

We cant be relying on James as a CM backup. Even when he is fit he is painfully average.

A fully fit James would be a better partner for Mendy in a 4231. He would at least keep possession whilst offering nothing going forwards. King too, unfortunately Ndidi has been massively exposed by Puel’s system and needs a break to hopefully come back stronger and better.

As for Barnes, West Brom have just let Oliver Burke go on loan to Celtic. If they were expecting to lose Barnes would they let a winger leave on loan?

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I can't believe that, would surely be mental? I know Puel is Pearsonesque in liking a very small squad, but unless there is another option we don't know of yet in the squad he'd surely want 4 plus James who is clearly a risk.

And Mendys got history too ...     he MUST have a plan B ....   surely ..   :mellow:

5 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

And Mendys got history too ...     he MUST have a plan B ....   surely ..   :mellow:

Not sure how far Amartey is off being back in action. Can't imagine he'd be anytime soon. I think he'd want another as what we've got doesn't really fit what we want anyway.