Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho / Nacho Man

On 19/11/2018 at 08:36, FIF said:

Has Nacho replaced Gray in the FT hearts?

Do you think that's true FIF? I think I'm generally on the wrong side of being over protective of our players but I've been hugely disappointed in Kelechi. I wasn't expecting miracles from him but he's been more than underwhelming for me. I know he's young, I know he will improve but...... 

1 minute ago, Max Wall said:

Do you think that's true FIF? I think I'm generally on the wrong side of being over protective of our players but I've been hugely disappointed in Kelechi. I wasn't expecting miracles from him but he's been more than underwhelming for me. I know he's young, I know he will improve but...... 

Both Gray and Kelechi suffered and suffer from overblown expectations I think. We scouted Gray with the same guy who found Kante, Mahrez and Vardy and he came in to replace the most talented footballer most here had ever seen at the club. And Kelechi came from the best club in the country, managed by the best coach, hailed by their fans and apparently scored every thirty minutes often with his first touch. When we found out we'd in fact bought developing youngsters rather than the finished product most here assumed we'd been conned and layed into the players out of frustration.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Both Gray and Kelechi suffered and suffer from overblown expectations I think. We scouted Gray with the same guy who found Kante, Mahrez and Vardy and he came in to replace the most talented footballer most here had ever seen at the club. And Kelechi came from the best club in the country, managed by the best coach, hailed by their fans and apparently scored every thirty minutes often with his first touch. When we found out we'd in fact bought developing youngsters rather than the finished product most here assumed we'd been conned and layed into the players out of frustration.

I think there's a lot of truth in that. Possibly, we all expected too much in varying degrees. Maybe it's the standard British thing of not seeing enough 'effort'. We love a trier in this country and Iheanacho often looks like he isn't particularly putting full effort in (probably just his demeanour tbf)

I'd like to think I haven't said what I've said out of frustration but maybe I have. I haven't been hugely impressed with Ghezzal either but maybe my expectations were just much lower with him and I'm more patient, (although they should be given he was half the fee a year later and hadn't played in England before). 

I will be absolutely delighted if I'm proved to be wrong and he becomes a hit at our club.

Just now, Stadt said:

We’ve spent about £75m on Iheanacho, Slimani and Musa. Our expensive signings are almost always failures 

Why do you think that is? Is it just scouting failures? It's interesting the three you've listed are all (sort of) competing with JV for a position in the team at times.

1 minute ago, Max Wall said:

I think there's a lot of truth in that. Possibly, we all expected too much in varying degrees. Maybe it's the standard British thing of not seeing enough 'effort'. We love a trier in this country and Iheanacho often looks like he isn't particularly putting full effort in (probably just his demeanour tbf)

I'd like to think I haven't said what I've said out of frustration but maybe I have. I haven't been hugely impressed with Ghezzal either but maybe my expectations were just much lower with him and I'm more patient, (although they should be given he was half the fee a year later and hadn't played in England before). 

I will be absolutely delighted if I'm proved to be wrong and he becomes a hit at our club.

Ghezzal's thread consisted of people claiming we'd bought a downgrade on Diabaté. In Kelechi's people were fretting Pep would somehow recall Kelechi when it becomes apparent he's the best striker in the country. Ghezzal has a mildly good game and everyone's plesantly surprised. Iheacho scored a beauty and no one blinks an eyelid: that's what we bought and that's what we were sold. I'm no massive fan of Kelechi's current form but the audible unmotiving groans come from the fact we were oversold him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Ghezzal's thread consisted of people claiming we'd bought a downgrade on Diabaté. In Kelechi's people were fretting Pep would somehow recall Kelechi when it becomes apparent he's the best striker in the country. Ghezzal has a mildly good game and everyone's plesantly surprised. Iheacho scored a beauty and no one blinks an eyelid: that's what we bought and that's what we were sold. I'm no massive fan of Kelechi's current form but the audible unmotiving groans come from the fact we were oversold him.

Yeah, that probably pretty much nails it.

2 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Why do you think that is? Is it just scouting failures? It's interesting the three you've listed are all (sort of) competing with JV for a position in the team at times.

I think this is the crux of it.

All of those players had to or are competing with our best ever striker in the modern era, who we bought for £1 million with little-to-no expectation, who helped return us to the top flight, holds the record for consecutive goals scored in the PL, won the title with us, and is considered by many the personification of Leicester City.

Now imagine coming in for £15m-£30m more than that to compete with him. Never mind the subconscious psychological pressure you'd feel yourself - imagine having to live up to that in the fans' eyes.

Fundamentally, our expectations of strikers are sky high because of how great Jamie has been for us. It's a bit like the Fergie situation at United in some small way (if that makes sense).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Musa and Slimani are poor technically and didn’t fit our playing style. Iheanacho is ok but isn’t dynamic enough, he doesn’t offer enough movement and lacks awareness which are obviously key attributes.

At least with Iheanacho we bought a player at a good age with resell value, signing a nearly 28 year old Slimani when we bought him fur that price was so naive.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CloudFox said:

I think this is the crux of it.

All of those players had to or are competing with our best ever striker in the modern era, who we bought for £1 million with little-to-no expectation, who helped return us to the top flight, holds the record for consecutive goals scored in the PL, won the title with us, and is considered by many the personification of Leicester City.

Now imagine coming in for £15m-£30m more than that to compete with him. Never mind the subconscious psychological pressure you'd feel yourself - imagine having to live up to that in the fans' eyes.

Fundamentally, our expectations of strikers are sky high because of how great Jamie has been for us. It's a bit like the Fergie situation at United in some small way (if that makes sense).

It does make sense. Impossible to follow Ferguson, very difficult to follow Vardy.

Iheanacho certainly fitted the bill with regards to our move towards younger players with potential. It's such a problem position though isn't it? If JV is out, we struggle to scores goals and expect other players to take on the mantle. That does put extra pressure on. 

We are so threadbare in terms of goalscorers though, it's a position where we may have been better using the fee towards a slightly older, more experienced striker. Having said that, they'd have to be prepared to play 2nd fiddle and also sit on the bench a bit.

Catch 22.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Musa and Slimani are poor technically and didn’t fit our playing style. Iheanacho is ok but isn’t dynamic enough, he doesn’t offer enough movement and lacks awareness which are obviously key attributes.

At least with Iheanacho we bought a player at a good age with resell value, signing a nearly 28 year old Slimani when we bought him fur that price was so naive.

The Slimani purchase was one big balls up. I'm not that convinced he'd score a bucket load even if we did play to his strengths.

Difficult job identifying players who become a total success I guess.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I'm not so sure.

It's not like we were unwilling suitors.  The club wanted him, the fans on here certainly did with 100 page thread.  I don't think Man City needed to resort to dark arts to palm him off.

He has been a frustration since he has been here though, now is the time for him to step up.

From what I've seen of Iheanacho he's the complete opposite to everything Pep Guardiola wants in a player, poor first touch, lazy, no interest in high press, not very bright. He's got nothing going for him except a lot of goals against weak opposition that makes his scoring record look better than it is.

I can't see any feasible reason why they would be interested in him. Maybe they have a policy on this when selling young players.

Edited by MattP

I think if we had a starting striker who was bagging the goals in everyone would be far more patient with Iheanacho and would be accepting of the fact he is in fact young for a striker and has many years to mature. He's already shown flashes of his ability but needs experience and time like we've afforded Chilwell, Ndidi, Gray and Maddison to really show his potential.

23 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

The Slimani purchase was one big balls up. I'm not that convinced he'd score a bucket load even if we did play to his strengths.

Difficult job identifying players who become a total success I guess.

I'm probably on my own wishing we still had Slim to come off the bench.  I think he'd score plenty.  I think there must be some truth in the JV feud or bad attitude rumours we've heard about.  He would be a very useful option.

Btw, where've you been Max Wall and what have you done with John Lennon?

20 minutes ago, murphy said:

I'm probably on my own wishing we still had Slim to come off the bench.  I think he'd score plenty.  I think there must be some truth in the JV feud or bad attitude rumours we've heard about.  He would be a very useful option.

Btw, where've you been Max Wall and what have you done with John Lennon?

You're not alone @murphy. Although I said I'm not convinced he'd score a bucketload, I am convinced he'd score more than the back up forwards we have presently over the course of a season.

As for where I've been, I had a couple of months off. I had to re-evaluate my proclivity for coming onto FT after a few drinks. It makes me more argumentative :whistle: 

The Lennon avatar? @Fox92 pm'd me to say he was sick of being mistaken for me and if I didn't change my avatar, he'd send the Chesterfield massive round to sort me out.

I heeded the warning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, siraaj_lcfc said:

Can't really say that. It's been unfortunate giving what happened when he arrived. Plus he hasn't been given the chance to play at all.

I can say that, he doesn't even make the bench. Ergo, he's a complete and utter waste of money. At least the others managed to score a goal and contribute to league position etc.

Hes in the same dangerous price expectation bracket as slim and musa.Its high for Leicester but would only be at a gamble level for the big six.

What really worries me is most Fans can see that these three are pretty poor or at least overpriced,yet our recruitment Team have had their pants down on each of these signings and Silver .

5 hours ago, murphy said:

I'm probably on my own wishing we still had Slim to come off the bench.  I think he'd score plenty. 

5 hours ago, Max Wall said:

You're not alone @murphy....

And then there were 3.

The guy had a good engine and wasn’t shy in chasing down ...   good header of the ball and we put over so many crosses it’s untrue.