Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shane

Mendy

There's about 5 Mendy threads doing the rounds, so wasn't sure which one to post in but I think that shows the turn around for the man. We don't know what to do with ourselves. These last 3 games he's shown that if he's fit and confident then he's a superb midfielder. He's quite dynamic too and is positive at moving the ball on quickly, something none of our other midfielders excel at. 

He feels like a new signing and it could spell bad news for Silva and Iborra, if he keeps this standard of football.

What I've also enjoyed is he's now done two interviews after games and seems really content and focused to be back here, Puel has got to take credit for that. Him being his captain before at Nice as given us all another crack and he seems to finally be ready to do the business for us. Long may it continue, our only remaining 2016 summer signing.

• Like 2

His career stalled here and he looked lost. Fair play to Puel for giving him a new lease of life and resurrecting his career. Mendy is good on the ball, moves it quickly and defends well. My kind of CDM. If he was 6'2 he would be a total beast of a player.

33 minutes ago, Koke said:

His career stalled here and he looked lost. Fair play to Puel for giving him a new lease of life and resurrecting his career. Mendy is good on the ball, moves it quickly and defends well. My kind of CDM. If he was 6'2 he would be a total beast of a player.

He is 6'2" he just stands really far away.

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, weller54 said:

The Mendy / Ndidi is not the combo we need... Back to the drawing board. 

Agree. It's very boring, little creativity and surely we don't need both of them on the pitch.

Both are very average when it comes to any sort of attempt at an expansive pass.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Agree. It's very boring, little creativity and surely we don't need both of them on the pitch.

Both are very average when it comes to any sort of attempt at an expansive pass.

ur right they offer very little in attack, think he needs to play silva or iborra in the center of both of them. if that means going 3 in the middle i think we need to do it.because we are not creating enough for vardy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bpfox said:

ur right they offer very little in attack, think he needs to play silva or iborra in the center of both of them. if that means going 3 in the middle i think we need to do it.because we are not creating enough for vardy.

This was very evident on Saturday. I was calling for Iborra to come on 2nd half, as we had no one able to put their foot on the ball and pull the strings from midfield, which is essential when building the play. Maddison does it, but much further up the field and when he is swarmed by defenders.

Iborra last season made it look effortless at the back when picking the ball up and starting our attacks. It also means we can control the pace of the game too. Against Bournemouth, we gained possession and then lost it too quickly and it was hard for us to get into a rhythm. Currently, we are far too reliant on Maddison and even he struggles to control the game pace, as everything he does is frantic and attacking. Having a cultured CM is important and I think Iborra should be tried there but in a different system of course. 

• Like 1

Ndidi is best when he's just doing the basics, he needs someone to pass to at CM whos more of a deep lying playmaker; i'm not convinced Mendy is that player. I'd rather see the combo of Ndidi and Iborra atleast till January as some of our best football and results came from this.

Sorry but for me Mendy along with James, King, Silva don't offer enough for us to control games. Once offloaded it would be my no.1 priority position.

• Like 2

Another great performance and fast becoming an integral part of the team! He’s almost like the defensive version of Maddison in that he’s always sweeping up, starting moves and helping to build from the back and always helps the team. I really rate him as a player. 

And please ads tell me someone has a gif of him making that Forest Gump esque run! It was hilarious!

Against weaker opposition who are parking the bus... What about a Mendy and Silva partnership? Mendy is good enough defensively to mop up whilst Silva dictates the play and links up with our attackers. 

I love Wilf but we need some flair in the middle to help unlock deep defences.

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Bloke next to me spent the whole game saying Mendy should be taken off for Diabate because Diabate attacks.

When Shinji came on he complained it wasn't for Mendy. 

Where do these people come from? 

Someone behind me shouted at Gray today for “not doing anything” after being on for TWO minutes. 

Unbelievable Jeff it really is. Speaking of which, Kammy made a random appearance near K1 at the end!

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

Against weaker opposition who are parking the bus... What about a Mendy and Silva partnership? Mendy is good enough defensively to mop up whilst Silva dictates the play and links up with our attackers. 

I would like to see this. Wilf struggles in general play. His tackling is decent but he is a very limited footballer 

5 minutes ago, Shane said:

Do these two players need to be creative though? They should protect the team to give Maddison the licence to drift and control the game, which he did. And as for opening them up, well we scored three and had chances for more. 

If anything he and Ndidi should be culpable for defending and stopping counter attacks the latter of which almost undid us again today. Creativity should in this system come from the fullbacks and forwards behind Vardy. It’s Ghezzal/ Albrighton / Gray for me that limit our creativity. Imagine Mahrez and Maddison together!

I like Silva but Mendy has done more this season for me than Silva since he’s been here. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Do these two players need to be creative though? They should protect the team to give Maddison the licence to drift and control the game, which he did. And as for opening them up, well we scored three and had chances for more. 

If anything he and Ndidi should be culpable for defending and stopping counter attacks the latter of which almost undid us again today. Creativity should in this system come from the fullbacks and forwards behind Vardy. It’s Ghezzal/ Albrighton / Gray for me that limit our creativity. Imagine Mahrez and Maddison together!

I like Silva but Mendy has done more this season for me than Silva since he’s been here. 

Not in Puel's system or in a classic 4-2-3-1 indeed.

They're both there to mop up and give it to the forwards, preferably the 10. No nonsense or any real creativity needed. Problem is that Ndidi's forward passing is not very good and Silva's too lightweight to be a CDM anyway.

Just now, That_Dude said:

Not in Puel's system or in a classic 4-2-3-1 indeed.

They're both there to mop up and give it to the forwards, preferably the 10. No nonsense or any real creativity needed. Problem is that Ndidi's forward passing is not very good and Silva's too lightweight to be a CDM anyway.

IF we still had Mahrez we’d have Mahrez as the forward right / winger with Gray or Albrighton on the other side with Vardy up top and Maddison behind him. Nacho would probably be the one to miss out. 

Anyway it’s not possible now so we make do with what we have! Or maybe bring back Barnes early... ??

41 minutes ago, Shane said:

Silva is hit or miss, and when it’s a miss (which has been rather too often for a player of his supposed pedigree) he’s just woeful...

People complain about Ndidi in “general play” but without his constantly winning the ball, we would have considerablly less of said general play. He needs to work on his passing but frankly it is not as poor as people often moan about (he still completes over 80% of his passes). His basic passing is good enough (and frankly his primary role is to win the ball and quickly hand it off), and he only gets into a fix or gives the ball carelessly away when he tries to be too adventurous, creative or fanciful. Mendy, on the other hand, is more assured with the ball at his feet (even if not terribly creative) but does not quiet have tackling or aerial ability and presence of Wilf. Either way, would like to see one of Ndidi and Mendy paired Iborra depending on the opposition.

Edited by NaijaFox