Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

UEFA Nations League

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

You have overlooked good options like loftus cheek, chamberlain who is on his way back and winks 

if chambo comes back the same player as before his injury then we could be in a seriously good place. loftus cheek isn’t the answer, i don’t think. 

Hate to say it but couldn't really see any improvement on last years performances, and if anything, at times we looked worse.

Holland did well to win and essentially capitalised on a couple of diabolical school boy errors. 

Overall, this England team is perhaps the most exciting one we've seen for years, but for me, there are some huge question marks about some of the regulars. For all the goals he has managed to score for both club and country, I just still can't get round to really liking Kane. I think he's a good striker but it feels like we are perhaps more dynamic without him. Sterling also blows very hot and cold and players like J Lingz and Dele are incredibly inconsistent and have been off the pace at their respective clubs.

It frustrates me as well that Rice and Delph both start but there isn't any room for Maddison in the squad. Whether Maddison was to be included or not, I still think we lack the kind of midfield player that can help control the tempo of the game and move us forward decisively. We really are lacking someone of the Scholes/Lampard/Gerrard ilk imo. In addition to that, our forward players really need to provide more of a threat, our only goal was from a penalty again today and our over reliance on set pieces should be worrying. 

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

"England lost the war and lost the VAR"

WTF are you on about Tyler. Go and retire you dinosaur

I really hate him. Not often I say that about someone I don't know.

The midfield he picked is just horrendous and anyone could've called it at the time. When you've got one of the brightest young midfielders on the planet playing for the opposition it only emphasises how weak we actually are there. To not play Henderson was an error.

We were awful. We were second best pretty much throughout and if Holland could finish they'd have thrashed us. Memphis Depay contrived to be just about the worst player on the pitch in spite of the defensive howlers from us.

Although on those howlers, the midfield shouldn't get away with it either - they aren't good enough off the ball, Holland and Croatia have done the same thing to us although we didn't implode quite as badly last year.

There's a huge opportunity in our midfield and I hope Maddison's the one to take it.

9 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

You can't pin that on the style of play tbh, it all comes down to extremely poor decision making from specific individuals.  No system can ever fully account for that.

The kids I coach are 7 years of age,

i get the logic but at such I young age I’m not convinced,

we play at a good level and when we play teams of the highest level you get caught out because there the opposition are onto you as soon as it leaves the keepers foot,

in these type of games I prefer my keeper to go long As to not leave us defensively exposed 

I think the job Southgate is doing is a little bit puel-like, he's done well to an extent but I think he's lacking the ability to take us to the next level. Focus now on the euros and bring in the young talented midfielders and see what they can do. Need players who can get hold off the ball else we'll always struggle to beat the better sides. 

A fully fit squad and last night would have been very different, but that is our biggest problem. We have the players to play this system, but not many of them. We only have one central midfielder who is comfortable in possession when pressed and that is Harry Winks. Without him we struggle to play out from the back and the whole system becomes a struggle.

I can't blame Southgate for much last night. He was right to rest the CL final players and he had no choice but to continue with the system that has served us so well since the summer. Also, unlike the WC Semi, he changed the shape in the second half to try and get a foothold back in the game and it worked quite well. Without VAR we would have won that match, albeit undeservingly.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I find it really frustrating that all cameras for the offside decisions seem to be angled rather than a straight line. 

Shouldn't matter though. The VAR offside line is correct and he was offside. I'm not sure why people are questioning it.

• Like 1

Think we either revert to a 3back for the third place, or play Henderson to drop deep between Maguire and Stones to carry the ball up. 

We drop rice and delph and bring Alli and Henderson in, TAA for Walker too. 

Barkley And Alli then give us the ability to play further up and create a pass. Lingard is an alternative.

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

A fully fit squad and last night would have been very different, but that is our biggest problem. We have the players to play this system, but not many of them. We only have one central midfielder who is comfortable in possession when pressed and that is Harry Winks. Without him we struggle to play out from the back and the whole system becomes a struggle.

I can't blame Southgate for much last night. He was right to rest the CL final players and he had no choice but to continue with the system that has served us so well since the summer. Also, unlike the WC Semi, he changed the shape in the second half to try and get a foothold back in the game and it worked quite well. Without VAR we would have won that match, albeit undeservingly.

Is Maddison not fit then?

He’s much better than Ross fookin Barkley and far more dangerous going forward.

Last night was clear. There was literally no-one in our midfield who could link up play between defence and attack. They had those players.

Maddison would have got Sterling far more involved in the game and why Delph ever wears an England shirt is beyond me

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Is Maddison not fit then?

He’s much better than Ross fookin Barkley and far more dangerous going forward.

Last night was clear. There was literally no-one in our midfield who could link up play between defence and attack. They had those players.

Maddison would have got Sterling far more involved in the game and why Delph ever wears an England shirt is beyond me

I don't think Maddison can play as a CM, he is too lightweight. The system we have in place is a DM and two CM's.

One thing I hate about VAR is that it's supposed to eradicate "clear and obvious errors".

How anyone can call the Lingard offside a clear and obvious error by the linesman is anyone's guess.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

One thing I hate about VAR is that it's supposed to eradicate "clear and obvious errors".

How anyone can call the Lingard offside a clear and obvious error by the linesman is anyone's guess.

Well it was a clear error because the technology proved it to be an error.

Where do you literally draw the line? Don't overrule offsides that are within inches of being onside? You have to draw the line somewhere and that somewhere is that you are either onside or offside. Lingard was offside therefore it was right to disallow it.

For anything subjective I agree that it should only be obvious errors. The Swiss penalty to the other night was too minor and to be given.

2 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Well it was a clear error because the technology proved it to be an error.

Where do you literally draw the line? Don't overrule offsides that are within inches of being onside? You have to draw the line somewhere and that somewhere is that you are either onside or offside. Lingard was offside therefore it was right to disallow it.

For anything subjective I agree that it should only be obvious errors. The Swiss penalty to the other night was too minor and to be given.

I'd probably argue that a distance of maybe 15cm should be used in a similar way that umpires call is used in cricket.

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

Shouldn't matter though. The VAR offside line is correct and he was offside. I'm not sure why people are questioning it.

I understand that. I think if you had a camera square on, it would have been far more clear he was off. Then looking from an angle. 

12 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I understand that. I think if you had a camera square on, it would have been far more clear he was off. Then looking from an angle. 

I don't think that makes a difference as the lines angled so it's straight when taking the camera's perspective into account.

If that makes sense (prolly doesn't)

You draw a straight line on a straight view it'd show exactly the same.  

23 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I'd probably argue that a distance of maybe 15cm should be used in a similar way that umpires call is used in cricket.

How do you measure the 15cm though? What if something is borderline 15cm? You then have the same problems. I can hear it now "There's no way that was 15cm! It Looked more like 16cm!".

13 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

So we also topped a group with Spain and Croatia to get here...

True I was referring to the qualification to the WC and then the WC dream draws....I put a lot less importance on the UEFA league groups given the low significance it has.

Our defence is woeful and midfield not much better, I really see little progress.