Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest seanfox778

Everton Home Pre Match 06/10

As crazy as this sounds this might be the most important game of our season, if not the second most important! Why? Well realistically if 7th place is the best we can achieve (which is most likely though Man United's meltdown gives us hope) then beating the teams that are also competing for that position is pivotal. Watford, Wolves and even West Ham might also be in contention but given Everton finished 8th last year they are the most likely team to be fighting it out with us. If we had beaten Everton away last season we'd have got 8th instead of them (this was the famous game where Mahrez went missing the day before the match).

Everton have been very inconsistent this season, but that's quite understandable given their recent change of manager and scatter gun transfer policy. That said they have good players, in fact probably in terms of direct comparisons they might even have better than us if all of their players are fit. But that said, I think there back 4 isn't the best (Mina has not started for them yet) and perhaps most importantly of all they don't have a clinical striker like we do in Jamie Vardy. For those reasons I think we will just shade it with a 1-0 victory but I expect a tough game here and we need to be on it to win. I think the battle in the middle of the park will determine the game, and Mendy / Ndidi / Maddison should beat Davies / Gueye / Sigurdsson.

Just one word of caution for us. Last season at Goodison Park Walcott was in great form and with the way we play, there is an obvious area to exploit behind Chilwell given how far he pushes up. If I was Marco Silva, I'd tell my team to play it directly on the diagonal behind Chilwell every time we turn the ball over as Walcott is one of the few players that Chilwell won't be able to catch if he gets a head start. As a result I wouldn't be surprised if Chilwell is told to hold his trademark runs just a bit at least in the first half. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Mate. Reasonable player has a choice between us and Everton, will nearly always go to Everton. They are bigger than us. 

Narh that's just note really true anymore. 

There's so many variables. Prior relationship with coach, wages offered, bonuses, length of contract offered, what mood he happens to be in on a day he gets a tour round the club, position he's offered, style of play he prefers, game time he's offered, etc. 

That's just scratching the surface. You'd have to go a long, long way before you got to the historical prestige of the club. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

There's so many variables. Prior relationship with coach, wages offered, bonuses, length of contract offered, what mood he happens to be in on a day he gets a tour round the club, position he's offered, style of play he prefers, game time he's offered, etc. 

That's just scratching the surface. You'd have to go a long, long way before you got to the historical prestige of the club. 

Gilfey sigurdson 

1 minute ago, broughtonblue said:

Gilfey sigurdson 

And as mentioned, there's so many other factors they'd consider before club stature - Everton wouldn't just land any player we're also in for, nor would we be able to just snipe any deal they were putting together. Hell, Perieria chose us over Spurs if the media is to be believed because of past history with Puel - stature isn't how most players pick their moves.

19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Respectfully disagree. Toss up between us and Everton, I’d expect Everton to win out 90% of the time. But that’s just my opinion. 

Not unless it’s for the very top clubs and Everton aren’t that. Most foreign players have little knowledge of the distant past and care even less so the fact Everton won the title in the 80s is not going to be important.

Anyway I sense some excitement, not to mention momentum building, so our fans will create a good atmosphere next week and I’d say we we’re in with a good shout.