Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Nathaniel Clyne - Reported January target

This makes a lot of sense to me. He’s a very solid option and at 27 should be coming into his peak years. He would also give Ricardo a lot more of a licence to go forwards. That right side would be very good with Clyne and Ricardo.

The only thing I’m concerned with his the potential price tag that Liverpool could charge. Even with a year left on his contract, he’s an English international at 27 at a Premier League club, they don’t come cheap anymore.

2 hours ago, mod hero said:

I do t think he is but Puel does, that’s why he bombed Simpson out

Simpson has been dropped because he's rubbish. Not sure if you've seen him play this year but he hasn't even looked good against other team's 12 year olds.

I can't tell you what Puel thought but most people on here thought he'd be a decent RWB. However it seems that his defence is poor for the prem, he's being played by Puel as RAM, not as a defender. surprised you didn't notice that.

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

At 31, Simpson is only going to get worse. He isn't the same fullback from 2/3 years ago. 

He has 2 good years left in him as a defender if he is treated with respect and plays most games.He needs to be managed and would stop the centrebacks from getting exposed.

2 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

He has 2 good years left in him as a defender if he is treated with respect and plays most games.He needs to be managed and would stop the centrebacks from getting exposed.

If he's still great, then why isn't he playing in cup games or well for the u23's? 

He's past his best and isn't the standard we need attacking or defending.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clever Fox said:

I can't believe we're not giving Johnson a chance. He done well pre season and had a good future ahead of him. We've given him a new contract that must mean we value him to deliver.

He strong and good in the air.

Johnson doesn't want to play RB. From the looks of it, neither does Ricardo.

3 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I can't believe we're not giving Johnson a chance. He done well pre season and had a good future ahead of him. We've given him a new contract that must mean we value him to deliver.

He strong and good in the air.

Risky he can make the step up, but he has shown promise and i would like to see him at least in a cup game or 2. 

Does he want to play that position though?

Edited by Suzie the Fox
Brucey beat me to the last part

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

Johnson doesn't want to play RB. From the looks of it, neither does Ricardo.

4 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Risky he can make the step up, but he has shown promise and i would like to see him at least in a cup game or 2. 

Does he want to play that position though?

Yes, He'd prefer to play CB but I'm sure he'd be delighted to get a chance to play in the team. Then push home his quest for a C B role. He's played RB for the 23s for quite a while now.

I can't see what's not to like.

1 hour ago, Fox seen in Norwich said:

Should have resolved the RB position in the summer.. poor we didn’t

Clyne I’d take yes

Well we tried and did spend over 20 million on a supposed right back, unfortunatley he turns out to be a very bad defender.

7 minutes ago, reynard said:

Well we tried and did spend over 20 million on a supposed right back, unfortunatley he turns out to be a very bad defender.

He did alright at Porto and Nice as a full back, probably a shock to the system coming in next to Morgan or Evans and not suited to the amount of covering they need.

11 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

He did alright at Porto and Nice as a full back, probably a shock to the system coming in next to Morgan or Evans and not suited to the amount of covering they need.

Bit of a stepup though and currently looks lost defensively. He doesn't seem to have even the basic defensive instincts I would expect a player who cost as much as he did to have. Going forwards he's generally ok but we surely bought him as an attacking right back?

Edited by reynard

He's a very good player who has been unlucky with injuries. He'd certainly be welcomed by me.

However, I'm not sure we should sign him because I feel like it's accepting that Ricardo is not a right back (so why did we sign him then?) and though Amartey never convinces me given the young age of our team I prefer to keep with what we have or promote a young player from the development squad instead of signing another player. If our strategy is to build up a team of young players together for a number of years then I think we should stick to that plan rather than change things mid-season. If right-back is still an issue at the end of the season, then sure maybe it's time to rethink things.

• Like 1