Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Claude Puel reaches first anniversary at Leicester - but why does he always feel so close to the sack?

If he sorted out the CB pairing, he might get a few more on his side.  Also, he has been hampered by the recruitment nightmares of summer 2016. 

I would really like him to succeed as he has done many good things.

• Like 2

I don't care if the players don't like him,lots of people don't like their boss, doesn't prove anything. I never pick the team for him or say which formation he should play,that's his job and I'd have even less respect for him if he was influenced by the fans.

If performances and results that bother me. I keep heading that we're improving but I just don't see it. 

Last season it was " we're in the European places,what's the problem? " then it was. " 9th is a good finish to the season". Now it's "we're in the top half" soon it'll be " as long as we're not in the relegation places". It seems to me we're in a slow decline.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I don't care if the players don't like him,lots of people don't like their boss, doesn't prove anything. I never pick the team for him or say which formation he should play,that's his job and I'd have even less respect for him if he was influenced by the fans.

If performances and results that bother me. I keep heading that we're improving but I just don't see it. 

Last season it was " we're in the European places,what's the problem? " then it was. " 9th is a good finish to the season". Now it's "we're in the top half" soon it'll be " as long as we're not in the relegation places". It seems to me we're in a slow decline.

The previous two managers were sacked for being in the bottom three were they not (or at least nailed on to be in it)? You are saying we're in decline based an just one season, where there were ups and downs. We started lower than we are now.

Agree with the first two points though.

58 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

John Percy got all his info via Mickey Walsh (brother of Steve Walsh) when Steve was at Leicester. He doesn’t quite have the inside info now that he did have. Hence fewer stories. 

Explains a lot if true. 

I just wish these jurno's would drop this now and feck of. Our owners would have acted by now if true. Only last week Maddison was saying how good things are on the training ground. Imo this is all from social media. Fan discontent on here twitter an FB. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sylofox said:

Explains a lot if true. 

I just wish these jurno's would drop this now and feck of. Our owners would have acted by now if true. Only last week Maddison was saying how good things are on the training ground. Imo this is all from social media. Fan discontent on here twitter an FB. 

He may well be genuine and telling the truth but playing devils advocate but what else is he gonna say?!

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

He may well be genuine and telling the truth but playing devils advocate but what else is he gonna say?!

Does he have to say anything. He was talking about his England call up. Did he have to go so deep about Leicester. 

Yes some players will be pissed possibly Simpson King even Wes as they know their days are numbered. 

Don't mean a player revolutions round the next corner. 

I really think this player shite is being over baked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Except for the title winning season, our team are always going to bottom half. Even 2 season ago we only able to be 9th because of new manager bounce. When the effect gone, we are heading down again. 

So the top half are decline for you? Where's your mind? 

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

- Wasted a golden opportunity to get into Europe. 

Did he? Was it a target set out for him. Or did he come in and lay his cards on the table. 

Did he say to the owners the future is my target not Europe next season. We have a world Cup that will hinder us. We could have long term injuries from it. Then extra games in Europe could cause more problem with a big impact in the prem. 

Also I want to see all my squad play to work out who we keep who we get shot of and what we need. 

But hey if you want Europe and next season it goes tits up don't say you where not warned. 

Personally I think Europe would have been bad for us this season. 

• Like 3

Good article, broadly positive I thought, trying very hard to be balanced and represent many opinions, including his own. To answer @UpTheLeagueFox, I personally don't doubt the sincerity of what you say and write, even if I don't always agree with your opinions and interpretations, but I will always admire you for never ducking when you come here - I realise (and I'm sure lots of others do too) that you are under no obligation to contribute here, so it is appreciated.

• Like 2

I would like to see Puel promote some of our u23s to the first team squad.

When they return from injury, Ndukwu & Hughes should be given playing time in the FA Cup and then progress from there. 

It could even be argued that Ndukwu should push for a first 11 place given our lack of attacking options.. We shouldn’t be having to play a RB on the wing.

Choudhury should be on the bench atleast. Wilf hasn’t performed well this season, so Iborra and Choudhury should be competing for his spot in my opinion.

Edited by Shane
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Does anyone actually know why Appleton was moved on? Still seems like a bit of a random move that hasn't really helped things (nor hindered them in fairness). 

Quite simply neither party aligned in their opinions. There wasn’t anything more in it. Appleton did as a whole find the club frustrating 

8 minutes ago, Shane said:

I would like to see Puel promote some of our u23s to the first team squad.

When they return from injury, Ndukwu & Hughes should be given playing time in the FA Cup and then progress from there. 

It could even be argued that Ndukwu should push for a first 11 place given our lack of attacking options.. We shouldn’t be having to play a RB on the wing.

Choudhury should be on the bench atleast. Wilf hasn’t performed well this season, so Iborra and Choudhury should be competing for his spot in my opinion.

Ndukwu has never really impressed imo & Hughes isn’t any better than Evans or soynucu & choudhury looks alright but not premier league standard. Puel plays those players and watch him get abused for not taking the cup seriously. Got enOugh stick for playing Chilwell last season.

Edited by OhYesNdidi

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

pretty much agree, I can't work out if there's underlying issues and puel is rectifying them slowly, or if there's serious potential and puel is dragging it down, time will tell....if he gets it.

9 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

John Percy: There was alleged friction in the dressing room and around the training ground over Puel’s methods, training regime and team selections, with one source claiming there were “almost daily problems” due to player discontent.

---

"I'll only believe it when John Percy writes about it."

Since posters worked out your source is Jak, and Jak is a serial malcontent and you again, again and again want to breath life into your story I can't help but read your posts with a sense of dreaded predicatibility.

And as Brucry pointed out, even your quote is in the past tense. And since the very positive opinions of Puel spoken by Chilwell, Gray? And since all our important players have signed new contracts after being managed by Puel for almost a year?

Naaah, let's talk about your source's discount. Let's quote some old tweets.   Let's not even talk about the tactical, the selection, defensive problems. Let's come back to the same old point ignoring any counter evidence. Your yarn won't spin itself eh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Having been in the job for a full year and having played 10 games (admittedly not 10 league games) I think that’s enough time to evaluate the manager. Personally I’d probably give him a B Minus grade. He passes but doesn’t impress. And that’s why his appointment is always in question. 7th was there to be taken last season but we squandered it. We’ve been ok this season but a win against Everton and a point from either Man U or Liverpool would have us a lot more excited. 

I think the best way to evaluate Puel is to list both pros and cons to what he’s done:  

Pros

- Changed our primary style to possession football with the stats to back it up. 

- Retained our threat on the break (goals in the Huddersfield and Everton games are recent examples). 

- Put an emphasis on youth especially English players. Three players called up for the national team recently. 

- Our scoring is pretty decent. Scored in every league game so far this season. Vardy got 20 goals last season. 

- Got is a top half finish and to the quarters of both cups. Only lost to the eventual winners of both. 

- Got rid of the “deadwood” such as Musa, Slimani, Ulloa. 

Cons

- For the entire 12 months barring a one month spell last January our defence has been shit. 

- Signed three new CBs but plays the same 2. Defence still shakey. Always seem to concede first. 

- Square pegs in round holes. The Ricardo situation as a primary example. 

- Too much chopping and changing for many. 

If you sum that up I think it’s overall net positive but for a team that won the league not too long ago seems underwhelming. I’ll also happily say that after the home defeat against West Ham I thought he should have gone. But overall I think he’s a decent to good choice for where we are now. Developing young players and changing our style will take time and there’s been progress on both.

Nicely done mate, agree with pretty much all of that.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Did he? Was it a target set out for him. Or did he come in and lay his cards on the table. 

Did he say to the owners the future is my target not Europe next season. We have a world Cup that will hinder us. We could have long term injuries from it. Then extra games in Europe could cause more problem with a big impact in the prem. 

Also I want to see all my squad play to work out who we keep who we get shot of and what we need. 

But hey if you want Europe and next season it goes tits up don't say you where not warned. 

Personally I think Europe would have been bad for us this season. 

I agree that European football would not have been good for us this season for the reasons you listed. However, the owners at the start of last season when Shakespeare was in charge did target European football as the goal:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-target-european-qualification-182484

On that basis, and given that Burnley got it instead of us, I'd argue it was a "wasted opportunity."

Overall though I think Puel has done alright. I'd obviously like to see us improve performances and results but if you compare some of Shakespeare's final games (Huddersfield and West Brom come to mind) compared to how we play now, I'd say that giant strides forward have been made.

• Like 3

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

I agree that European football would not have been good for us this season for the reasons you listed. However, the owners at the start of last season when Shakespeare was in charge did target European football as the goal:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-target-european-qualification-182484

On that basis, and given that Burnley got it instead of us, I'd argue it was a "wasted opportunity."

Overall though I think Puel has done alright. I'd obviously like to see us improve performances and results but if you compare some of Shakespeare's final games (Huddersfield and West Brom come to mind) compared to how we play now, I'd say that giant strides forward have been made.

It was definitely a wasted opportunity, so were the way we approached both quarter final cup games. Opportunities missed, simple as that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Having been in the job for a full year and having played 10 games (admittedly not 10 league games) I think that’s enough time to evaluate the manager. Personally I’d probably give him a B Minus grade. He passes but doesn’t impress. And that’s why his appointment is always in question. 7th was there to be taken last season but we squandered it. We’ve been ok this season but a win against Everton and a point from either Man U or Liverpool would have us a lot more excited. 

I think the best way to evaluate Puel is to list both pros and cons to what he’s done:  

Pros

- Changed our primary style to possession football with the stats to back it up. 

- Retained our threat on the break (goals in the Huddersfield and Everton games are recent examples). 

- Put an emphasis on youth especially English players. Three players called up for the national team recently. 

- Our scoring is pretty decent. Scored in every league game so far this season. Vardy got 20 goals last season. 

- Got is a top half finish and to the quarters of both cups. Only lost to the eventual winners of both. 

- Got rid of the “deadwood” such as Musa, Slimani, Ulloa. 

Cons

- For the entire 12 months barring a one month spell last January our defence has been shit. 

- Signed three new CBs but plays the same 2. Defence still shakey. Always seem to concede first. 

- Square pegs in round holes. The Ricardo situation as a primary example. 

- Too much chopping and changing for many. 

If you sum that up I think it’s overall net positive but for a team that won the league not too long ago seems underwhelming. I’ll also happily say that after the home defeat against West Ham I thought he should have gone. But overall I think he’s a decent to good choice for where we are now. Developing young players and changing our style will take time and there’s been progress on both.

Too much chopping and changes yet you want more changes in cb ASAP 

Im little bit confused here

36 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Agreed to a point but surely the target would change given our position and the managers plan going forward. 

29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It was definitely a wasted opportunity, so were the way we approached both quarter final cup games. Opportunities missed, simple as that.

I don't think Europe was ever on the cards as a must....This is a fans myth that certain circles want to build up,to qualify their own various opinions.

It's ridiculous and even futile to carry on harping about it...

Same has the Real  life BS. on player discontent...A lot of you have got so use to crap soaps on TV,you need some story at Crossroads level to get

through the week.....Worse than women arguing at a bus queue,and telling all all and Sundry Benny must be an imbecile...!!:crylaugh:

40 minutes ago, Hanan96 said:

Too much chopping and changes yet you want more changes in cb ASAP 

Im little bit confused here

I said "for many" but I didn't say for me :)

Puel is forced to change it tonight anyway, so let's see what happens.

I would say one thing though. Last season when we played Dragovic and Maguire (and Amartey at right-back) is when we've looked the best defensively under Puel. But we didn't sign Drago and played Wes instead. That was a bit mistifiying given we looked better and had better defensive stats when Drago was in the team.

Edited by StriderHiryu

10 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I don't think Europe was ever on the cards as a must....This is a fans myth that certain circles want to build up,to qualify their own various opinions.

It's ridiculous and even futile to carry on harping about it...

Same has the Real  life BS. on player discontent...A lot of you have got so use to crap soaps on TV,you need some story at Crossroads level to get

through the week.....Worse than women arguing at a bus queue,and telling all all and Sundry Benny must be an imbecile...!!:crylaugh:

Gotta +1 this post if only for the reason 90% of Ft are lost and have no fecking clue what your talking about lol lol lol lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Since posters worked out your source is Jak etc etc etc

Worked out? Took a guess you mean.

For the record, I've interviewed the bloke once and said hello in passing in the media mixed zone maybe a handful of times after a game. (I say hello to a number of people in the mixed zone after games). I'm not even sure I've seen him to say hello this season. I don't have his number, he doesn't have mine. I've never seen or spoken to him outside of that.

There are people - not just players - who are in the LCFC camp and closely connected to it who speak privately to those on the outside.

Hope that clears it up.