Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Claude Puel reaches first anniversary at Leicester - but why does he always feel so close to the sack?

23 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

This game sums up Puel’s reign so far for me. Delightful first half but not clinical enough. Followed by an inexplicably poor second half. Like seriously what happened to change our mentality and ability to pass a ball 5 yards that much?

Its coz he is outwitted by any reasonable manager. He kniws a lot of good stuff... and tries to do the right thing.... but he is not an inspiring figure.  He is not the messiah. ... let's move on

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Why does next game feel like a must win for him (again?)

Percy was spot on, whether you are puel in or out, it does seem he's always close to the sack.

Hope they sack him, maybe then people will realise this isn't some super amazing squad without issue other than the manager. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Am I only the only one that’s neither Puel in or Puel our? Never been so indecisive about a manager than I am with this guy. I admire many aspects of what he’s trying to achieve but some of the mid game implosions are baffling and a real worry

I'm definitely with the view expressed on here that we'll see the fruits of Puel's work under a different manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just don't know what to think being perfectly honest. Aside from the winning run of four or five games early on in Puel's reign, there's not been much to shout about. We have a youthful side which'll come along nicely with the right guidance but game by game I'm starting to think Puel's not the right man. I can't remember the last manager we've had no connection with or enthusiasm about, certainly pre-Pearson.

More importantly, I'm often baffled by the starting XI or substitutions made. every single week. I don't bother listening to any of his press conferences either but then again that's not why he's employed and it's not exactly a reason to sack him, just a bit of a grumble on my part.

Trying to be balanced, we've just lost to Arsenal (who're on a fantastic winning run) and we're sat in 11th, pretty much split for the season - 15 scored, 15 conceded, 4 wins and 5 losses - its not really that bad yet I'm not convinced at all by Puel. 12 months on from his appointment the jury is still well and truly out. I think ultimately I'm just not convinced, even when we win I'm still doubting where we're heading or how we're trying to do it. Are we playing good football? In spells, yes. Am I confident for the rest of the season? No.

My gut instinct says sack him but I'm trying to level this with the 'lets give the manager time' approach as its tiresome going on the managerial merry-go-round (especially re-hashed Premier League has-beens). Who would we appoint, realistically? I guess we'd have to take a punt on someone highly-rated in Europe but not in the elite bracket, possibly Paulo Fonseca at Shakhtar but that's a massive gamble in itself.

Genuinely intruiged to read other people's thoughts on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Am I only the only one that’s neither Puel in or Puel our? Never been so indecisive about a manager than I am with this guy. I admire many aspects of what he’s trying to achieve but some of the mid game implosions are baffling and a real worry

I’ve been struggling to put it in to words but I think you’ve summed my feelings up there too. 

I desperately want him to do well. I say it every week. I like the changes he’s made. But **** me it was criminal how he handled Vardy today. 

Either Vardy is lying to him, which shows no trust/manager player relationship.

Or he genuinely thinks it’s okay to take our best creative player off when our striker is struggling to walk.

It’s worrying for sure! The substitutions today were abysmal. Albrigthon had played in three different positions within five minutes of coming on!! 

Always have been firmly Puel in but that was my fourth live game this season and he’s made the same mistakes in every one....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sylofox said:

As far as I'm concerned anyone picking Puel up on that is an idiot. Bad ref and shite marking. All three goals where lose men not being picked up. Poor defending. 

And playing with ten men for 90 minutes didn’t contribute? 

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We were far too cautious vs Chelsea, seemed to let them play for an hour before we even bothered to go forward but then again I was horridly hungover from my stag do and it's a bit hazy. I seem to recall being deeply unimpressed with how we approached the game. It was also very cold.

Persona is a big thing in football though, a lot of people say they don't care but it's much harder to keep giving a player or manager more time and chances if you've got no rapport or bond with them. Puel has done absolutely nothing to endere himself to the fans, some people can and some can't. Those who can't will struggle more so.

Pearson had it in a big way. And not just if you rearrange the letters!

• Like 1

Good post @Frost I share most of your worries.

As Paddy said we have this worrying tendency to fall apart. I want Puel to succeed but it's been a year since he's been here and we're still having the same basic problems - with the defense, with the midfield, and now even in the attack it seems.

Defensively it doesn't matter how many DMs we play, every time the opposing team catches us on the counter we collapse like a house of cards. This isn't entirely to players being young or/and experienced. This is something they should be working on with the manager and improving, yet I don't see any clear signs of lasting improvement.Every time we concede, the panic kicks in. At times our players look like they are clueless, they don't know where to pass, who to play ball to, they hoof it, lose their heads.

I like watching Maguire as the playmaker, but he's not supposed to be one. It just looks desperate and mind numbing, he was like our last creative resort after Puel took Maddison off leaving us with defensive minded anti-creative Mendy and Wilf who are unable to play one pass forward, hold the ball or win a foul... and Maguire as it usually goes, tried to take it all on his shoulders and be the creative midfielder - when there was none on the pitch anymore.... Whenever we are losing, this seems to be a recurring theme. Maguire charging upfield, our full backs and wingers (like Chilwell and Ghezzal today) trying to take on the whole opposing team and losing the ball in consequence. Complete loss of any composure, we stop resembling a team and start looking like headless chickens running around.

It's not "boring", it's just disappointing not to see a noticeable progress after a year. I wouldn't mind lack of creativity in midfield and attack this much if we were solid in defense, but we are still far from it, it seems. Puel was supposed to be the defensive manager but we're collapsing and leaking goals just as we did two, five, ten months ago. I've been watching West Ham games this season (their goalie plays for my NT) as well and to me Pellegrini in two months made more improvement in their mentality than Puel in a year at Leicester.

As for today's game with Arsenal, I don't buy this 'they are superior team', 'it was inevitable' 'big boys' (and so on) logic. We were the better team for 1/3 of the game, then after scoring it seemed like we conveniently opted to wait and see what happens. We had a rare oportunity to win there or at least get a point from the weakest Arsenal team in a while. We can blame it on the blind and biased ref / or being unlucky (Nacho hitting the post) but the way we collapsed in the second half was, to me, telling. I dont care if it's 1-3 or 1-6, but we at least should have a go when we're conceding, but Puel took our only creative midfielder off, while leaving Vardy (who had his worst game in a while - Maddison even had to do pressing for him!) on. Most of the games I have no idea what is our game plan, if we have any.

I was Puel out since February or so (with a similar gut feeling), but after last season ended I though maybe the Puel in people have a point and we should be patient. I gave him a benefit of doubt hoping when he will get to sign his new players he will steady the ship and the grass will gradually become greener... And I'm still as doubtful as I was months ago. I think what he lacks most is the comunnication skills. And it's not about the boring pressers, I mean the manager to player communication and man management. Maybe he even has his vision and game plan, but just lack the skills to implement it. When I see him on the touchline, he too often seems lost as if he was clueless (not to mention his changes which are baffling more often than not, like today). It's not that our players are shit or out of form as some suggest. To me they are as good or better as Watford, Bournemouth, Everton (obviously nowhere near Wolvealona, but honestly who is) players. And players' disposition, especially mental disposition, also depends on the manager. I know most of them are good football players yet too often they strike me as lacking confidence and belief in their skills. Even those who were our key players in recent seasons seem to have these issues.

Before the summer break I said let's give him time till December and now comes that decisive period when he should win the 'must win' games and by doing so prove the doubters like me wrong. I hope soon we will see more of a cunning fox than a toothless and clueless one... Because for how long can the jury be out.

Edited by Chester Dontlie
  • Like 3

No idea on him anymore tbh, can't make my mind up, I keep flip-flopping. Yeah give him time with the youngsters, playing a different way and all that but some of his decisions are bewildering and the whole set up under him just looks wrong, it just doesn't feel right to me. 

Idk I don't want another mid-season sacking but the way I see this season going, I'd be happy to get rid at the end of the season.

We have just played Arsenal ...A team,sorry a squad full of quality,on their own turf. A club who even in our title season got the double,like they

always have since 1973...

last night,we had them rocking....We had no bench to even match any quality they could produce...

the 1st 15 minutes of the 2nd half,they played Keep ball,like in their old best days.We couldn't produce anything cos we simply,

never had the ball. They pulled an inexperienced team all over the place...and whether some accept it or not,they were fking good!!!

Nothing,absolutely nothing we or Puel could of done,would of changed that difference in quality and football nouse!!!

Out team and bench,are a mid-table team,with mid-table quality. If we want to change that we need 2-4 yrs of rebuild,with

at least £250-300 million on the table.Our owners have dished out quite a few million,and seen it squandered.....

Maddison,Maguire are the only buys that have yet been shown to have some High PL potential...

The youngsters chosen from within,or bought in,are still progressing,but at the moment  not anywhere near,the level of Arsenal.

How Arsenal regrouped,and the last 5 minutes of the 1st half played,we just don't have that skill-set within us.

Great how we caught them on the hop,and we played probably our best football,and should of been given better support from the officials...

Missed chances are part of any game,but we did create at least,and had Arsenal worried..The difference was not 2 giant managers proving

Their tactical awareness and gumbtion....One and only one had with a reshuffle and use from the Bench Wclass top quality players,with the confidence of a long game winning run behind them.

We have no Maddison cover,plus he still can't do A PL 90minutes.

Albrighton is still a good player,could start...but with our team,can't turn it around himself,against such...on this forum last night an heavy underrated Arsenal...

Posts last night seemed to want to magic in ideas,fitness,resources and a quality,we at the moment just don't have the quality for

.mythical dreams,expecting Top 5-7 sustained performances. We are what we are...That title year advantages gained were ruined and lost by another regime(s)

We as a club have decided to lean towards our internal and including bought in Youth,while hoping to re-kindle some experience players into the squad.

It's a work in progress where,inconsistencies through the squad and management/coaching staff still will have to be  learned and experienced....

we are a bloody long way from competing against or with any top 6-7 team on their own turf for 90 minutes..I

That quality gap has widened even in the last 2 seasons,well after our title win!!!

That is a fact and will be any middle- of -the- table- managers quest/fight/holy -grail to balance out that

honest expectation and quality differences..

Last few posts through various threads,seem to be spitting on the thought of mid-table,and portrayed has an horrible exsistence....

Get real,because Leicester city football club may have extended ambitions,but that top 6 position has become harder due to the last few seasons where financial differences, has become vast.

This season can only be seen has top 12-8tn,showing hopefully  improved performances..Unless we have a miracle couple of buys in January!!!

Those differences are giving us a  showing of top 1-4,3-5, & 5-6, financial/quality high roller variables   with Clubs like Spurs/Arsenal plus maybe Everton will not have the top 3 financial clout, just like we don't have Anywhere near the top 6 finances and rescources.

Though we are better off than some,the difference in quality from 20th to 8th will not have

the same gap variation than to the top 1-6 teams   in financial and quality differences.

Our squad is still missing an high % of quality,around the whole squad,and what cover can we rely on!!!!

Maddison,Chilwell,Maguire lose form and have injuries, is the cover now,this season adequate....??

ndidi is mis-firing,Mendy is not progressing from season-starts potential.Now after this Arsenal frustrating loss,can

Our players show through these next appointed games with our nearest competitors,that we are best of the rest.....

and turn a possible 14th into a top 8...

Everton not Arsenal was our first marker,we slipped and so our stories of 'could ofs '.... were extended.

The run into Christmas is vital,on both results and performances,or my own said Puel-revolution will be scarperred.

But despite that long run,I will measure in game grouping of 5s....

The team made us happy and content for 45 minutes,then the Arsenal-bogey(quality) kicked in.

Who expected even those minutes??? Revolution lost a skirmish...shit  happens!!! We fight for another day!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

Stand back... There's aways an arc to the story.  Eg.  Whatever good nige it was always going to crumble... thiugh no one predicted the bangkok incident.

There is no deep love for claud. He does not inspire loyalty or admiration.  He is a good guy with some good ideas.  Tactically he is very poor.  It is only a matter of time now until the crowd and the board mive against him. 

He is never far from the sack.... coz he has never impressed

Probably because of how many totally baffling decisions he makes, in terms of selection, tactics and substitutions.

Like many others I keep flip-flopping. I wouldn't have minded had they got rid in the summer, they didn't so I'm well prepared to give him time, I like the youth he has brought through and performances like Newcastle were good - then you get Everton after. Then you get a superb half hour followed by a collapse. It's bizarre, it feels close to coming together but also with an expectation it never will.

I do get the feeling the owners are happy though.

Edited by MattP

Actually think we could do with a bit more of the boring added back into the side lol 

I think he’s panicked and taken the reigns off this season to please fans, but hasn’t really worked out how to manage the defensive side of things.

I love N’didi and Mandy but think we only need one of them. Neither have got a pass in them so there’s nothing to connect defence and forwards which means Maguire steams forward along with Chilwell and we’re exposed if it’s turned over.

I want Puel to get time because I like the football but he won’t have long left....

Could do with a few draws really lol 

• Like 1

Fancy trying to outpass The Arsenal at the Emirates!! Ridiculous. He rattles on about qualitee but there was nil quality for the last hour of that game. Despite setting up for possession it ended up 70-30 to the home side and the second half must've been more like 85-15. His substitions were bizarre as usual. Other than against the two bottom sides we haven't won in the premier league since august - and that was a flukey smash and grab against a poor southampton side (poor, but better than us). He has no plan b and his plan a appears to be based around passing for passing's sake. The players dont look inspired or motivated. Half the team look to be playing out of position. People rant on about his commitment to youth but the young stars (Chilwell, Grey, Maguire, Barnes etc) were all here before he was -and I doubt he had much input into the signing of Maddison. Others point out the run of results when he first arrived - but how much of that was down to Appleton, who could at least communicate with the players. The last 8 games of last season pointed the way to what we were becoming. Other than thoroughly undeserved wins against Wolves and Southampton and wins against the bottom two, we have continued that losing form. He talks of regular Champions League football in much the same way as Paulo (one-win-in-nine-games) Sousa did. Surely the owners will react the same way as they did to his bull and bluster - and GET RID - NOW!