Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Claude Puel reaches first anniversary at Leicester - but why does he always feel so close to the sack?

21 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Not loved by who? 

Maddisons admitted he signed because of Puel. Mendy is like a new signing. Ricardo signed for Puel. 

The fans may not love him who cares. A lot didn't like Mon how wrong where they. I didn't want CR. I think my reaction was

WTF. How wrong was I? 

Let the guy get on with a huge job and give him time. 

Top post,of the whole Topic....!!

no crazy stuff,pure and simple:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yks said:

I want to counter-balance on some negative points :

- The Golden opportunity to get into Europe :

I think we should stop acting and thinking like there is our team and a bunch of NPC teams who are obvioulsy weaker than us.

- Signed three new CBs but plays the same 2.

Benkovic is loaned, Evans played and wasn't really better than the club's captain, Soyuncu was obvioulsy not ready yet.

- Square pegs in round holes. The Ricardo situation as a primary example. 

Do you have other examples ?
Concerning Ricardo, maybe it was always considered he would have to bulk up a bit before being regularly selected RB

-
Too much chopping and changing for many. 

I absolutely don't get this one. A football team isn't 11 regular starters + substitutes.
To be competitive for a whole season all your players must be involved, motivated, decently happy and able to replace another without it being a huge flaw because the new player is unadapted to the tactics and or/ his partners.
It's a delicate alchemy to find between having a core of players who play almost anytime they're available and making rotation to avoid some players being too comfy or anticipating future issues.
Guardiola never align twice the same team and heavily rotates his players for that reason.

The irony in that is most of those who are angry about team rotation are the most vocals about immediately benching players because they had one or two bad games.

I actually agree with a lot of what you've put here, I just think with everything it's important to try and consider both sides of the story. Whilst there are clearly a lot of fans that just don't like Puel because he's French (sad but true), some people do have well reasoned criticism of him.

Myself personally I am quite hapy with what he's doing here.  Whist I do think we could have done a bit better than we have in terms of league position, we have a really good squad with lots of talented players and in every game other than Bournemouth we've been in it to the end.

49 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

I think a bad set of results in this run of games after Arsenal and before Spurs will see him sacked.

Screenshot_20181022-152524.jpg

Didn't everyone say the same about the start of the season? He certainly needs to keep picking up wins, but we've got the players to do that.

31 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Didn't everyone say the same about the start of the season? He certainly needs to keep picking up wins, but we've got the players to do that.

Yes, and he got the wins needed for some extra time. 

The first bad mini run (depending on the fixtures) and he'll probably be gone. 

2 minutes ago, sylofox said:

No need to call me simple lol

But commanding and recognising the simple droplets in our lives,allows us to nurture the hidden intellect

that we wisemen can use to help the lost souls of the unconverted....So!!!!!

Simples..:yesyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanan96 said:

We did shockingly won the title with this lineup. 736518651_lineup(3).png.66dadc6f896d0de80d20e64d9c008bc4.png

*it should be kante for ndidi. Sorry since Im bit hurry. Will. Edit later 

Years later, Ranieri still played with largely same team. In the absence of Kante, he played mendy, who get injured ASAP and amartey later. Slimani replaced okazaki.the rest are simmilar team. But somehow we played with different form and intensity during that season. Ranieri tried to tinker some time like playing 3 at the back, diamond formation, but no avail. 

He then got sacked and Shakespeare replace him. Shakey immediately reinstalled the old squad, the only difference was ndidi for kante but that was necessary since kante is gone. . The team get back in form and rose high to the 9th placed. 

The season after, the old team  (minus maguire for injured huth and james for departing drinkwater) started to show simmilar struggle with the year before. Particularly to the team with deep defensive line. We got hard time to broke them down and lost few points, even at home. Then puel comes. Here's his debut lineup

Screenshot_2018-10-22-20-29-01-216.thumb.jpeg.6353aa8aacc5b5ff2d95649b88b7ebad.jpeg

*forgot to change drinkwater for iborra. Will edit later when I got time. 

Notice the 2 player he drop, albrighton and okazaki. The 2 powerhouse of the team. Aside vardy, mahrez, fuchs, and Schmeichel, they are among most favourite player. But he drop them ASAP. They didn't play badly lately, what went wrong? 

Instead guys like gray and Chilwell played. I remembered lot of people wishing schlupp still here so we can loan them both since they aren't ready. But then what?? 

Screenshot_2018-10-22-20-35-43-609.thumb.jpeg.8e9cb2ec1147d55c74f01ada353025e1.jpeg

Fuchs get dropped. 1 game, 2 game, and so on

Suddenly chilwell who keep making mistakes taking over reliable fuchs. 

Gray played so often in okazaki positions, while he isn't that special. 

But the result is going well. The team are still with new manager bounce effect. So there's not much complain. 

Then, Morgan and Simpson got injured. But james got back in. 

Screenshot_2018-10-22-20-40-44-530.thumb.jpeg.035913a6b98acca9b17fabdc57638f82.jpeg

I remembered how some fans. Are fancy with puel 'silent renovations with the defence'. How he phased out morgan and Simpson for younger player. 

But then the honeymoon period is look ended

We have period when we start to get numerous draw and few losses. Coincidentally with mahrez saga. 

We start to blame James but puel persist 

Morgan comeback while drago show nothing wrong. 

And, as usual fans habit, when things goes bad, those around the pitch, who's not on the pitch are hero. Bench player and another manager look like world beater. This continues towards the end of the season. 

This season starts with some bright hope. We sign 3 cb, attacking rb, no. 10. Those we cried for 3 years. Despite we lost our best player. 

Unfortunately, our bridge, evans, suddenly injured. Right before the season starts. 

Team start to find out that Ricardo is exploitable as last season chilwell 

Our cb is shockingly struggling with adaptation while we sent other on loan instead of him. 

We score half goal from set pieces and counter attack. 

Puel tried to put evans right when he's cured despite Morgan is available . But he's look badly match fitness and exploit badly during wolves. With another cb struggling with adaptation. Morgan comebacks. 

And there's 2 red for him

As usual the old habit comeback. The result sometimes again us. We start to blame the player on the pitch and the manager. The one on the bench, stands, and another manager look like world beater. 

Also our team yo-yo epl standings didn't help. What kind of team we are??? We head down towards relegation zone, but we won the title and almost qualify for Europe. We spend many money but losing our great player. We develop youth but we persist with old player, despite just one. 

So in my opinion I conclude 3 problem. 

1.bad habit for treating those outside the pitch as world beater, no matter what. 

2. Uncertainty about the club true potential. Our yo-yo form made us too unpredictable. We know who's challenging for the title, who's the top 6 and who's battling for survival, but who we are now? 

3. Some strange decision from the coach which I both disagree with his decision and the media for not ask him why

Lot of the puel out keep mentioning things without seeing the context. Strangely, there are things that should be critize, yet they choose to critize another things which are either just random moaning, or already happened. 

And the hate already started since when he's drop okazaki, albrighton, and fuchs.. 

This post is worth reading through for anyone who's passed over it.

4 hours ago, Stadt said:

The Man City one was disappointing but in the Chelsea game we played a strong side, it’s just they were better than us. I don’t think Puel was to blame for that one 

We were far too cautious vs Chelsea, seemed to let them play for an hour before we even bothered to go forward but then again I was horridly hungover from my stag do and it's a bit hazy. I seem to recall being deeply unimpressed with how we approached the game. It was also very cold.

4 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I agree with nearly all of that apart from the persona bit. I honestly don’t care if we employ a mute as far as his spoken word goes to the fans, nor am I looking for charisma or for him to be my boyfriend. The only think that makes me livid with Puel are some of his signings, team selections, formations and in game management which frustrate the living **** out of me. The rest of him is worthy of very high praise indeed. But ‘the rest’ of that feels more like a strategic role rather than a direct management one. And the elements listed first which I question of him are in my assessment the core essentials of being a manager. So I’m trying to be patient and give him time to win me over and deliver something but both my head and my heart whilst appreciative of his positives don’t see a successful long term future for Puel at LCFC.

Persona is a big thing in football though, a lot of people say they don't care but it's much harder to keep giving a player or manager more time and chances if you've got no rapport or bond with them. Puel has done absolutely nothing to endere himself to the fans, some people can and some can't. Those who can't will struggle more so.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We were far too cautious vs Chelsea, seemed to let them play for an hour before we even bothered to go forward but then again I was horridly hungover from my stag do and it's a bit hazy. I seem to recall being deeply unimpressed with how we approached the game. It was also very cold.

Persona is a big thing in football though, a lot of people say they don't care but it's much harder to keep giving a player or manager more time and chances if you've got no rapport or bond with them. Puel has done absolutely nothing to endere himself to the fans, some people can and some can't. Those who can't will struggle more so.

That’s fair enough, it’s just not my personal criteria, that desire left with Holloway cracking jokes after we’d just lost every week!

• Like 1

I think we'll have to be top six regulars to have the same manager for a length of time now. Puel leaving at any point wouldn't surprise me but I don't have a lot of faith in it being a smooth process to the next manager.

If we have a high turnover of managers then so be it if there are genuine problems but ideally you'd want an upgrade on the manager in place rather than changing tack completely.

1 hour ago, lifted*fox said:

personally couldn't give a shit if a plank of wood was managing the team as long as they get the formation, players and results right. 

some people just want a dancing media monkey though, for some weird reason. bantz. 

This sort of statement is common amongst fans but usually is only true when a team and manager is doing well. When hard times come, there's very little else to relate to and make allowances for. It's the same in any walk of life, it's very important to come across well and be personable, it will get you far in life because there are many times when there's more to things than the task at hand.

For example, you've two accountants who have exposure to the board of directors, one comes across well and makes his mark both in results and how he communicates. The other has very good results but is forgettable in meetings and when dealing with people. Both face a difficult period at work where results become mixed and the organisation is under scrutiny, one will find it easier to work in that environment and feel they are listened to and supported, the other may well shrink and be dismissed. 

Puel has very few allies in our fan base because he's built absolutely no bond with them, he is the plank of wood you don't mind but I doubt he'd get the same treatment as a manager who managed to engage his fanbase. It is a necessary requirement to succeed long term.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This sort of statement is common amongst fans but usually is only true when a team and manager is doing well. When hard times come, there's very little else to relate to and make allowances for. It's the same in any walk of life, it's very important to come across well and be personable, it will get you far in life because there are many times when there's more to things than the task at hand.

For example, you've two accountants who have exposure to the board of directors, one comes across well and makes his mark both in results and how he communicates. The other has very good results but is forgettable in meetings and when dealing with people. Both face a difficult period at work where results become mixed and the organisation is under scrutiny, one will find it easier to work in that environment and feel they are listened to and supported, the other may well shrink and be dismissed. 

Puel has very few allies in our fan base because he's built absolutely no bond with them, he is the plank of wood you don't mind but I doubt he'd get the same treatment as a manager who managed to engage his fanbase. It is a necessary requirement to succeed long term.

Ric, are you the quiet, nervous, forgettable but successful accountant in this scenario?

• Haha 2

Today summed it up for me. We were outstanding in that first 30 and played some lovely stuff- but we didn't get the luck and we didn't capitalise. Then we concede and it all falls apart. Seems to be a recurring theme under Puel. Moments of rich promise but it's just not sustained and we disintegrate far too easily. We're progressing but it's painfully slow.

• Like 1