Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Kasper Schmeichel...

He was really shown up by Villa's keeper. He had a stormer  while Kasper let one in. He is not the bulwark he used to be but he remains the best keeper at the club so let's get behind him. Some of his performances in big games for us over the years have been truly colossal. 

• Like 1

I think 'keeper is an odd position. You really want them to not have to do anything, so I reckon there's a temptation (for some teams) to make-do, spending priorities being elsewhere. Even supposed big teams can spend a number of seasons finding the right quality/price balance. Was it Liverpool that went through a few before settling??

Kasper is by no means perfect but will do us for now - our priorities are elsewhere too. That said, it's certainly a position we ought have a number of candidates lined up for - and I think we have, or at least seem to have. Personally speaking, my biggest issue with him is not his keeping but his attitude. Give him his dues, he has kept us in games before now, pulling off some fantastic saves (every dog has its day!) but there's something 'big I am' about him that I don't like; mouthing off at people. Some call it passion and that's fair enough but I don't like to see it sometimes. 

But who'd be a keeper? I reckon you have to have a special mentality to even want to be one, let alone a good one. And 2nd or 3rd pick keeper? That really has to be a testing place to be. So, yes, Kasper has his faults and we ought have an eye for replacing him but, for now, he'll do. In fact, more than do given the alternatives.

Poor distribution most games 

often gives at least one clear cut chance to opposition team through a brain fart or lack of concentration.

lead boots when it comes to corners and crosses.

slow to react to the first goal.

also rooted to the line when they missed clear chance for tap in.

2nd goal positioning was bad.

He has been a great servant to the club, but we really need to have someone pushing for a first team replacement.
If Ward isn’t doing in after a few years he should be moved on.

Kasper shouldn’t be undroppable when going through a poor patch of form. 

• Like 1

Kasper is a massive influence in the dressing room, can you imagine how he’d be if he ever got dropped? Not rested for cup games etc but actually dropped. He’s a petulant sod like his dad and he’d stink the place out. I can’t see Brendan dropping him, ever. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mabrah said:

I think 'keeper is an odd position. You really want them to not have to do anything, so I reckon there's a temptation (for some teams) to make-do, spending priorities being elsewhere. Even supposed big teams can spend a number of seasons finding the right quality/price balance. Was it Liverpool that went through a few before settling??

Kasper is by no means perfect but will do us for now - our priorities are elsewhere too. That said, it's certainly a position we ought have a number of candidates lined up for - and I think we have, or at least seem to have. Personally speaking, my biggest issue with him is not his keeping but his attitude. Give him his dues, he has kept us in games before now, pulling off some fantastic saves (every dog has its day!) but there's something 'big I am' about him that I don't like; mouthing off at people. Some call it passion and that's fair enough but I don't like to see it sometimes. 

But who'd be a keeper? I reckon you have to have a special mentality to even want to be one, let alone a good one. And 2nd or 3rd pick keeper? That really has to be a testing place to be. So, yes, Kasper has his faults and we ought have an eye for replacing him but, for now, he'll do. In fact, more than do given the alternatives.

He's a winner. His mentality and attitude if anything is his strongest asset. 

That people don't find him sympathetic is fine, winners rarely are likeable characters.

4 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Poor distribution most games 

often gives at least one clear cut chance to opposition team through a brain fart or lack of concentration.

lead boots when it comes to corners and crosses.

slow to react to the first goal.

also rooted to the line when they missed clear chance for tap in.

2nd goal positioning was bad.

He has been a great servant to the club, but we really need to have someone pushing for a first team replacement.
If Ward isn’t doing in after a few years he should be moved on.

Kasper shouldn’t be undroppable when going through a poor patch of form. 

He's not actually in poor form though.

If you're expecting a flawless keeper, you're never going to get that. With Kasper, I feel the best argument is that he knows the club and is fiercely driven. The staff and other players know him very well as a player and person.

The calmness we have seen from the players building up play from the back has been really good this season and he must take his fair share of credit from that too.

6 minutes ago, shen said:

That people don't find him sympathetic is fine, winners rarely are likeable characters.

True enough, and I get that. It's not mutually exclusive though. The main thing is that I rate Kasper as a keeper. I suspect neither he nor I are concerned about being friends! 

4 minutes ago, shen said:

He's a winner. His mentality and attitude if anything is his strongest asset. 

He's not actually in poor form though.

If you're expecting a flawless keeper, you're never going to get that. With Kasper, I feel the best argument is that he knows the club and is fiercely driven. The staff and other players know him very well as a player and person.

The calmness we have seen from the players building up play from the back has been really good this season and he must take his fair share of credit from that too.

Why must he take his fair share of credit from making a small pass that any goalkeeper could do?

The reason we probably have to do that is because balls were often kicked straight to opponents heads, when in theory there should be a 50/50 chance of hitting a Leicester player.

Not being able to mix it up and doing the same thing everymatch is predictable and a weakness. 

54 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

33 is hardly twilight years for a keeper.

Modern football has changed,

Kasper has made nearly 400 appearances.

His plus points have always been reactions, there is no way they are getting sharper the older he gets.

More and more keepers are actually better when there younger these days.

courtous 

de gea 

as world class examples.

keepers like 

Hart 

Cech etc 

started to noticeably drop off at this age.

14 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Why must he take his fair share of credit from making a small pass that any goalkeeper could do?

The reason we probably have to do that is because balls were often kicked straight to opponents heads, when in theory there should be a 50/50 chance of hitting a Leicester player.

Not being able to mix it up and doing the same thing everymatch is predictable and a weakness. 

Right. Nothing to do with the fact the style of football dictates how Kasper should play. If anything, the shift should highlight exactly how he has followed coaching instructions throughout the years. By your logic this makes Ederson and Alisson terrible at kicking long, because they rarely ever do.

Ironically, when Kasper limped it long yesterday, it actually improved our position and attacks. We didn't win the initial headers obviously, but he kicked it right and Ricardo picked up the second ball on several occasions second half, which managed to bypass Villa's press entirely. So if anything, Kasper did switch it up when we didn't make progress from the back - and with arguable success.

We've seen how many incidents over the past 1-2 seasons that keeper's have lost the ball and conceded goals due to this new trend? Quite a few. But our defense have become very good at keeping calm when there is pressure and make very few clangers.

You can see how confident the players are in eachother, including Kasper. He has adapted, which is commendable after years of throwing it out quickly or booting it long.

9 minutes ago, Foxoffice said:

His best days are gone now, should of saved there first and was very nervy through out, go out and get Henderson from united in the summer (use Maddison as the bait) 

Ah yes, Henderson, the flavour of the month. Remind me again who had the best defense at the half season stage?

We're in a tough position with Schmeichel.  Clearly for the style of football we want to play a keeper better with his feet and with at least average distribution would make a huge difference.  But Kasper is a big-time clubhouse lawyer who's already had a role in getting multiple managers fired.  Moving on from him, even if it's advisable from a football standpoint, is always going to be very difficult.

• Haha 1

Here we go, couple of under-par performances and our pathetic fanbase turn on our players. Nobody is free from criticism when underperforming but honestly just use some common sense when you do criticise players. How on earth was he meant to save their second goal? There were no issues from set pieces last night we were fairly solid. A few stray kicks from Kasper weren’t the reason for our semi final exit. 

16 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

We're in a tough position with Schmeichel.  Clearly for the style of football we want to play a keeper better with his feet and with at least average distribution would make a huge difference.  But Kasper is a big-time clubhouse lawyer who's already had a role in getting multiple managers fired.  Moving on from him, even if it's advisable from a football standpoint, is always going to be very difficult.

This is such garbage and so unfair on a player who's played more than 350 games for us. 

Kasper has always been a flapper and arguably struggled much more with it in the Championship when teams were more physical and just lumped it into the box at every opportunity. He does have brain farts but so does every keeper. I'd say he's at his peak with us currently and we have far more pressing issues (wingers and general squad depth) than replacing him. 

Edited by Jonaldinho
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

If that helps you.

It really comes down to whether you want to be a nice Cinderella story who occasionally makes a run to the CL places, or aspire to be a perennial contender.  If you want to be a big club you have to be hard-headed.  Kasper isn’t our biggest problem, but he’s not an elite keeper and elite clubs usually have elite keepers.  And possession-based clubs rarely have keepers who are bad with distribution.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shen said:

Right. Nothing to do with the fact the style of football dictates how Kasper should play. If anything, the shift should highlight exactly how he has followed coaching instructions throughout the years. By your logic this makes Ederson and Alisson terrible at kicking long, because they rarely ever do.

Ironically, when Kasper limped it long yesterday, it actually improved our position and attacks. We didn't win the initial headers obviously, but he kicked it right and Ricardo picked up the second ball on several occasions second half, which managed to bypass Villa's press entirely. So if anything, Kasper did switch it up when we didn't make progress from the back - and with arguable success.

We've seen how many incidents over the past 1-2 seasons that keeper's have lost the ball and conceded goals due to this new trend? Quite a few. But our defense have become very good at keeping calm when there is pressure and make very few clangers.

You can see how confident the players are in eachother, including Kasper. He has adapted, which is commendable after years of throwing it out quickly or booting it long.

Ah yes, Henderson, the flavour of the month. Remind me again who had the best defense at the half season stage?

Stop being small minded and think of the bigger picture, Kasper’s 33! 

look at the current stats!

Edited by Foxoffice

Opposition managers have now cottoned on to the fact that Kasper has zero command of his six yard box.

Unfortunately I don’t ever see him improving that aspect of his game, in fact it is getting worse, which increasingly makes him a liability at set pieces.

He’s a club legend, a great bloke and still a superb shot stopper, but if this chronic weakness in his game becomes a major issue and starts adversely affecting our results, then Rodgers will have a big decision to make.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammo said:

Opposition managers have now cottoned on to the fact that Kasper has zero command of his six yard box.

Unfortunately I don’t ever see him improving that aspect of his game, in fact it is getting worse, which increasingly makes him a liability at set pieces.

He’s a club legend, a great bloke and still a superb shot stopper, but if this chronic weakness in his game becomes a major issue and starts adversely affecting our results, then Rodgers will have a big decision to make.

This. Similar to what I already put, opposition have definitely found this weakness out. So many chances we concede chances from set pieces and we have been very lucky to not have conceded more goals from them.

I can't see us ever getting anyone to permanently replace him for at least 2/3 years. 

Not making excuses for Kasper but he's clearly been instructed by Brendan to trust his team mates and take risks with his distribution, so there's  no point expecting him to lump it forward and hope for second balls. It ain't gonna happen.