Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Coventry City FC

I've been the rugby ground - I just can't see it. Three sporting teams play there already (Coventry RU, Coventry Bears RL & Coventry United) and there's little or no segregation (you'd have home and away fans using the same exits)

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

On 02/04/2019 at 08:07, Koke said:

Had to look up the last time we played these lot. 

3 March 2012 (2-0 home win). Coming up to a decade now. We are due a cup tie against them soon. This used to be a regular fixture when I was younger. 

Absolutely mad. I've just seen something come up on my Timehop about us being in Madrid for a Champions League QF on the same week they were relegated to League 2

An attempt for judicial review )on the terms of the sale of the Ricoh) have been denied by the Supreme Court:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-supreme-court-decision-16136483

As stated in the article, it seems a ground share with Birmingham is on the cards (unless the football club decide to end legal action and agree a deal to stay at Ricoh). However, it seemd deadline is just 9 days away. I hope something is agreed before then. Long term a new ground seems likely, but tha tis several years away - and they will need to be a League club to progress this.

• 2 weeks later...

Some good news on this front at last. (no, I am not a covertCoventry fan, but would not wish them having to be move away from Coventry, or be expelled from league.)

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-city-ricoh-fans-groups-16172216

Hopefully, this is the prequel to a long term deal to stay at the Ricoh that's acceptable to both parties

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Football League as useful as ever. Telling the club to find a ground within six miles of the city centre which was never going to happen as I doubt anywhere would meet the ground regulations and then allowing a team to move out of it's home for the second time in six years.

SISU are appalling and need to go. I don't like Coventry but they have many decent fans who have been kicked in the stomach yet again. The name of the club should mean something.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

As much as i dislike C*v it shouldnt have happened again. Seems like a dispute between 3 parties? SISU, Wasps and C*v council with the football club being shafted again albeit due to bad ownership. So happy we have owners like ours.

We are absolutely blessed.

The best thing that has ever happened to this club. 

• Like 1

No problem getting 40,000 together for a day out for a meaningless trophy, so the potential is there. The problem is the goings on between sisu/wasps/Cov council have together with being in the lower divisions drained the passion out of the fans. 10,000 odd for a City the size of Cov is a poor turnout.

They still harp on about 1987 though, bless em.

They really do need to come together like Blackpool and Portsmouth. Didn't Portsmouth fans get control of the club at one point?

It's not nice to see a club in this state and it shouldn't be allowed to happen. 

The club is dying. 

Shades of Wimbledon and Darlington with no obvious or realistic way out of the quagmire. They're more likely to liquidate than make it back to the Premier League without new owners. 

It's entirely conceivable that we never play them again, at least not as equals.

The fact this is the second time this has happened makes a mockery of the whole thing. 

SISU and Cov Council need to take a look at themselves. Can see the club spiralling again if a few results go against them. 

FL should be doing more.

It's funny from a rival perspective, but the amount of fans having to travel to brum to watch the game, hard not to feel for them.

Credit to Birmingham for allowing the ground share otherwise they'd have probably been kicked out.

I don't believe the Council owns any part of the stadium it belongs to Wasps now.

Originally built as a replacement for Coventry City's Highfield Road ground, the stadium was initially operated by Arena Coventry Limited (ACL), with Coventry City as tenants. ACL was owned jointly by Coventry City Council and the Higgs Charity. 

Following a protracted rent dispute between Coventry City and ACL, the football club left the Ricoh Arena in 2013,  

Within two months, both shareholders in ACL were bought out by rugby union Premiership club Wasps, who relocated to the stadium from their previous ground, 

So this is down to SISU and Wasps to resolve.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davieG said:

I don't believe the Council owns any part of the stadium it belongs to Wasps now.

Originally built as a replacement for Coventry City's Highfield Road ground, the stadium was initially operated by Arena Coventry Limited (ACL), with Coventry City as tenants. ACL was owned jointly by Coventry City Council and the Higgs Charity. 

Following a protracted rent dispute between Coventry City and ACL, the football club left the Ricoh Arena in 2013,  

Within two months, both shareholders in ACL were bought out by rugby union Premiership club Wasps, who relocated to the stadium from their previous ground, 

So this is down to SISU and Wasps to resolve.

I think I read that a big argument was around the purchase of the ground by Wasps.

SISU keep on trying to find something dodgy with the sale, citing the price they paid was below the actual value, but due to the ground being unused, value would drop.

Wasps made a condition that any deal would involve SISU dropping legal action, which they didn't want to follow.

Probably a lot more too it than this however.

Still feel Cov Council and The FL have an interest to keep Cov playing at home, so should've been helping to resolve the situation.

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Still feel Cov Council and The FL have an interest to keep Cov playing at home

Sure, but the intransigence is between Wasps & SISU only they can resolve it.

Just now, davieG said:

Sure, but the intransigence is between Wasps & SISU only they can resolve it.

I agree, but you'd think one or the other would sit down with them and smack some sense into either one. 

This benefits neither of them. 

This is the complaint the CEO had against Cov Council, they feel it was undervalued by £26million:

“Ultimately you have to go back to the decision of Coventry City Council to sell the stadium to a London franchise rugby club under the noses of the football club without their knowledge.

“And also without giving them the football club an opportunity to participate in the sale.

“It wasn't put on the open market, it was sold behind our backs.

They think the only option is to build a new ground which is barmy