Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

Had to get up early today and there was a frost. Got me realising how much it’s going to be shite with no gyms open now the weather is changing for the worse. Slippy icy paths await us soon instead of treadmills and rowing machines etc.  Wasn’t an issue first time around. Nice bike rides and 5k runs in pleasant weather. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MonmoreStef said:

Had to get up early today and there was a frost. Got me realising how much it’s going to be shite with no gyms open now the weather is changing for the worse. Slippy icy paths await us soon instead of treadmills and rowing machines etc.  Wasn’t an issue first time around. Nice bike rides and 5k runs in pleasant weather. 

I keep telling myself it's only for 4 weeks but I'm still on a massive downer about it :(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I keep telling myself it's only for 4 weeks but I'm still on a massive downer about it :(

Yeah I'm thinking I might actually have to start running for once. I'm not a fan of running but I need to do exercise in the morning before work. It just works so well for me and refreshes my mind. Helps keep my mind nice and clear. 

Was looking at couch to 10k with rest days being a 7-8k walk. But not sure I can fit in a 10k run before work considering I can't run for shit. I assume it will take me at least 90 minutes which means getting up even earlier to go do it. Tempted to just do a 5k run but you don't burn many calories on a 5k run. Still 5k run every other day and a 6-7k walk might work. 

Ah it's so shit. So much easier just going to the gym busting out the weights and then pop on the crosstrainer with my headphones in to blast some cardio for half hour. 

• Like 1

How are you mo fo's coping without the gym then? Shit ain't it?

It's only been a week but it feels like an eternity. I've been on two runs outdoors and a few free weights at home but it's not the same.

Only three weeks to go...:fc:

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It's only been a week but it feels like an eternity. I've been on two runs outdoors and a few free weights at home but it's not the same.

You bought some weights then, bro?

I don't use the gym (I train at home, as you know) but I really miss using the pool for toning and cardio.

13 minutes ago, Buce said:

You bought some weights then, bro?

I don't use the gym (I train at home, as you know) but I really miss using the pool for toning and cardio.

I ended up borrowing some off a neighbor mate. They're not great (just a couple of 10kg dumbbells) but will be OK temporally I guess.

My wife is a big swimmer and also missing the pool big time. It's all a bit shit but hopefully light at the end of the tunnel for us all now ;)

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I ended up borrowing some off a neighbor mate. They're not great (just a couple of 10kg dumbbells) but will be OK temporally I guess.

My wife is a big swimmer and also missing the pool big time. It's all a bit shit but hopefully light at the end of the tunnel for us all now ;)

There's loads you can do with just a pair of dumbells, bro.

Have a look at this.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Having a tender calf doesn't help with cardio but I struggle to get motivated without the gym.

I can go there and sweat my ass off for 90 minutes but when it comes to doing simple things at home, it's like nahhhh I'll pass.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Izzy said:

I have a set of dumbbells at home so I'm trying to get some exercises in, but I find it incredibly difficult to motivate myself at home. Whereas when physically at the gym I can get into a headspace to push myself. 

Looking forward to them reopening. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DB11 said:

With the darker and colder nights I’ve traded running out and substituted it with investing in the Peloton bike

Would love one if I had the room, how is it?

Currently just plodding round for 5K most days, pretty dull and literally just counting down the days to get back to the gym. 

4 hours ago, DB11 said:

With the darker and colder nights I’ve traded running out and substituted it with investing in the Peloton bike

How much do they cost all in? Considering doing the same, we have some gym equipment in the garage but I don't get any cardio.

21 minutes ago, KFS said:

Can you all post your squat, bench, deadlift so I can figure out who I should put on ignore or not? 

:D 

Weirdly I think there's a 15kg difference in what I can manage in the gym and what I can manage in a home gym. You may need to specify :P

Stop the gym this year because of the first lockdown. My fault but I didn’t really maintain any form of consistent exercise when Gyms first closed. I put on weight as a result. When gyms re-opened I inconsistently went. I’ve decided to buy a treadmill (great offers on Groupon) because my general well-being (physical and mental) has taken a hit as result of me stopping something that was very much part of my routine otherwise. 

Plan to use the treadmill 3 times a week just to get that good feeling back. Then bring in the free weights.

12 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Would love one if I had the room, how is it?

Currently just plodding round for 5K most days, pretty dull and literally just counting down the days to get back to the gym. 

11 hours ago, Manini said:

Ooo nice. Please share a review when you can, I’ve been keeping my eye on one of them for a while. 

I’m loving it to be honest! I used to go to the occasional spin class at the gym and enjoyed that but this has so much variety, ranging from a short 10 minute one to 90 minutes and everything in between. Depending on how you feel you can do low impact recovery rides, music themed rides or intense HIIT and hills type rides. I don’t know how they do it but even the on demand classes the instructors are all engaging and it is enjoyable. The cadence and resistance are obviously guides and you can adjust them according to your needs, I’m not competitive so I don’t watch the leaderboard but if that’s your thing then there’s a whole community around that and redoing rides to try and get a higher score on the leaderboard. 

It doesn’t take up much room physically although I guess you would need to be mindful of where you have it - sweating in the living room whilst others are trying to watch tv probably wouldn’t go down too well lol 

11 hours ago, bmt said:

How much do they cost all in? Considering doing the same, we have some gym equipment in the garage but I don't get any cardio.

I just went for the basic one as I didn’t need the features on the bike + and certainly not for the £500 odd more it costs!

The basic was reduced from £2000 to £1,750 due to the release of the new bike (although you can do it interest free at £45 a month over three years ish) and on top of that I received the £150 essentials package for free using a discount code, which includes the weights, shoes/cleats and headphones. 

On top of the initial outlay it’s then £39 a month, which is required to use the features of the bike like the classes otherwise it’s just any normal exercise bike. If you’re going on holiday or anything like that you can freeze your membership for up to three months at a time. 

One thing I didn’t realise is that the pedals that the bike comes with need you to use cycling shoes with them, so I ordered an additional set of pedals that’s have the strap over them like you’d see on exercise bikes in the gym, just in case really but I quite like the cycling shoes that I got so probably didn’t need that!

Second hand bikes seem to hold their value quite well and sell for around £1200 on eBay. 

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...