Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

1 hour ago, Rusko187 said:

Does anyone else do a weights workout and follow it up with Cardio?

Not usually. Depends on the goal.

Personally i'd rather go for a walk/run outside on a day i don't lift, than stand on a treadmill / stair climber.

But again, mostly down to diet.

Does anyone else do a weights workout and follow it up with Cardio?

I do it the other way around.

45 mins on the treadmill then weights. Is there a right or wrong way?

I usually start with 10 minutes on the bike, move onto the weights and finish with Core. My split currently is:

Shoulders

Chest & Triceps

Back & Biceps

Legs

Usual weight workout is currently going heavy on 4 sets of 8 reps on muscle groups which are lacking strength, but on occasion I do Super-sets to failures. Any muscle groups I'm strong with I'm doing 4 sets of 15 reps at a lighter weight. End goal is really to put on lean muscle, but I do have a job of shifting some excess fat.

I usually start with 10 minutes on the bike, move onto the weights and finish with Core. My split currently is:

Shoulders

Chest & Triceps

Back & Biceps

Legs

Usual weight workout is currently going heavy on 4 sets of 8 reps on muscle groups which are lacking strength, but on occasion I do Super-sets to failures. Any muscle groups I'm strong with I'm doing 4 sets of 15 reps at a lighter weight. End goal is really to put on lean muscle, but I do have a job of shifting some excess fat.

Similar to me but I do:

chest tris

back bis

legs abs

shoulders

off

Best not to do shoulders/chest and tris without a rest inbetween.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2020 at 13:37, Costock_Fox said:

Shit that’s madness mate, well done.

I’m a crap planker (difficult to believe I know) and can’t lift heavy weights lol 

World planking record set by ex-marine, aged 62

A 62-year-old former US Marine has broken the world planking record with a time of eight hours, 15 minutes and 15 seconds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51618159

Makes my 5 minutes 28 secs look a bit shit lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

World planking record set by ex-marine, aged 62

A 62-year-old former US Marine has broken the world planking record with a time of eight hours, 15 minutes and 15 seconds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51618159

Makes my 5 minutes 28 secs look a bit shit lol

What a lunatic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/02/2020 at 15:40, Izzy said:

I do it the other way around.

45 mins on the treadmill then weights. Is there a right or wrong way?

I don't think there is a right or wrong way, it is down to personal taste/goals I think.  Conventional wisdom amongst "lifters" is to do weights first as doing cardio first will slightly reduce the amount you are able to lift and so slow down progress.  But after doing weights I can never be bothered with cardio.  Personally (and I am in no way an expert, I started lifting weights about 2 years ago but fannied about for a year and have only really recently found a routine I stick to) I aim to do 3 full body workouts a week and three cardio sessions in the days between.  I tried different splits for the weights (Push, Pull, Legs, one body part each day, etc) but I like a full body workout because personally I just find it easier.  Also if I miss a day it is fine and I can just do the same workout next time.  It is about personal preference again I think.  Doing what I do is never going to get me "hence" but all I want is to slightly tone up, keep fit and not get knackered in my old age.  I am 38 and had never lifted any weights until I was about 36 so I am a late comer and will never get big.  I am also naturally slim, I am 6"1" and weight about 70kg so building huge muscle is not for me.

In an absolute ideal world my current set up would look like this....

Mon - Full Body Weights

Tues - Cardio

Wed - Full Body Weights

Thurs - Cardio

Fri - Full Body Weights

Sat - Cardio

Sun - Rest

However, we had a baby recently and it's all gone to shit haha.  I now aim for 2 weight workouts a week with any slight cardio I can do.  I walk everywhere so at least I always get some.  I must admit I feel like doing full body has given me good results over the last few months.

I have two full body routines which I just alternate:

Workout A

Deadlift

Barbell Bench Press

Machine Row

Dumbbell Military Press

Pull Ups

Abs (usually hanging leg raises)

Workout B

Barbell Back Squat

Barbell Military Press

Barbell Bent Over Row

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

Chin Ups

Abs

So in the above set up I would do Workout A on a Monday, B on a Wednesday, A on a Friday and so on (ABABABAB) so that one week I will do two workout As and 1 workout B and the next week would be 2 workout Bs and 1 workout A.  It means the deadlift and squat are done three times each fortnight.  As I said at the minute I am happy with one workout a week.

Cardio for me is a 5K run, I cannae be fecked with anything further.  I sometimes do some hill runs and I am a big believer in HIIT but I just don't get round to it at the moment.

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back into it now, the Mrs in tow. Nice having her there, means I do a more varied set of exercises rather than just smashing Shoulder, Chest and Back/Arms workouts on repeat week after week. 

Also swimming regularly which in enjoyable. Being 5/6 minutes off my PB 5K time less so. 

Annoyingly the first case of the virus down here was in one of the gyms in Poole so I doubt it's going to be long until the gyms are closed off for a while, just as we were getting into it. 

On 25/02/2020 at 09:24, RumbleFox said:

I don't think there is a right or wrong way, it is down to personal taste/goals I think.  Conventional wisdom amongst "lifters" is to do weights first as doing cardio first will slightly reduce the amount you are able to lift and so slow down progress.  But after doing weights I can never be bothered with cardio.  Personally (and I am in no way an expert, I started lifting weights about 2 years ago but fannied about for a year and have only really recently found a routine I stick to) I aim to do 3 full body workouts a week and three cardio sessions in the days between.  I tried different splits for the weights (Push, Pull, Legs, one body part each day, etc) but I like a full body workout because personally I just find it easier.  Also if I miss a day it is fine and I can just do the same workout next time.  It is about personal preference again I think.  Doing what I do is never going to get me "hence" but all I want is to slightly tone up, keep fit and not get knackered in my old age.  I am 38 and had never lifted any weights until I was about 36 so I am a late comer and will never get big.  I am also naturally slim, I am 6"1" and weight about 70kg so building huge muscle is not for me.

In an absolute ideal world my current set up would look like this....

Mon - Full Body Weights

Tues - Cardio

Wed - Full Body Weights

Thurs - Cardio

Fri - Full Body Weights

Sat - Cardio

Sun - Rest

However, we had a baby recently and it's all gone to shit haha.  I now aim for 2 weight workouts a week with any slight cardio I can do.  I walk everywhere so at least I always get some.  I must admit I feel like doing full body has given me good results over the last few months.

I have two full body routines which I just alternate:

Workout A

Deadlift

Barbell Bench Press

Machine Row

Dumbbell Military Press

Pull Ups

Abs (usually hanging leg raises)

Workout B

Barbell Back Squat

Barbell Military Press

Barbell Bent Over Row

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

Chin Ups

Abs

So in the above set up I would do Workout A on a Monday, B on a Wednesday, A on a Friday and so on (ABABABAB) so that one week I will do two workout As and 1 workout B and the next week would be 2 workout Bs and 1 workout A.  It means the deadlift and squat are done three times each fortnight.  As I said at the minute I am happy with one workout a week.

Cardio for me is a 5K run, I cannae be fecked with anything further.  I sometimes do some hill runs and I am a big believer in HIIT but I just don't get round to it at the moment.

Thank f**k ,I have my Wheelchair, 

Each Weekly sessions of ..

After 3 Overhead kipping over,

practising the role,

then hitting the deadlift 

with Pull ups

Incline Military 'dumbbell' Press

Followed by Chin ups & a few laughs..

All this trying to Chase Barbell,though she keeps Running ,screaming NO...and We end up having a real Machine row..!!

always end up feeling dumbbell...needing 'warm downs'..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Getting back into it now, the Mrs in tow. Nice having her there, means I do a more varied set of exercises rather than just smashing Shoulder, Chest and Back/Arms workouts on repeat week after week. 

Also swimming regularly which in enjoyable. Being 5/6 minutes off my PB 5K time less so. 

Annoyingly the first case of the virus down here was in one of the gyms in Poole so I doubt it's going to be long until the gyms are closed off for a while, just as we were getting into it. 

Download Insanity Max 30. I’ll be back on that when this place is in lockdown.

• 1 month later...

Started from scratch this morning on the weights. Ran over 100 miles last month so lost a bit of weight but haven’t lifted in months...

Ive taken 50kg off the bar and just starting with what’s left and that wasn’t easy!

Bit depressing but gotta start somewhere I guess!

On 08/05/2020 at 13:09, Swan Lesta said:

Started from scratch this morning on the weights. Ran over 100 miles last month so lost a bit of weight but haven’t lifted in months...

Ive taken 50kg off the bar and just starting with what’s left and that wasn’t easy!

Bit depressing but gotta start somewhere I guess!

Crazy how much you lose so quickly isn’t it.

Just finished my second month of Insanity Max 30. Was hoping that would take me to the end of this shower of shit but looks like I’m going right back to day 1. I’m probably as close to a 6 pack as I’ve been in my adult life but I can’t say I’m looking forward to going back to the start.

• Like 1

I have started following personal trainer workout videos (3x a week)  on YouTube this week-  the next workout is today however my muscles is feeling bit sore/stiff from last workout-  is it to be expected to work out on sore muscles (especially that I am a newbie) or should I rest?  I have no idea what muscles groups would be used in the next workout lol 

Going to look online but I thought personal experiences also would be useful as well.

Edited by The Blur

1 minute ago, The Blur said:

I have started following personal trainer workout videos (3x a week)  on YouTube this week-  the next workout is today however my muscles is feeling bit sore/stiff from last workout-  is it to be expected to work out on sore muscles (especially that I am a newbie) or should I rest?  I have no idea what muscles groups would be in the next workout lol 

Going to look online but I thought personal experiences also would be useful as well.

What workout are you doing? 

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

What workout are you doing? 

The last one I did was EMOM-  push up,  squats and burpees x12 in 3 sets along with varierty of various sit up exercises but I am feeling it most in my arms and quads so I think its linked to the former.   It appears that there is no pattern to each workouts and it varies from previous videos I looked at.