Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LcfcOk

The gym

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

I live in Bucks so tier 4 from midnight.

Really fvcked off about it tbh. Was just getting back into the gym and now this shit again. Had enough really.

Feels like a constant kick in the teeth tbh, the only real activities I do that don't involve going to the pub are running and golf. Both of which haven't been allowed for a large part of this year. 

Feel for you man, but I'm sure leicester will be joining you soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2020 at 21:24, Izzy said:

I live in Bucks so tier 4 from midnight.

Really fvcked off about it tbh. Was just getting back into the gym and now this shit again. Had enough really.

I know how you’re feeling now mate! 

I was two weeks back into weight training again after being off it since February (I’ve been swimming twice a week since September though) and felt excellent for it, I was preparing to fully dedicate myself to it this year. 

Now I feel a bit lost. Diets gone to crap, I’ve got no proper weights at home and equipment is either sold out or going for silly prices. In the first two lockdowns I did daily walks for 5 miles a day but after the same routes well over a hundred times I can’t face doing it again. I’ve been WFH since March so it was one real escape I had. I worked a couple days this week and could barely get anything done. I just can’t find the motivation for anything, the constant fvck ups and farces from the top makes it feel there’s no end or way out. 

Sounds pretty sad but without the gym it’s a pretty lonely and miserable existence at the minute. 

21 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I know how you’re feeling now mate! 

I was two weeks back into weight training again after being off it since February (I’ve been swimming twice a week since September though) and felt excellent for it, I was preparing to fully dedicate myself to it this year. 

Now I feel a bit lost. Diets gone to crap, I’ve got no proper weights at home and equipment is either sold out or going for silly prices. In the first two lockdowns I did daily walks for 5 miles a day but after the same routes well over a hundred times I can’t face doing it again. I’ve been WFH since March so it was one real escape I had. I worked a couple days this week and could barely get anything done. I just can’t find the motivation for anything, the constant fvck ups and farces from the top makes it feel there’s no end or way out. 

Sounds pretty sad but without the gym it’s a pretty lonely and miserable existence at the minute.

Doesn't sound sad at all mate, I completely understand how you feel.

I struggle to get motivated at home and have to force myself to go for a walk every day, but it's not the same. After 3 weeks off the gym I can already feel my strength reducing and I'm more lethargic and aching. 

I hate running outside in the cold and it fvcks my Achilles up, so that's out too. Going to the gym was my reason to get out the house and have a bit of 'me' time and the only thing I looked forward to.

God knows how long it will be until they open again but I imagine a while yet. Try and keep your chin up mate :unsure:

• Thanks 1

After running on the treadmill for a month I went for a run outside yesterday due to the gym closures. Had to stop numerous times as I couldn't breathe properly due to the cold air! I've always had the motivation to carry on outside but struggled yesterday. 

Sooner the gyms reopen the better :thumbdown:

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Had a good November lockdown running outside but I really can't be arsed with it now mainly due to the cold. Such a shame gyms were forced to close without much evidence given the effort that a lot of them put it to stay open.

This is literally me. I'm not into running personally but did do it for a bit during the last lockdown for about 2-3 weeks but just found it cold and miserable. At the minute i'm doing a one hour walk during my work break but thats not even proper exercise. With the virus going this mental i can see why gyms are closed but god damn just as I was getting back into the groove its over again. 

Edited by Christoph

To anyone who's interested, I have just become a L3 Personal Trainer and I understand how important the gym is those who attend. I have written a free workout program for a week which you can do at home with no equipment, and if you like it, we can chat about what's best for you to help to keep moving during this lockdown!

This is NOT a sales pitch, I just want to help anyone I can get moving who struggles with motivation. Send me a pm if interested lads and ladies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

To anyone who's interested, I have just become a L3 Personal Trainer and I understand how important the gym is those who attend. I have written a free workout program for a week which you can do at home with no equipment, and if you like it, we can chat about what's best for you to help to keep moving during this lockdown!

This is NOT a sales pitch, I just want to help anyone I can get moving who struggles with motivation. Send me a pm if interested lads and ladies.

Good luck Ollie :appl:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m wanting to try and start lifting more weights again as I’m starting to put on the pounds again...

Does anyone know any good Barbells and dumbbells that you can buy online that are not way too expensive? Turning my garage into a mini gym but have no idea what the best makes are or value for money. Was wondering if any experts know what’s best? 

12 hours ago, BroughtonFox said:

I’m wanting to try and start lifting more weights again as I’m starting to put on the pounds again...

Does anyone know any good Barbells and dumbbells that you can buy online that are not way too expensive? Turning my garage into a mini gym but have no idea what the best makes are or value for money. Was wondering if any experts know what’s best? 

At the end of the day a weight is a weight and it is what you do with it. The options you have are standard barbells and plates or Olympic barbells and plates. It really depends on what exercises you are going to be doing?

If squats and deadlifts and the other compound lifts then you would want an Olympic set. This will also depend on how much space you have as they are bigger. If you are looking at just beginner stuff and nothing too heavy then any standard barbell and weight set would be fine. I know previously it was difficult to buy any equipment  so not sure if this had changed and there are more things available?

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Also I got all my stuff from Power House fitness years ago if I remember correctly. They seem to have a decent selection and stock at the minute. 

https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/weights/barbells/standard-bars

Excellent mate thanks, was just going to do the basic stuff you can do on a bench, as there’s plenty of benches on Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

After spending about 9 months doing insanity and running hard I’ve had a dodgy back. The chiropractor made me take 2 weeks off and recommended yoga.

I’m back to doing the above but also doing Yoga every day now and quite enjoying doing it. I also stumbled across Wim Hof who is the guy that can go out swimming in ice etc because he has developed a breathing technique which regulates his body temperature. He has a YouTube videos for this technique and it’s absolutely mental, I comfortably held my breath for 1m 30 and could easily have carried out.

Looking into doing his exercise program now because it genuinely felt incredible. He’s a mad bastard.

On 27/01/2021 at 09:38, Unabomber said:

Also I got all my stuff from Power House fitness years ago if I remember correctly. They seem to have a decent selection and stock at the minute. 

https://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/weights/barbells/standard-bars

Late to the party, but can confirm that these are decent. Bought a 45kg barbell from them a few weeks back, was a pretty good price compared to anywhere on amazon.

On 09/02/2021 at 12:03, sdb said:

Any good home work outs people would recommend? I've searched insanity but can't really see anything official/structured on YouTube? Thanks x

Have a look at "Private Gym Fitness" on you tube. I bought a knock-off TRX during lockdown and put it up in the garage and it's doing me good...he does loads of other types of exercise too. and all free (at the moment)...

• Thanks 1