Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Player Reactions

2 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

This is a totally myth.

It was a selfish last minute panic bringing Harvey back from West Brom, the guy is great but seeing out the season there would've been better for him/us

Mendy over Hamza

27 year old joke Ghezzal

Chilwell made his debut 2 years pre Puel

N'didi was going backwards

Etc

Not one player bar Chilwell (his attacking, not defending who would of regardless) had improved under his management

How is him giving them game time a myth lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

You're kidding right?

He's an asset and from what i've seen i want him starting most games.  He's come back to the prem and looked good and improves our squad.  There is no question it was the right decision to bring him back, him getting prem time this season will set him up for being a big part of our next season

Mendy was good at the start of the season, apart from his mistakes he's only declined with the general decline of the team performances

Chilwell became our LB under Puel, thats not disputable

Ndidi hasnt been going backwards.  Just hasnt improved massively from when we first signed him

Agree with all but the last bit. Ndidi just hasn't been himself since paired with Mendy, and seeing we are meant to be in the business of developing younger players rather than watching them go backwards, that was a major concern for me. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Agree with all but the last bit. Ndidi just hasn't been himself since paired with Mendy, and seeing we are meant to be in the business of developing younger players rather than watching them go backwards, that was a major concern for me. 

I can concede that.  I thought he looked better with Tielemans next to him

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I have detailed already in this thread but the main one would be to not isolate the midfield and Maddison. Ditch this bizarre obsession with going wide overloading the flanks with overlapping full backs to cross to Vardy. 

Push the full backs into midfield get Vardy to drop deeper, have one of the midfield 2 play further forwards. 

Or go 3 at the back allow Maguire to join the midfield and play Maddison in a midfield 2.

Just do something to not be so predictable and so easy to nullify with average well organised players. 

Maddison in a midfield two at this level would be madness, he's far too light weight. He's a luxury player and either a 10 or part of a midfield 3 (although I'm not convinced he has the positional discipline to not turn a midfield 3 into a 2 and a 1)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Maddison in a midfield two at this level would be madness, he's far too light weight. He's a luxury player and either a 10 or part of a midfield 3 (although I'm not convinced he has the positional discipline to not turn a midfield 3 into a 2 and a 1)

Ndidi and Mendy didn’t work at least try it. Teams like Palace, Burnley, Brighton, Southampton are not going to be going for us, they will be sitting back waiting to pick off the mistakes. We don’t need 2 ball winners in there we need someone who can control the game and dictate the play from a deeper position and not give the ball away cheaply.

We have many options with a deep talented squad, Maddison in the middle was just one, feel free to comment on the other suggestions I’ve made. I’m not saying any of them would have necessarily worked the only guarantee was that having 2 holding midfielders didn’t. Even with Tielemans, who looked a breath of fresh air against Spurs, it is still the same tactics, Puel used the same tactics and picked the same players in the middle and got the same results.

7 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Ndidi and Mendy didn’t work at least try it. Teams like Palace, Burnley, Brighton, Southampton are not going to be going for us, they will be sitting back waiting to pick off the mistakes. We don’t need 2 ball winners in there we need someone who can control the game and dictate the play from a deeper position and not give the ball away cheaply.

We have many options with a deep talented squad, Maddison in the middle was just one, feel free to comment on the other suggestions I’ve made. I’m not saying any of them would have necessarily worked the only guarantee was that having 2 holding midfielders didn’t. Even with Tielemans, who looked a breath of fresh air against Spurs, it is still the same tactics, Puel used the same tactics and picked the same players in the middle and got the same results.

You can't possibly imagine a midfield two consisting of Ndidi/Maddison. That would have been a murder.

We went in a more offensive midfield 3 with only one real DM and a box to box CM (Tielemans) against Spurs and Palace and got spanked. Each time. In fact, every time we ditched the 2 DM cover and/or went for the attack, we conceded at least three goals. 

10 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

You can't possibly imagine a midfield two consisting of Ndidi/Maddison. That would have been a murder.

We went in a more offensive midfield 3 with only one real DM and a box to box CM (Tielemans) against Spurs and Palace and got spanked. Each time. In fact, every time we ditched the 2 DM cover and/or went for the attack, we conceded at least three goals. 

Of course you don’t just build a team around 2 defensive midfielders then swap one for a more attacking player and expect it to work. You need to re balance the side.

The whole point of the double pivot is to create a strong platform in the middle that allows the full backs to overlap creating space on the flanks. That is largely pointless as all that ends up happening is soft floaty crosses into Vardy and a well set defence. To break the double pivot you need to re think the whole approach. Either keep the full backs at home and have a better organised back line and launch more attacks through the middle this way you only need 1 player to screen the back 4. Or go 3 at the back, play to Maguire’s strengths, he can step out and support the midfield while Morgan and Evans keep it tight and the wing backs can still attack.

The whole system was fundamentally flawed and not suited to our players. It left us exposed and made it so easy to nullify and Puel didn’t do enough to actually address the issues, he just shuffled the pack. Even the 433 against Spurs and Palace still looked like 4231 to me and still had the same fundamental flaws.

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Statistically he gave almost double the amount of game time to young players than any other manager in the league but if Dave from Syston reckons he doesn't then I'm afraid that trumps you and your so called "facts".  X

Maybe he's Brian Clough reincarnated?

''We discuss the situation calmly, then we decide I was right'' :D

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Babylon said:

The squad is still full of the old guard though. Doesn't take much for the rot to set in behind the scenes if the old pros aren't on board with things. Huth was specifically talking about the change in

style from the title winning season and it was worrying that he seemed to suggest they weren't in board with it because IMO ?/////////we absolutey needed to start adapting our style.

This is right. Certainly the old guard set the tone in the locker room, and that can bring a team down when they are rolling their eyes at Claude and talking shit. Young players learning how to be pros certainly look to veterans like Morgan and Vardy and Kasper for their cues re how to act, and based upon the performances we've seen, and the fact we've fired a manager midseason the last three seasons, there is likely a problem in our locker room. And the culprits appear to be these older players.

If we leave things as they are, whomever comes aboard will shepherd us to a shockingly strong finish, leaving us top-8 or 9, but it doesn't matter who they are, our players will invariably stop giving maximum effort before the end of this calendar year, and we will be hearing similar rumors and complaints bubbling up as the players blame a 5th consecutive manager for their underperforming play. Just like many of us said last season when Claude was joining up, if and when we have this same problem next season, we need to move the players from our title-winning team.

I just hope it isn't too late, as our young players are watching and learning this crap.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

This is a totally myth.

It was a selfish last minute panic bringing Harvey back from West Brom, the guy is great but seeing out the season there would've been better for him/us

Mendy over Hamza

27 year old joke Ghezzal

Chilwell made his debut 2 years pre Puel

N'didi was going backwards

Etc

Not one player bar Chilwell (his attacking, not defending who would of regardless) had improved under his management

I respect your opinion but I disagree whole heartedly. 

The one thing Puel brought to us was a belief in youth. You can’t take that away from him and act as if he isn’t hugely responsible for so many of our emerging youngsters. 

He signed two CBs under the age of 22. Chilwell may have made his debut under a different Manager but Puel gave him his big break. And now he’s an England International. He has tried to continue the development of N’didi - although I think he’s gone backwards under Puel. Though not through a lack of trying. Puel signed Madders. He promoted Barnes to the first team. It wasn’t a panic decision to bring him back from WBA otherwise he wouldn’t be playing so regularly. Gray gets plenty of game time too and he’s slowly developing Hamza. 

You can’t take away the one thing he did well. 

• Like 1

On 24/02/2019 at 18:45, davieG said:

Claude Puel almost worked against the players - Huth

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p071v8fy

I expect this is right on. ..

But why does this cone out now. Faur play to piper who said puels furure in doubt a couple of games a go.  Yet some of us realised that puel was never going to suceed ... back in october and before.

What cant more pundits tell it like it is? ...not the  motd idiots who are too far away from any club....  but the local lcfc pu fits.. too many have to take care of their relationship with the club..   where as huth is a modern era player and is rich enough to say it as it is 

16 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I think it’s common ground that Wilf and Mendy were not the right mix but unlesss you think Silva, Kingy  or Iborra were good enough there wasn’t much else 

Hamza whilst good is a similar type of player, and James has been injured 

Hence the loan signing of Tielemans 

Personally I think Kingy could have been worth a punt as an alternative but I’m less convinced about the suitability of Iborra or Silva for the PL 

Mike i was with you till the king bit (...though i admire and like king... he is not the present let alone the future)

Pl clubs need depth and options in mid field.  Tielemans is yet to sort out his fitness fir the pl... but i doubt he will be here long.   We should have bought him... now his temporary presence just stoos us from developing players who could be the future.

My irritation was continuing to give pl minutes to ghezzel while sending diabate to turkey.  We should have sent rashid to turkey and given minutes to diabate

• Like 1

Diabate isn't good enough.  Neither is Ghezzal.  On the other hand Iborra and Silva, established pros, get binned altogether.  Iborra apparently "too slow", yet how can this be true when the team isn't exactly playing fast flowing football?  Silva just "doesn't look good enough" thanks to a handful of appearances in sub par team cup performances and the occasional league appearance.  But this is all ok because Puel has brought in the youth.  

We've gone too far with bringing in the youth.  We're now too easy to play against, lack grit and determination, fold easily and play pretty tip tap friendly style football into a final 3rd resulting in nothing of note. 

Somebody needs to give them a rocket for the final 11 games and get them going all guns blazing.  I'd change the system and play a back 3 and leave Maguire to press forwards with Evans and Morgan at the back.  Press Chilwell and Ricardo down the flanks.  Play three in CM with Ndidi furthest back and have two roaming behind Vardy + another up front.  Just do something different, needs a shake up.

I'd expect a reaction tomorrow night and can sense a decent win.  

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jakemoore said:

I respect your opinion but I disagree whole heartedly. 

The one thing Puel brought to us was a belief in youth. You can’t take that away from him and act as if he isn’t hugely responsible for so many of our emerging youngsters. 

He signed two CBs under the age of 22. Chilwell may have made his debut under a different Manager but Puel gave him his big break. And now he’s an England International. He has tried to continue the development of N’didi - although I think he’s gone backwards under Puel. Though not through a lack of trying. Puel signed Madders. He promoted Barnes to the first team. It wasn’t a panic decision to bring him back from WBA otherwise he wouldn’t be playing so regularly. Gray gets plenty of game time too and he’s slowly developing Hamza. 

You can’t take away the one thing he did well. 

This is right. Hard to see how leaving Barnes in the championship would be better for him or us. He is one of our brightest players, he is finding his way in the Prem, he will start all the time and be better for it next season. And obviously for us, if he's starting, he's our best option.

Get that boy a goal or two, he'll get his legs under him and he will start firing.

Still think it's such a shame Claude was such a f'ing nightmare interpersonally, he did a lot of good for us, developed young players, bought quality players, and had a terrific plan for building a sustainable competitive advantage by building through youth. Such an unlikable stubborn bastard tho. FFS he didn't half miss on the soft factors of management, and it ruined him again with players and fans. IDK why he cannot get it through his thick skull, he needs to adapt or go back to L1. Or at least pick his jobs better, if he wants to overhaul playing style and alienate players with his line-ups, he needs to go manage a team like West Ham or Fulham or Huddersfield. Someplace just happy to be in the Prem or working to get back, where he can do his secretive, chopping manager crap without complaint so long as he gets or keeps the team playing in the Prem.