Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Excited about the Club for First Time since Summer '17

I've learn't never to expect anything of LCFC I've had so many disappointments over the years way more than the moments of delight and excitement.

Change can bring success but it's no way guaranteed.

Current example - Southhampton.

If anything I'm leaning towards disruption and more disappointment.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I'm not. I can't see a good appointment happening. This is the same board that gave Puel the job.

Exactly this. 

Puel should have gone last summer / never been given it, so cant see how we can be excited at this stage when we could end up with god knows what.

Fearful and awaiting with trepidation would be my feelings at present.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I'm not. I can't see a good appointment happening. This is the same board that gave Puel the job.

Yeah I'm thoroughly pessimistic. 

I did want him gone but while whoever hired him is leading the charge on his replacement I'm not inspired. 

We've shown zero creativity with managerial recruitment probably since we first hired Nigel. 

• Like 2

I’m with you 100%. I don’t ever expect us to get back into the champions league spots so the best I can hope for is to enjoy the matches, be excited by our brand of football and hope for a cup run. I have not been able to do any of these under Puel, he made it clear that cups weren’t a priority and watching his brand of football was a boring as I’ve ever had to watch considering the players at his disposal, I’ve very nearly left the games early several times this season which is something I’ve never considered in over 30 years of going no matter how poor we’ve been.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

What's to get excited about? Most likely scenario if things go well is that Wel have 8 or 10 more points at this stage than we do now. Realistically a new manager is not gonna take this squad and have us even on the outskirts of the cl places!

Obviously the rest of this season  doesn't really matter in terms of position, so long as we stay up. I don't expect us to fight for 7th this season.   

But we can be excited about each individual game. I am hopeful the team will be un-chained, like when Ranieri left and Shakey took over temporarily.    

We might not win most of our games, but I think we will see some passion from the players.

I literally reached the point on Saturday evening when I said to my dad on the journey home that I didnt think I could be bothered with Brighton. 

Never thought I would hear myself wanting to miss a game but that is the Puel effect.

He has sucked the life out of the players, the football and the fans. I just hope whoever takes over can fix that, and quickly.

• Like 4

The bounce from removing Puel will guarantee safety in the league at a minimum but i'm extremely concerned that the board will misinterpret the situation and think the fans wanted Puel gone because they were against the transition and evolution and they will opt to bring in a 'safe' and 'experienced' manager. I really wouldn't be surprised to see either Hughes or Pardew rock up.

The truth is that Puel did a good job at starting the transition and took us as far as he could - what we need now is someone to come and carry on that good work but with a fresh approach, especially to man management.

We need consistency and patience because this team is still in transition and it's not a matter of changing manager or waiting one more game. The sooner we get used to fluctuations of results and mid-table finishes the better.

We have some very good individual, young players. However, to make them all pull together as a team and regularly get results is going to take time.

Just now, Dames said:

The bounce from removing Puel will guarantee safety in the league at a minimum but i'm extremely concerned that the board will misinterpret the situation and think the fans wanted Puel gone because they were against the transition and evolution and they will opt to bring in a 'safe' and 'experienced' manager. I really wouldn't be surprised to see either Hughes or Pardew rock up.

The truth is that Puel did a good job at starting the transition and took us as far as he could - what we need now is someone to come and carry on that good work but with a fresh approach, especially to man management.

No chance. The board/owners know eactly what this club need and are happy to see transition from what we currently are. They thought Puel was the one and it didn't work out. They will make sure they pick someone who can carry on the work Puel started and progress the club further forward with long-term success.

My overwhelming feeling is that of relief.

It was so tedious to watch us under Puel and the downward spiral had to be stopped, better now than never. The cut's still fresh, and I'm not going to overly glee about the sacking of Puel. He surely is a decent man and has his ambitions, principles and goals, but when you repeat the same mistakes over and over and don't learn from them, you're doomed. In this league especially.

I was actually going to give Puel a bit more time, with all the "easy" fixtures now and whatnot. But when you lose 4-1 at home against a rather crappy Crystal Palace side, getting lessons in efficiency from a team managed by Roy Hodgson (again), you know your time is up.

It was an unsustainable working model. This glove just wouldn't fit, and never did. Something was off from the start and Puel never connected to the fans, the players, the club. It was as if he was living in his own world, with its own rules and wonders.

In any case, no matter who takes over can't do much wrong. Most of the sportive damage has already been done, and I'm sure the players will want to pick up and do better on the pitch under the new guidance.

What is clear though, is that the management need to really analyze why it is we've had such a sketchy transfer market record with players following the league title win. Recent signings seem to point in a better direction, but the same should apply to appointing the "right" manager.

Here's to better results in the weeks to come. :fc:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FireFox said:

Obviously the rest of this season  doesn't really matter in terms of position, so long as we stay up. I don't expect us to fight for 7th this season.   

But we can be excited about each individual game. I am hopeful the team will be un-chained, like when Ranieri left and Shakey took over temporarily.    

We might not win most of our games, but I think we will see some passion from the players.

I was actually talking about next season! Come end of Feb next season regardless of who's in charge we're unlikely to be more than 10 or so more points better off than we are now. It could just as easily be less points. I'm also dubious as to how long the excitement you speak of will last this season. You seem to be suggesting that it's going to be like man utd getting rid of mourinho and this mythical all out attack exciting football that we apparently constantly played pre Puel and would have played under most other managers will return. The fact is our players are collectively no better than the rest of the midtable teams and we should be doing better than present but realistically not a great deal better. No manager is going to turn ndidi into pogba or turn the clock back to make vardy better than rashford again, and certainly not Mike stowell. We may well be stuck with him til the summer and that likely means a lot more defeats and there's nothing exciting about that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

I was actually talking about next season! Come end of Feb next season regardless of who's in charge we're unlikely to be more than 10 or so more points better off than we are now. It could just as easily be less points. I'm also dubious as to how long the excitement you speak of will last this season. You seem to be suggesting that it's going to be like man utd getting rid of mourinho and this mythical all out attack exciting football that we apparently constantly played pre Puel and would have played under most other managers will return. The fact is our players are collectively no better than the rest of the midtable teams and we should be doing better than present but realistically not a great deal better. No manager is going to turn ndidi into pogba or turn the clock back to make vardy better than rashford again, and certainly not Mike stowell. We may well be stuck with him til the summer and that likely means a lot more defeats and there's nothing exciting about that.

And this is the problem. We sack a manager and get a response that lasts 10 or so games, then it's back to square one. If we don't find a manager to get the most out of this team and most importantly, have a squad of players that want to play that managers style, we are struggling. It still does need rebuilding in a lot of positions, but hopefully, with the new manager getting a full pre-season, they can work on tactics and buy any players that are needed to fill some gaps.

3 hours ago, Gubbins said:

What's to get excited about? Most likely scenario if things go well is that Wel have 8 or 10 more points at this stage than we do now. Realistically a new manager is not gonna take this squad and have us even on the outskirts of the cl places!

Life eh?  What's the point?

And getting up in the morning.  Why bother?  You only have to do it again the next day.  Might as well stay in bed.

Hopes and dreams you say....?

No, you've lost me.

images.jpeg.ccd1a2b6d311e1faf8d3a198bb2e5d16.jpeg

• Like 1