Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Tielemans

3 hours ago, FIF said:

Tielemans has played some good games for us, maybe double figures games. We should try to sign him but that doesn't mean we should pay £40m or however much Monaco ask for him.

This has Non-sensical written all over it.

I'm sure you'll have to go a long way to find a Leicester fan who doesn't want Tielemans. That doesn't mean we just have to pay what Monaco demand. 

I don't think Tielemans wants to sign for us this early in the window and would prefer to assess his options. Just stumping up the money doesn't get the deal done. We'll be in a much better negotiating position in the next 4-6 weeks if Tielemans isn't wanted by elite clubs and Monaco haven't got a buyer at £40m+. 

Patience is a virtue here and trying to force it through early on probably doesn't help us. If he gets a better offer in the meantime then it's highly likely he wouldn't have joined us anyway. 

36 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's really quite simple, if we have shit loads of cash to spend. Then close to £40m (presuming some of that is offset by Silva) is a complete no brainer. We've tasted the product and seen how good it is. If you can afford  it and it's exactly what you want then just pay the cash. 

Sure, there is the possibility that the scouts have seen another player who is unreal and looks a bargain in comparison. But there are vastly more risks involved in those signings, as they won't be tried and tested in our league or our team. So you weigh up what the finances allow and what the risk / reward is. 

If we can't afford it or it doesn't work in terms of all round squad building, then you need to look at cheaper options that allow you to strengthen say three positions than just one. 

There is no one answer to the problem. 

I'd argue it's the only position in which we HAVE to strengthen. Without a player of his skillset, this hugely promising team won't meet the ambitions it harbours as there'll be too many games where we can't break teams down and with him in there it gives us a much better chance. We need a new striker but it'll be as a backup, we need a new right back but it'll be as a backup. We need a new winger which would possibly overtake Albrighton but if it's simply a case of we only have £30-50m to spend and we don't want to sell any integral first team players to raise funds such as Maguire then i'd use the majority of it on Tielemans. I think our negotiation stance on this transfer will come to bite us.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I'm sure you'll have to go a long way to find a Leicester fan who doesn't want Tielemans. That doesn't mean we just have to pay what Monaco demand. 

I don't think Tielemans wants to sign for us this early in the window and would prefer to assess his options. Just stumping up the money doesn't get the deal done. We'll be in a much better negotiating position in the next 4-6 weeks if Tielemans isn't wanted by elite clubs and Monaco haven't got a buyer at £40m+. 

Patience is a virtue here and trying to force it through early on probably doesn't help us. If he gets a better offer in the meantime then it's highly likely he wouldn't have joined us anyway. 

I suspect the club wants to get it done early because they know that finding an alternative player of similar quality for that position will be difficult and will take time. The last thing we want is to be approaching the end of the transfer window with the situation still unresolved. We absolutely need a quality player in this position and if it isn't going to be Tielmans, then the club needs to know that asap.

Edited by ClaphamFox

Has any normal person on here actually suggested and seriously meant it when said "pay whatever they want". It's one of those utterly meaningless comments that doesn't even warrant a response or an argument against even if anyone has.

But if said figure is £40m, which whilst being excessive considering his time there, it's not silly money now we've seen him play here, presuming 1/4 wish of that can be offset by Silva.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd argue it's the only position in which we HAVE to strengthen. Without a player of his skillset, this hugely promising team won't meet the ambitions it harbours as there'll be too many games where we can't break teams down and with him in there it gives us a much better chance. We need a new striker but it'll be as a backup, we need a new right back but it'll be as a backup. We need a new winger which would possibly overtake Albrighton but if it's simply a case of we only have £30-50m to spend and we don't want to sell any integral first team players to raise funds such as Maguire then i'd use the majority of it on Tielemans. I think our negotiation stance on this transfer will come to bite us.

IMO if we don't buy another very decent striker and a top class winger we can forget pushing on too much. The clock is ticking on Vardy and no matter how brilliant he can be, one injury, or a sudden drop off and we're fecked.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Has any normal person on here actually suggested and seriously meant it when said "pay whatever they want". It's one of those utterly meaningless comments that doesn't even warrant a response or an argument against even if anyone has.

But if said figure is £40m, which whilst being excessive considering his time there, it's not silly money now we've seen him play here, presuming 1/4 wish of that can be offset by Silva.

When you consider his age, his experience, his end product in the division we are in, is soon to become first choice for an elite Belgian national team and just a general feeling and hype about him being a potential world beater, the price tag of £40m is low! The only thing that muddies the water is because Monaco want to sell him. The fact he is unwanted there is making some believe that cuts his value in half. Would James Rodriguez go for half what he's worth?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

IMO if we don't buy another very decent striker and a top class winger we can forget pushing on too much. The clock is ticking on Vardy and no matter how brilliant he can be, one injury, or a sudden drop off and we're fecked.

I agree but the main priority first and foremost is Tielemans. We need the 3 key areas strengthening though if we get anywhere near top 6, this is why selling Maguire has got to be a consideration. I, like you don't think we have huge money available without it, it is lunacy for the club to think it can make in roads in to the top 6 or even top 4 without several more players coming in, but how we get them is the problem.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Was the figure of £40m his value before the loan or is that a more recent one due to his performances for us?

Not 100% sure but in January when the news broke that we were after him, the price was at least what they paid for him which was £20-25m. The £40m figure has cropped up in recent months.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

This is luke warm not hot lol 42 more pages of finance, FM expertise and inane drivel...then its hot!

Don't forget the three pages of "14 seconds" jokes.

FAX.JPG.ae9e2ca97477c82e28d72606dcddf09b.JPG

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree with all this and also I think we need Tielemans.

Since Rogers came in only Liverpool and Man City gained more points than us.  It is true and BR deserves credit for that but you could also say we have this record since Tielemans came in.

It's not just about ability and we know Yourri has that, but it is also about chemisty.  It is no coincidence that Maddison has flourished since YT came in and that Vardy is averaging nearly a goal a game.  We can't just go out and buy that elsewhere on the cheap.  We might have other targets but in the past we tried to replace Kante with Mendy and Drinky with Silva and now we have the dreaded Congerton factor.

Yourri is a great player and fits us perfectly and he also makes our other players better.

In my opinion Tielemans is an absolute must if it is at all possible, even if it means not being able to spend in other areas.

Edited by murphy

If "the professionals" thought Rachid Ghezzal was worth anything more than £3.5m as an emergency back up then, yes, I think I know more than "the professionals." 

Football is full of idiots behind the scenes, look at Manchester United's absolutely insane scattergun approach to recruitment. 

For every undoubtedly brilliant scout and superb judge of talent there's an absolute herbert in a suit sat in a board room somewhere going "Algerians. That worked for us before. Can we get another one of them?" 

If the "professionals" were that flawless, we'd have known Barnes could flourish in the Prem and promote him instead and saved the Ghezzal cash for something else. 

If only our Director of Football had stronger ties with our academy. 

.... Wait a minute.... 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If "the professionals" thought Rachid Ghezzal was worth anything more than £3.5m as an emergency back up then, yes, I think I know more than "the professionals." 

Football is full of idiots behind the scenes, look at Manchester United's absolutely insane scattergun approach to recruitment. 

For every undoubtedly brilliant scout and superb judge of talent there's an absolute herbert in a suit sat in a board room somewhere going "Algerians. That worked for us before. Can we get another one of them?" 

If the "professionals" were that flawless, we'd have known Barnes could flourish in the Prem and promote him instead and saved the Ghezzal cash for something else. 

If only our Director of Football had stronger ties with our academy. 

.... Wait a minute.... 

Or Sunderland Til I die

• Like 1

Hopefully this will move next week after the French league finishes on Friday. Monaco are safe unless a big goal difference swing occurs. I suppose then they will to decide if they retain their coach who is the Silva fan.If he was to leave then Silva is coming back. I think we are looking for a Silva + Cash deal which could bring the 40M down to a manageable 20-25 m.

4 minutes ago, jock2612 said:

Hopefully this will move next week after the French league finishes on Friday. Monaco are safe unless a big goal difference swing occurs. I suppose then they will to decide if they retain their coach who is the Silva fan.If he was to leave then Silva is coming back. I think we are looking for a Silva + Cash deal which could bring the 40M down to a manageable 20-25 m.

Except silva simply isn’t worth 15/20m .......

• Like 4