foxfanazer Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 I'm 29 so I'm old enough to remember the O'Neill era and until the last 5 years or so they were regarded as the glory days amongst Leicester fans of my age. The likes of Izzet and Walsh were always heroes for me and nobody came close to them until our recent success. For me Vardy is our best ever player. The importance of his goals and his overall contribution to this club is incomparable imo. Some will say Mahrez is the best ever but I feel Vardy has been more important to us. Also his whole back story is inspiring. Coming from a working class background with his fair share of hardships and mistakes make him very relatable to the average football fan Where does he rank amongst the older fans? I know of the players in our history like Frank Worthington and Arthur Chandler and Rowley but obviously have never seen them.
Russell sprout Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 I agree I’m 35 so feel I’ve witnessed the best and worst in my time, for me vardy is my all time favourite player and my inspiration in life, where he’s come from, rejection etc,to what can be achieved, though my circumstances are in a complete different working capacity to his
Babylon Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 I think you always have an affinity with the players you grew up. Players like Parker, Thomson, Wright despite being nowhere near as good as some players we've had since, will always be some of my favourites.
Crinklyfox Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 Vardy is great and perhaps I'm looking through tinted specs but I hold players like Banks, Shilton and Weller in very high regard, together with the likes of Walsh and Izzet from later times. Vardy hasn't finished his career but in my eyes he hasn't overtaken them yet.
Steven Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 Not a patch on Frank, not as instinctive as Gary, but he should be applauded for getting the best out of himself.
David Hankey Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 You need to look at the history of Leicester City and the prolific goalscorers they had. Remember they played on ploughed fields not the pristine surafces of today. Arthur Chandler, Arthur Rowley and many more scored a fantastic amount of goals and should always be remembered.
foxfanazer Posted 12 March 2019 Author Posted 12 March 2019 Just now, Crinklyfox said: Vardy is great and perhaps I'm looking through tinted specs but I hold players like Banks, Shilton and Weller in very high regard, together with the likes of Walsh and Izzet from later times. Vardy hasn't finished his career but in my eyes he hasn't overtaken them yet. Interesting. What would he have to do to surpass them in your eyes? Or are you saying it'll take a few years after him retiring to look back and realise what he did?
ScouseFox Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 Just now, David Hankey said: You need to lookat the history of Leicester City and the prolific goalscorers they had and remembered the ploughed fields they used to play on not the pristine surafcesof today. Arthur Chandler, Arthur Rowley and many more scored a fantastic amount of goals and should always be remembered. you’ve also got to remember they were playing when teams played one defender and he was only in defence cos he was too fat to play up front as well. the fact people claim it might’ve been harder to score in those days is absolutely insane.
StriderHiryu Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 One of the best right now, but let's judge him when he's done here. If he bags another trophy and / or gets to 100 Premier League goals then I think the answer will be pretty obvious.
trabuch Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 For what he has done for the club I think he is the best I have seen. Shilton went to Stoke then Forrest - so he's out. Keith Weller was my first hero, then Muzzy - but Vardy has to have contributed more to our club's history. On another note; how many strikers on 98/9 goals (depending on whether you count the charity shield) would have squared it to Tielemens - not Harry Kane that's for sure. And he's so effing cool he then went on to score his hundredth goal twice in the same game - just to remove all doubt. There is no one quite like him.
Crinklyfox Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 1 minute ago, foxfanazer said: Interesting. What would he have to do to surpass them in your eyes? Or are you saying it'll take a few years after him retiring to look back and realise what he did? The players I've mentioned are Leicester legends that spent the best parts of their careers at our club. Vardy is like them in that he's the type of player that I'd turn up to see play. Ask me in ten years (I hope) and Vardy will have passed into legend and I'll probably be putting him in the same bracket. He won't be surpassing them because they all play in different positions, but he'll most likely join them. I could marvel at some of the saves Banks and Shilton made (and they had plenty of practice), delight in the silky skills of Weller and Izzet and admire the leadership and strength of Walsh. Vardy has different talents but they're admirable all the same.
foxy boxing Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 #1, his importance to the team, his goals and all round play, his records with us. from where we signed him. every genereation is different and it is not fair to compare but 'the Vardy story' is an amazing one and one we will all treasure forever.
TiffToff88 Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 10 minutes ago, Steven said: Not a patch on Frank, not as instinctive as Gary, but he should be applauded for getting the best out of himself. I'm assuming you mean Worthington, not Sinclair? ?
davieG Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 7 minutes ago, Babylon said: I think you always have an affinity with the players you grew up. Players like Parker, Thomson, Wright despite being nowhere near as good as some players we've had since, will always be some of my favourites. I agree with this. My initial attraction to LCFC, not being born here was the the likes of Davie Gibson, Mike Stringfellow, Ian King followed by the MON greats. I just add the Championship winning team to my list with particular leanings towards Vardy, Mahrez and Kante. But there have been so many characters I've loved not just for the football skills, Dougan, Parker, Nugent, Fuchs to name but a few. There's just too many too choose from and for so many different reasons that I'll always stick my 1st favourite and best Davie Gibson.
Stevosevic Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 Number 1. Nobody from the MON era comes close to his achievements that's for sure.
La-li-lu-le-lo Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 Probably the greatest, when you consider what he’s had to do to get to the top, and what he’s been able to achieve. He’s superseded most players achievements in less than a decade, which is absurd when you think about it. To go from playing non league football on the verge of giving up, to winning the premier league and playing at the World Cup and the champions league is the kind of stuff that happens in movies. He defied every critic he’s ever had and has frankly smashed it. Just imagine what kind of player we would be talking about if he had been given a chance at a younger age......
foxfanazer Posted 12 March 2019 Author Posted 12 March 2019 6 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said: Probably the greatest, when you consider what he’s had to do to get to the top, and what he’s been able to achieve. He’s superseded most players achievements in less than a decade, which is absurd when you think about it. To go from playing non league football on the verge of giving up, to winning the premier league and playing at the World Cup and the champions league is the kind of stuff that happens in movies. He defied every critic he’s ever had and has frankly smashed it. Just imagine what kind of player we would be talking about if he had been given a chance at a younger age...... I don't think he'd be half the player he is now if he'd have gone pro at an early age. His rawness and direct style would've been coached out of him imo. The hunger he's shown to achieve what he has is what sets him apart for me
La-li-lu-le-lo Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 Just now, foxfanazer said: I don't think he'd be half the player he is now if he'd have gone pro at an early age. His rawness and direct style would've been coached out of him imo. The hunger he's shown to achieve what he has is what sets him apart for me I do agree, I think his past is mainly responsible for his success, but in the same breath you can’t help but wonder, what if he did start younger and carry that same desire?
foxfanazer Posted 12 March 2019 Author Posted 12 March 2019 Just now, La-li-lu-le-lo said: I do agree, I think his past is mainly responsible for his success, but in the same breath you can’t help but wonder, what if he did start younger and carry that same desire? We probably wouldn't have had him for so long
CosbehFox Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 41 minutes ago, David Hankey said: You need to look at the history of Leicester City and the prolific goalscorers they had. Remember they played on ploughed fields not the pristine surafces of today. Arthur Chandler, Arthur Rowley and many more scored a fantastic amount of goals and should always be remembered. They were also allowed to shoulder charge and push goalkeepers over whilst facing a defence of 2. My Grandad used to always tell us that Rowley's goals were largely from high crosses, the keeper spilt it and Rowley scores. Vardy is the best
foxinsocks Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 We have had many great and loyal players. We only had one who scored in 11 consecutive games and was key to our counter attacking football that won the league. There have bern many great players... to pick the best.... Its vardy
Guest Markyblue Posted 12 March 2019 Posted 12 March 2019 Great players at our club over my many years back to 70s. But vardy is no1 in my opinion. Legend
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.